PDA

View Full Version : How difficult is Instrument rating, and IFR in general.

yap800
7th Oct 2019, 19:11
How difficult is the instrument rating (part of the CPL/MEIR stage) in comparison to other parts of the flying e.g. CPL test.
In terms of learning to fly IFR in general?
Preparing for the test?
Doing the actual test/ passing.

It's the part I'm most worried about

eckhard
7th Oct 2019, 19:41
It’s difficult.

But, like a lot of difficult skills, it can be trained for and learned. The keys to success are: thorough preparation and knowledge of what is required; a good instructor; and plenty of practice.

To fly safely under IFR (and to pass the test), you must:

§ Be able to fly on instruments with relaxed confidence. If this element is “hard work”, the other bits of the puzzle will not receive adequate attention. Smooth, accurate control of height, heading, speed and trim in different configurations is absolutely crucial

§ Be able to use all the aids in the aircraft to navigate. You must know where you are, where you want to go, how to guide yourself there and how to monitor your progress along the route in 4 dimensions.

§ Be able to liaise confidently with ATC. Preparing and filing your flight plan, obtaining your clearance, making position reports as required and maintaining a mental model of other traffic around you are all vital skills.

§ Be able to operate your aircraft in accordance with your school’s manuals, policies and checklists; as well as the SERA and other relevant legislation.

§ Have a good working knowledge of air law, meteorology, radio aids and instruments.

A good instructor will get you to develop a routine flow during cruising flight, which will tie all the above elements together into a smooth operation. Techniques such as prioritisation, cockpit discipline, organised paperwork/tablet displays and workload management will all help.

The privileges and responsibilities that go with a professional licence and instrument rating are serious and wide-ranging. It’s right that entry into this exclusive club is restricted to those who can prove that they can safely and reliably perform to the required standards.

Once you can do it, it’s also very enjoyable but I agree that getting there is tough!

Good luck!

rudestuff
7th Oct 2019, 19:50
How difficult is the instrument rating (part of the CPL/MEIR stage) in comparison to other parts of the flying e.g. CPL test.
In terms of learning to fly IFR in general?
Preparing for the test?
Doing the actual test/ passing.

It's the part I'm most worried about

I flew over 1000 hours as a VFR pilot before I got my instrument rating. During that time there was one thing I knew for sure: I KNEW that the Instrument Rating was the hardest thing in aviation. It’s a 45/55 hour course so it MUST be hard. I KNEW it was going to be hard, and I KNEW that to pass I was going to have to buy my own flight simulator to practice all the exercises. I spent £2,000 on a high spec gaming PC, screens, yoke pedals etc. Then I started IR training. I started on a Wednesday and planned to set up the flight sim at the weekend.
Imagine my surprise when my instructor said, on Friday, after 6 hours: “Right. You have covered everything you need to know. The rest is just practice now.”
What?!?! “Yup, we’re going to do this **** for another 39 hours. You’ll be ready long before then...”

IFR flying is procedural, not some kind of black magic. No looking out the window and wondering where you are - you’re 12.6NM from XXX. If you can think your way around a map it’s a piece of cake. ILS? Easy. Follow a gps line? Easy. Track a VOR? Easy. You will spend most of your time flying NDB holds and approaches, and once you understand “pull the tail” even that’s not that hard.

parkfell
7th Oct 2019, 21:04
Success in achieving a CPL/IR starts many months before during the first 20 hours of flying.

A talented student with a competent instructor will learn the ability to select the appropriate attitudes & TRIM.

HOLD ( the attitude )

TRIM ( when you start to reach the ‘neutral point’ begin to relax your grip, so that only finger and thumb are in contact with the cc. You will ‘feel’ any excess pressure. Small trim movement to remove this final pressure )

CHECK ( remove your hand completely for a second or so. is the attitude STABLE?)

ADJUST ( fine tuning if required )

Achieve this basic, but fundamental skill, and the training will be straightforward.

Quite simply LOW workload ( not having to constantly fight to control the ac ) results in HIGH situational awareness & increased mental capacity.

INABILITY TO SELECT AN ATTITUDE & TRIM WILL INHIBIT PROGRESS