PDA

View Full Version : Mytravel lite from MAN???

Landing_24R
8th Aug 2002, 15:22
From the Manchester Evening News website

No-frills airline in Manchester talks

MANCHESTER Airport is negotiating to get its first no-frills airline.

Cost-conscious passengers travelling to European cities are currently flocking to Liverpool to pick-up easyJet flights, or to East Midlands or Stansted for other scheduled services.

Manchester-based tour giant MyTravel has now unveiled its new budget airline MyTravelLite - flying from Birmingham.

But today MyTravelLite managing director, Tim Jeans said he had been in discussions about expanding his fledgling scheduled operation with bosses at Manchester Airport.

"It's really a question of when and not if," said Mr Jeans, who used to work for Ryanair.

Manchester Airport is in the middle of a painful cost-cutting programme so it can attract new airlines and budget carriers. It resulted in a series of strikes by security workers who were furious at plans to axe jobs, slash wages and change shift patterns.

It appears that MyTravel, which already operates charter flights out of Manchester Airport, is now convinced it can operate a budget carrier from there.

Mr Jeans said: "We are really keen to got to Manchester. We are and will be holding talks with Manchester in that context.

"We would hope to be in a position to make an announcement about where our next bases will be probably before the end of this year. There's really a sea-change in attitudes in Manchester."

He added it was simply a matter of time before MyTravel launched its budget airline at Manchester, although he added other no-frills carriers may be first at Ringway.

The carrier's first scheduled flights from Birmingham will start on October 1 with prices from £19 one-way, including taxes.

It will initially operate two Airbus 320 aircraft to five destinations from Birmingham, offering single fares from £19 to Belfast, £24 to Paris (Beauvais) and Geneva, and £29 to Alicante and Malaga.

Mr Jeans said: "From today, MyTravelLite will offer the lowest fares to the most popular destinations, on comfortable aircraft, from a large and convenient airport - a winning formula with the biggest winner being passengers."
---

Landing_24R :cool:

lambchopboy
8th Aug 2002, 17:49
why is it that when LBA, BHX, EMA or LPL get new routes etc PEOPLE try and take the limelight by changing the subject to bloody MANCHESTER airport.....RINGWAYMAN i've noticed does the same. Manchester gets more than its fair share (if not more) of new and sometimes exotic routes, so why are its supporters quite hell-bent on making other airports feel insignificant when these other airports haven't even got a chance of competing with the likes of MAN?:mad: :mad:

Sorry....rant over...i apologise for that outburst...just happy that BHX has finally been recognised as an airport where there actually are new routes forthcoming!

Dave

Landing_24R
8th Aug 2002, 20:33
lambchopboy,

I'm sorry if I've offended you in some way, I just hadn't seen it mentioned before- the lack of low-cost operations from Manchester (with the exception of FR to DUB) has been a topic of some debate here in the past, and so I thought it was an interesting 'twist in the tale' that MAN looks like it might get some new low cost routes from a well established charter carrier.

I don't want to detract from the thread, but Manchester also gets more than its' fair share of bashing - just do a search under 'Manchester' on R&N and you'll see what I mean! Whether it deserves it or not, good news/praise for MAN is quite rare!

I wasn't trying to steal the limelight from BHX in any way, the more routes from the UK the better, I say - good luck to 'em! Let's hope the new operation is successful :)

Cheers
Landing_24R :D

lambchopboy
8th Aug 2002, 21:14
Mr Landing....you're so polite i feel bad for writing the last post now...my 'initial ire' was in that last post but the words could've been less potent...my humble apology for the way it was written.
As for Manchester being slated however, I agree with you, it has been. One thing to bear in mind though is that MAN has been slated for things it can put right, given time. BHX fortunately doesn't have these problems, but gets passed over by the airlines because of it's position........something it can't change!

p.s. it also gets missed sometimes due to runway length...i believe the airport is working on that one though

Best regards :D

Landing_24R
9th Aug 2002, 08:11
lambchopboy,

Yes, it's true- Manchester's growth means that it has outstripped its' facilities. Coupled with segregation problems and overcrowded terminals, not to mention unpopular management, Manchester has slipped considerably from its' prime position as the UK's favourite airport- but as you say, location will always be its' biggest draw to the airlines, as well as its humungous capacity- 3 terminals, 2 runways etc. As a Manchester (near)local, obviously I support the airport and honestly believe things will get better once real action is taken with regard to the above problems, but of course only time will tell.

BHX sometimes gets overlooked in my opinion due to its' proximity to the north london airports, such as LTN, STN, and also to a certain extent EMA. It's a shame because access is reasonable, it's not too far away from anywhere and it has a nice shiny terminal. Runway length I don't think should be a problem, 2605 metres to MAN's 3000- it should be fine to accomadate most aircraft except the heaviest, which is probably what you meant anyway :)

No need to apologise, I do take your point and everyone is allowed an opinion- I don't know about you, but I'm far too bloody knackered for an online arguement anyway :D

Cheers
Landing_24R