PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Passenger Jailed for “Vile” Behaviour

hr2pilot
4th Oct 2019, 23:23
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/alexandros-moustakas-condor-airlines-1.5309337

sb_sfo
5th Oct 2019, 00:10
Well, it's a start...

Raffles S.A.
5th Oct 2019, 00:12
30 days is a very light sentence, it should have been substantially more.

boaclhryul
5th Oct 2019, 01:45
30 days is a very light sentence...

Don't you think that being called "vile" by a Canadian is pretty severe?

kiwi grey
5th Oct 2019, 02:18
30 days is a very light sentence, it should have been substantially more.
This passenger does appear to be a real nasty piece of work, but the 30 days sentence isn't actually so light

He's a German citizen, locked up in a Canadian jail: not so much fun. I'm sure they won't look too hard for German-speaking warders
Now with a criminal record, getting a visa to enter an non-EU country won't be so easy - maybe for life
I'd expect that most of the larger EU airlines will have him on a no-fly list for a l-o-n-g time

Thirty days prison, thirty years to be sorry about the side-effects

foxcharliep2
5th Oct 2019, 07:46
This passenger does appear to be a real nasty piece of work, but the 30 days sentence isn't actually so light

He's a German citizen, locked up in a Canadian jail: not so much fun. I'm sure they won't look too hard for German-speaking warders

3 months would have been better, I agree.

But nowhere in the article does it say the guy is German, and his name certainly is not.

Bend alot
5th Oct 2019, 07:57
https://www.trurodaily.com/news/provincial/german-passenger-sentenced-for-disturbance-that-caused-plane-to-land-in-halifax-221212/

Paul852
5th Oct 2019, 09:26
But nowhere in the article does it say the guy is German, and his name certainly is not.That's true, but it does say that he spoke in German. Surely these days someone's patronymic says nothing about their nationality?

Blue_Circle
5th Oct 2019, 09:36
‘Poor impulse control’ is an excuse for a toddler not a grown adult.

Bend alot
5th Oct 2019, 10:10
That's true, but it does say that he spoke in German. Surely these days someone's patronymic says nothing about their nationality?
A German national has been handed a 60-day jail sentence for endangering the safety of an aircraft in flight.

According to the facts read into the record, Moustakas and two other men — his son Niko Moustakas, 26, and Ingo Hieronymus, 54 — became intoxicated on the Condor flight.

“It’s unfortunate that Mr. Moustakas acted the way that he did, because now he will serve a further month in custody in a foreign institution, paying for the harm that he’s caused. Moreover, he may have a difficult challenge in the future with flying.”

Hieronymus, who also pleaded guilty to both charges, was sentenced earlier in the week to time served of 15 days and fined $5,000.

Niko Moustakas pleaded guilty to endangering the flight by lessening the crew’s ability to perform their duties. He was sentenced June 8 to time served.

As per the link above.

parkfell
5th Oct 2019, 12:11
So the old Q.......why did the cabin crew continue to serve alcohol to the group past a reasonable amount?

It could however be that they had consumed alcohol prior to the flight, before carrying more on board....

A very expensive mistake. Mental health issues?

Boat home....eventually

El Grifo
5th Oct 2019, 14:19
Or it could be that you have not actually bothered to read the full story !
El G.

ExDubai
5th Oct 2019, 14:27
3 months would have been better, I agree.

But nowhere in the article does it say the guy is German, and his name certainly is not.
Don’t know about his citizenship, but he’s living in Germany

Water pilot
5th Oct 2019, 15:41
Moustakas went on to make sexualized threats against the woman and also gave the Nazi salute. He grabbed a second attendant, pinned her arm behind her back and forced her head down to her knees.

Why wasn't that assault? Is it because she was merely a flight attendant? This says something pretty uncomfortable about the way we view them. Do this to a random woman on the street and you (should be) looking 15 years or more in prison.

Council Van
5th Oct 2019, 20:08
I'd expect that most of the larger EU airlines will have him on a no-fly list for a l-o-n-g time

I was told that it would be against some one's human rights under EU law for an airline to ban a passenger who had been disruptive on the flight of another company. This came from a flight deck college so might just be a rumour.

foxcharliep2
5th Oct 2019, 22:13
https://www.trurodaily.com/news/provincial/german-passenger-sentenced-for-disturbance-that-caused-plane-to-land-in-halifax-221212/

Thanks for the link - nationality wasn't clear in the first link.

All Greek to me as well - give him 6 months and let him swim home I say.

manrow
6th Oct 2019, 19:45
"Boat home....eventually"

So does it follow that no airline will accept them as passengers?

BRUpax
6th Oct 2019, 20:02
Unless I've missed something, where was he between June 2018 and the court case now? In jail awaiting trial?

The Range
6th Oct 2019, 21:37
He should be glad that they didn't land in the U.S. He would've gotten a longer sentence.