PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Down Podcast. A compelling interview.

Centaurus
3rd Oct 2019, 12:41
Mosquito Down Podcast. A compelling interview.=centerToday I heard a very interesting interview with a WWII RAF Mosquito pilot who was shot down over occupied Holland. It is well worth listening to - and he has also written a book called Mosquito Down. In 2019 he is 96 years old. The interview can be heard at: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/program...l-rpt/11522300 (https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/frank-dell-rpt/11522300)

Note: For Mods. This was initially posted on Aviation History and Nostalgia which seemed an appropriate forum. There was a disappointing lack of interest. As the pod cast was on Australian ABC radio maybe it might garner more interest here. I sincerely hope so because it is a real gem.

Propjet88
3rd Oct 2019, 22:48
Hi Centaurus,
I absolutely agree.
In a previous life, I had the pleasure of meeting this gentleman - Frank Dell. He is indeed a true gentleman - modest and polite, with true “old school” values of integrity and respect.
Well worth a listen.

Fly Safe
PJ88

megle2
3rd Oct 2019, 23:37
Excellent interview, amazing chap

CaptainMidnight
4th Oct 2019, 01:23
I've read his book; it may have been one recommended here in another thread.

Thanks for the heads-up re the podcast.

compressor stall
4th Oct 2019, 12:23
It's a great listen. Well worth it.

aroa
7th Oct 2019, 04:10
Will chase up a copy.
Similar ripping yarn The Lone Evader. Oz pilot shot down in a Wellington over Belgium. in the early days of WW2.
Others of the crew that survived wanted to head to the coast and/ or Switzerland.... the shorter and obvious routes.
This guy decides to go completely in the opposite direction for SW France thence into Spain.
Off on the hoof,with a wounded leg he eventually gets a bicycle and after 3 months or so, he gets a train ticket for the last bit before a smuggler leads a party of other escapees over the Pyrenees into Spain.
Back in the UK he is not allowed to fly ops over the Continent again.
All on his own...and with the help of some VERY brave French folk.
Bravo, that man.!

ScepticalOptomist
7th Oct 2019, 07:46
Awesome find - thanks Centaurus.

Arm out the window
13th Oct 2019, 00:27
I listened to it a couple of days ago - what a pleasure, or more correctly what an honour, to hear him speak so frankly and compassionately about his experiences. His matter-of-fact descriptions were riveting - the picture he painted of life in his village before he joined the RAF, with the Battle of Britain being carried on overhead and stray bombs and bullets dropping on old ladies and butcher's delivery boys; the aircraft breaking up around him and his oddly peaceful descent through the night sky; the unexplained voices singing in the night that later turned out to be so particularly poignant. Amazing.