PDA

View Full Version : Pilot checklist oversight saw passengers at possible risk of hypoxia

PPRuNeUser0198
7th Oct 2019, 09:08
Over at Tigerair An investigation has found the pilots of a Tigerair Australia flight from Sydney to Melbourne overlooked a basic checklist item, potentially depriving passengers of oxygen

https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/10/tigerair-australia-boeing-737-800-took-off-with-cabin-unpressurised-atsb/

wheels_down
7th Oct 2019, 09:43
Why not add it on the checklist like many others do? Conduct all these safety roadshows with higher ups as you wish, but adding it on the list is a relatively simple safeguard.

Is it on the VA Checklist?

wheels_down
7th Oct 2019, 09:51
They’re a flying circus...No idea why this surprises anyone.
It’s a product of Virgin’s training department is it not?

Green.Dot
7th Oct 2019, 22:06
They’re a flying circus...No idea why this surprises anyone.

if you think this stuff only happens at low cost carriers you are very ignorant. Remember the time QF almost flew a 330 in to terrain at Melbourne? The majority of TT pilots, are very good at what they do, management on the other hand... 🙄

Lookleft
8th Oct 2019, 01:04
The problem is the antiquated design of the 737. Its not the first time the setting of the bleed air and packs has been mishandled,remember Helios?

Street garbage
8th Oct 2019, 02:32
The problem is the antiquated design of the 737. Its not the first time the setting of the bleed air and packs has been mishandled,remember Helios?
Totally agree, you have to be totally disciplined to check switch positioning in the after takeoff procedure (covered by the checklist) and cabin altitude/ rate in the initial climb, otherwise the first warning you will get is Cabin Alt intermittent horn/ light. For the 100th time this week, thanks Southwest for leaving us with a 1960's design.
WillietheWimp, I find your comments offensive..and I'm QF

Berealgetreal
8th Oct 2019, 03:03
Helios was the pressurisation mode selector left in “MAN” after engineering had left it there from memory. The Helios crew thought it was the take off configuration horn continuing climb whilst trouble shooting. Masks dropped, and nobody called the front end I think was the case.

Lookleft
8th Oct 2019, 03:12
Thats correct but the position oft the switch still needs to be checked by the crew. Ryanair nearly lost an aircraft due to missetting of the packs and bleed and Westjet had a similar issue when the APU was switched off once airborne and the bleeds had not been configured properly. The whole system on the 737 is too reliant on too many switches being in the correct position every single flight. Tiger won't have this problem on their A320's.

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2000/a00p0101/a00p0101.pdf

http://avherald.com/h?article=43cfbada

Berealgetreal
8th Oct 2019, 03:45
True, it’s very unforgiving. Unless the MAX gets scrapped I can’t see it changing and I doubt they could afford an entire fleet change across to Airbus or the like any time soon.

PPRuNeUser0198
8th Oct 2019, 04:00
https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/10/tigerair-australia-boeing-737-800-took-off-with-cabin-unpressurised-atsb/

B2N2
8th Oct 2019, 04:01
Not that it matters considering the number of brain dead passengers we already have.

Servo
8th Oct 2019, 05:52
So after start checklist was not completed or missed items and after takeoff checklist the same.

I like to put a pack on after #2 is started and isolation valved closed before starting#1 at least one pack will be available.

As others said, very disciplined with the above two checklists.

Usually after clean up, I have a quick glance at the cabin rate of climb, pack switches and flaps indicator.

There for but the grace of God go I. Hopefully I never repeat the same.

The 737 can be unforgiving. Steam driven.

Maybe the crew were off the A320, had a loooong day and tired.

clark y
8th Oct 2019, 09:39
Is this similar to a QF incident several years ago when incorrect switching of the fuel system caused a B737 to basically run the wing tanks dry before the centre fuel tank?

Seems to be a few ergonomic issues with the B737.

Centaurus
8th Oct 2019, 14:47
Seems to be a few ergonomic issues with the B737.
Few aircraft have the perfect cockpit.
Some need more care in switch flicking than others, that's all. If you thought the 737 has a few ergonomic issues, take a gander at the Vickers Viscount and Concorde cockpits - among others. That said, I would prefer to cope with ergonomic problems than flying certain well known types with throttles that don't move and side stick controllers that work independently leaving one pilot to guess if the other guy will leave his flare too late and shake the false teeth of elderly passengers..

morno
8th Oct 2019, 19:03
Few aircraft have the perfect cockpit.
Some need more care in switch flicking than others, that's all. If you thought the 737 has a few ergonomic issues, take a gander at the Vickers Viscount and Concorde cockpits - among others. That said, I would prefer to cope with ergonomic problems than flying certain well known types with throttles that don't move and side stick controllers that work independently leaving one pilot to guess if the other guy will leave his flare too late and shake the false teeth of elderly passengers..

I agree with the sidestick thing. I think that Airbus should have come up with a way to integrate that into the design.

But the thrust levers.... give me an example of when it’s been a problem. I’ve been flying the Bus for several years now and it doesn’t take that long to adjust to. Makes you think a bit more about what the engines are doing rather than an expectation through a thrust lever position.

Give me an ergonomic, well laid out, and easy to use Airbus overhead panel over anything Boeing every day of the week!

Green.Dot
8th Oct 2019, 20:01
I too will take the Airbus over the Maggot any day. Domestic sectors made so much easier. The difference in aerodynamic noise means no headsets in the cruise in the bus. Add a tray table and those two things alone makes for a less fatiguing day out. Airbus does better workload sharing between Capt and FO during turnarounds. Don’t get me started on the 737 cockpit. A pig with lipstick that should have been slaughtered years ago.

Blitzkrieger
8th Oct 2019, 22:18
Does anyone know what happened to the crew? Is the just culture alive and well at Tiger?