PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate shoes in an airliner cockpit

Siver Sjumarken
8th Oct 2019, 21:18
Hi!
I am an aviation student and I have a question.

I have something called haglunds-hael, which means I can't wear shoes which are hard around the heel, like "suit shoes". The condition makes it painful and extremely uncomfortable, so I am only able to wear sneakers or shoes with a soft material. I believe all airlines have black "suit shoes" as their uniform and dress code, but do anybody believe for it to be possible for an exception? That I could for example wear nice, black sneakers that don't "stick out" instead? Or at least black shoes that look nice.

(I am thinking about operating, but I believe it won't affect my relationship with hard cased shoes)

Thank you!
Kind regards
Troubled aviaton student.

Intruder
9th Oct 2019, 15:07
I always wore black leather sneaker-like "walking shoes". You can find them in several brands, and some are almost indistinguishable from "suit shoes".

nonsense
9th Oct 2019, 15:55
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haglund%27s_syndrome

Simplythebeast
9th Oct 2019, 17:31
In many Countries your employer would be required to make reasonable adjustments which might include not restricting you to uniform footwear.

beamer
9th Oct 2019, 19:35
Not sure too many people would notice !

OhNoCB
9th Oct 2019, 23:04
What about a pair of black Chelsea style boots? A good few people I work with (myself included) wear boots and I personally find them much more comfortable and softer at the back than most shoes. No idea about your condition so just a thought.