PDA

View Full Version : EASA SEP (LAND) Privilages

chitty1989
5th Oct 2019, 17:42
Hi all,

I’ve just got back in to flying after 9 years and getting up to speed with the latest regulations etc.

My question refers to flying different types within the SEP class.

So basically, I currently fly the PA28 but if I was wanting to fly a C172 would I have to have differences training or not? Would I need differences training if it’s the same manufacturer such as PA38.

I’m lead to believe that if you’ve held the licence for over 2 years you do NOT require differences training.

It’s handy to know exactly when I need differences training.

What about flying a glass cockpit, are you required to get training or not?

I would like to point out that I would get differences training but I’m wanting to understand the regulations properly.

Thanks

breakdip
6th Oct 2019, 11:31
So basically, I currently fly the PA28 but if I was wanting to fly a C172 would I have to have differences training or not? Would I need differences training if it’s the same manufacturer such as PA38.

I’m lead to believe that if you’ve held the licence for over 2 years you do NOT require differences training.

What about flying a glass cockpit, are you required to get training or not?

I would like to point out that I would get differences training but I’m wanting to understand the regulations properly.

Thanks

Welcome back in the air! Your last sentence portraits it well, there are regulations, and there is airmanship. Difference training is, in my opinion, always the way to go. No matter whether you change to an aircraft from the same manufacturer, or if you change from cockpits.
When you have obtained a SEP class rating (valid for 24 months), you are legally allowed to fly every aircraft in that class. However, from a renter's perspective (e.g., private owner, flight school, shared-participations), there might be additional requirements. For example, a flight school renting out their SEP aircraft will want you to do a checkout flight showing general flight skills together with a couple of landings. Afterward, you will not get an endorsement in your license since you already have a SEP-rating. The renter will clear you to fly their aircraft as you have demonstrated the proper piloting skills. Additional requirements are specific amounts of landings every so many days, but regardless of the minimum legal requirement for that, this could change from renter to renter. If you move to a new renting location, you probably have to do the same routine (even if it is the same type of aircraft).

Hopes this answers your questions. Good luck and enjoy the flying!

Ps. This recent thread might provide you with some good pointers as well: https://www.pprune.org/biz-jets-ag-flying-ga-etc/625422-familiarisation-training-sep-aircraft.html

12th Oct 2019, 07:51
The regulation says that in the same class, to change from one aircraft to another, you do need a training
- either a familiarization training, which is at your discretion and can be self study;
(I read the AFM/POH, look for NTSB/BEA/AAI accident reports, have a chat with people who fly the same kind of plane, and if the airplane looks tricky to handle, I fly general handling with an FI/CRI, if the avionics is complicated, I don't fly IFR until I'm proficient with it)
-or a difference training which requires an FI/CRI endorsement in your logbook, and probably a flight or an FTD training.
I'm not able to understand (and I think nobody actually does) the legal technicalities as to whether the following guidance issued by EASA is mandatory or not, but it's common sense anyway:
- Before flying for the first time a Tail-wheel, Single Power Lever Control, Retractable Undercarriage, Variable Pitch Propeller, Pressurized, Electronic Flight Display, Turbocharged aeroplane, a difference training should be undertaken;
- Otherwise a familiarization training suffice.