PDA

View Full Version : CPR

Crosswhinge
7th Oct 2019, 11:00
The usual response for an unconscious person is to place them in the recovery position.
Clear airway.
Check pulse.
If no pulse start CPR.
If there is a pulse check for breathing.

Now in a noisey plane how does one check for breathing?

Any suggestions?

Fostex
7th Oct 2019, 12:13
General guidance is "Look, Listen, Feel" - in the absence of listen

Look for movement of chest/abdomen.

Feel for air movement on your face or check for condensation of moist air from respiration on a cold surface, i.e. a mirror

Radgirl
7th Oct 2019, 20:13
Put your hand on the upper abdomen, palm towards the patient and fingers pointing towards the head.

Gentle in and out movement signifies breathing

rocking violent movement signifies obstruction

no movement signifies no breathing

mothminor
7th Oct 2019, 20:38
Put your hand on the upper abdomen, palm towards the patient and fingers pointing towards the head.

Gentle in and out movement signifies breathing

rocking violent movement signifies obstruction

no movement signifies no breathing

Thanks Radgirl, I`ll remember that

Blues&twos
26th Oct 2019, 17:50
Just a quickie - for a few years now (in the UK at least) first aiders do not check for a pulse. Instead, the signs for breathing discussed above and a general check of patient complexion/blueness around the lips (etc) indicate that there is/is not circulation.

The reason for dropping the pulse check was that a significant number of people were very poor in finding one when it was present - so if you didn't find it, was the problem you, or the lack of circulation?

gingernut
27th Oct 2019, 21:24
In a "real" situation, it is actually quite obvious :-)

simone993
28th Oct 2019, 18:28
In a real life situation It is most of the times quite clear but there are some symptoms (in some cases) that may lead you to think that there is a respiratory activity (eg Gasping); if you apply the golden rules of BLS protocol you'll take the right decision with very tiny chance of making the wrong evaluation. The chest motion during the breathing process is a good sign for the evaluation (in the case of gasping there is air coming out of the month but if you look at the chest you'll see no movement or abnormal and "aritmic" movement) as Radgirl well explained!

Repos
28th Oct 2019, 19:55
I had to do this one one occasion at a social function when a big guy went down with some kind of seizure. (Watch Luca Brasi getting garotted in 'The Godfather' if you want an idea of what I mean)
I listened and felt for breathing but in less than a minute it was the colour of his face and lips that told the story.

Anyway, this video is short, sweet and to the point.
In the FAQs it points out that even if someone is breathing you probably won't do any harm. so I guess the message is if in doubt, get on with it.

https://www.redcross.org.uk/first-aid/learn-first-aid/unresponsive-and-not-breathing