PDA

View Full Version : PPL Theory Exams

ChrisLondon
9th Oct 2019, 13:58
Hello there,

I'm starting to study for the PPL exams (currently taking my lessons in France but living in London) and am struggling to find a definitive answer to some questions.
Where can I actually sit the exams in central London? Is there no organisations that allows it?
I understand that these needs to be done in an ATO center (so most local airport/flying school would do, which I guess I can just call directly and arrange the exams but I'm trying to find a closer solution for the theory exams to save a bit of time)

Thanks a lot!
Chris

BillieBob
9th Oct 2019, 16:35
PPL examinations are set nationally so you may find that instruction received in France may not prepare you properly for the UK examinations. You will also need a recommendation from the ATO or DTO providing the theoretical knowledge course before you will be permitted to sit the exams. The list of UK DTOs is here (https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/About-the-GA-unit/Declared-Training-Organisations/), there are a few with addresses in London

ChrisLondon
9th Oct 2019, 17:21
Hello BillieBob,

Thank you! This list is very useful - there is one DTO centre which is literally 5 min walk from my place, I will contact them directly to see if they would allow me to sit the exams (I'm studying using the Pooleys books to prepare for the UK examinations)

memories of px
12th Oct 2019, 17:21
i thought there was no requirement for a theoretical knowledge course these days.

S-Works
12th Oct 2019, 19:45
You will not be allowed to use the U.K. exams against a non UK licence.

BillieBob
13th Oct 2019, 08:53
i thought there was no requirement for a theoretical knowledge course these days.Then you thought wrong, I'm afraid.
FCL.210 Training Course
(a) Applicants for a BPL, SPL or PPL shall complete a training course at a DTO or at an ATO.

(b) The course shall include theoretical knowledge and flight instruction appropriate to the privileges of the BPL, SPL or PPL applied for.

(c) Theoretical knowledge instruction and flight instruction may be completed at a DTO or at an ATO different from the one where applicants have commenced their training.
The requirement for at least 100 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction has been removed in the UK and, at the next amendment to Part-FCL will be removed throughout Europe but the requirement for a course remains.

memories of px
13th Oct 2019, 09:31
ah yes, it was the 100 hours bit thats been done away with.