PDA

View Full Version : One Way Landing . I Strips.

Sunfish
9th Oct 2019, 23:50
I might have a one way strip on my property. It’s like an aircraft carrier deck with Seven percent slope downhill for takeoff, then the ground slopes steamer down. useable length is twice ground roll at MTOW and ISA. Obstacle clearances on takeoff seems achievable.

By “one way” I mean landing into rising terrain that I don’t think I can out climb (although I haven’t tried to compute it yet). The exits in event of a baulked landing has to be to the left to parallel the ridge line. I’m not yet sure what the commit/reject point is yet.

I am only tentatively looking. What is the safest way to proceed to evaluate something like this?

compressor stall
10th Oct 2019, 00:05
Are you trying to convince yourself it's a good idea, or do you think it's fine but are looking for hazards.

KRviator
10th Oct 2019, 00:20
I dunno what you're building/have buillt but ISTR it was a Zenith of some kind. Going by what seems to be the most 'limiting' Zenith design, the CH650, an online POH (http://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/2231352514?profile=original) suggests a 1000FPM ROC at around 85-90 SMPH, so a climb gradient of around 7.5* in no wind.

I fly my RV-9 out of a 600M one-way strip (2* upslope on landing) and while I have landed downhill once that was rapidly added to the list of things I won't do again. Flying AOA on approach, rather than speed I find I can be down and stopped in under 200m, but I'm massively overpowered and can achieve a climb gradient approaching 14* in no wind. LDA = LDR*2 is plenty if you are comfortable with your aircraft performance and STOL capabilities and have a pre-planned breakout point at which you are assured of terrain clearance in the event you are not happy. I've lost count of the number of times I've gone around because the headwind died away below the treeline resulting in a rapid increase decrease in IAS or just plan not comfortable with the way things were looking.

First you need to verify your individual aircraft performance. If you have an EFIS, this is easy. Determine your best ROC speed and from that, your rate. Basic trig then gives you climb gradient and you can determine if it is suitable and something you're comfortable with given your approach path and missed approach track.

Sir HC
10th Oct 2019, 01:28
Depending on the sketchiness of the strip, you need to have a decision point (anywhere from several miles back, to crossing the threshold) if you aren't stable and configured for landing at this point, you go around. After this point, you are committed to landing (or crashing on the airstrip). Practice going around from that decision point to determine whether the safety margin can be decreased, obviously always work down, not up. That decision point may change with time and familiarity on both aircraft and airstrip but it shall always be given the respect it deserves.

Squawk7700
10th Oct 2019, 03:32
In order to takeoff or land, you will first need a finished and flying aircraft.

BDAttitude
10th Oct 2019, 06:36
... I've gone around because the headwind died away below the treeline resulting in a rapid increase in IAS ...

I've found that to be the other way round.

For someone who learned to fly on gliders beeing commited to a one shot only landing doesn't seem a big deal.
Approach and flare into a steep slope should be trained in advance however. In Europe there would be some infamous airfields in Switzerland and France to go to with an instructor for training. Maybe you have something like down there as well.

currawong
10th Oct 2019, 07:03
Does the aircraft have the energy/ performance to counter any sink you might encounter just off the end ie between short finals and touchdown?

Common scenario in the type of strip described.

KRviator
10th Oct 2019, 07:25
I've found that to be the other way round.

For someone who learned to fly on gliders beeing commited to a one shot only landing doesn't seem a big deal.
Approach and flare into a steep slope should be trained in advance however. In Europe there would be some infamous airfields in Switzerland and France to go to with an instructor for training. Maybe you have something like down there as well.Yep, you're right. :ouch: Too much time in the sun today on my RDO is my excuse, and I'm sticking to it! :}

Either way, short, performance limiting strips need to be approached (pardon the pun!) that a go-around if ops-normal is something doesn't look right. The goal is to get down in one piece - getting down off the first approach is a bonus!

Old Akro
10th Oct 2019, 08:27
Sunny

Its really going to come down to your judgement. But I think you are right in looking for a level of comfort before you try. Why not look for another airport with a 7% slope and give it a try. It should be pretty easy to estimate your climb gradient which you can overlay on your hypothetical runway. 7% might be steeper than you think. Freeway / Highway gradients are generally less than 4-5% and I don't know any (sealed) road that is greater than about 18%. The Mt Hotham runway is 5%. But I'm sure your esteemed pprune colleagues might make some suggestions.

Global Aviator
10th Oct 2019, 08:47
In today’s liable society what are your insurance implications? If you self insure then no issue? Genuine question!

I know I’ve flown into some interesting airstrips back in the day. Clay pans, roads, ole WWII strips (the best!!!), nothing like what the PNG guys have done but interesting none the less.

Ahhh would love a property with a strip out the back or would that be a lagoon out the front???

Put a bigger donkey up the front if your still building it?

Otherwise buy a storch :) ...

Pinky the pilot
10th Oct 2019, 09:18
Sunfish; If you are really set on a one way strip I suggest that you contact a few former ex PNG types who used to regularly post on this site.

Such as Ozexpat or Chimbu Chuckles.:ok:

Don't ask me! My TT in that place is only around 800 or so hours so I was still very much a novice!:=
However, FWIW, my initial reaction to your post is/was

"Forget about it!":=

machtuk
10th Oct 2019, 09:30
Apart from the physical limitations one has to ask what 'price' do you put on yr life as well as others whom might be subjected to potential high risk? It's all personel choice of course -:)

LeadSled
10th Oct 2019, 10:00
Sunny,
At the risk of sounding a bit of a wet blanket, please review the criteria for what used to be called an ALA.
What is acceptable for an Ag. operation or PNG is a little different. From memory, CASR Part 139.
Tootle pip!!