PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations:

Ocean Person
2nd Oct 2019, 05:06
Congratulations China on the superb Beijing 70th anniversary military parade. Magnificent spectacle that made me recall the giant billboard sign that is positioned at the entrance to the Chinese satellite launch city of Jiu Quan in the Gobi Desert. The sign is written in both English and Chinese and simply states: “Without haste, Without fear, We conquer the world. “ Verba volant scripto manent.

Ocean Person

ACMS
2nd Oct 2019, 09:12
Congratulations mate you’ve earned yourself a spot on my ignore list.

bye.

MENELAUS
2nd Oct 2019, 09:33
Ocean. Can I just say something?

Air Profit
2nd Oct 2019, 14:05
Congratulations? I suspect the millions of murdered souls (men, women, children) that the CCP is responsible for might have a different word to express. Nothing to be proud of. A threat to the entire world in the making.

SloppyJoe
2nd Oct 2019, 15:41
Why didn't you just ignore it! This is feeding the idiot. Ignoring it would have been sublime. I am now also guilty :ugh:

Air Profit
2nd Oct 2019, 16:05
Sometimes you read something so appallingly offensive it needs calling out. OceanPerson wins the award for the most appallingly offensive post of the month/year/decade. Millions died because of the great CCP. Nothing to boast about.

The Range
2nd Oct 2019, 18:47
May be he is just being sarcastic

lucille
2nd Oct 2019, 20:08
Spend 30 seconds to translate the Latin phrase and you’ll see that Ocean Person was being sardonic in his congratulations. His post was indeed a somber warning to all.

Arfur Dent
2nd Oct 2019, 23:51
WHAT DO YOU MEAN - SOMBER??
Do you mean "Sombre"?? If so, take the trouble to, at least, spell your question correctly.
Innit? FFS.

GMEDX
3rd Oct 2019, 02:17
Not so fast Arthur. He could be a spam using the spam spelling.

Ocean Person
3rd Oct 2019, 04:27
Lucille:
Be assured the word "sardonic" which you used to confuse readers is completely wrong. The words on the sign remain permanently fixed for the world to digest while words like yours fly away. Try again and this time think about what "verba volant scripta manenta" is assuredly saying.

globocnik: (post 3)
If you have something to say then, by all means, please speak up. If you are really from Poland I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Ocean Person

Gnadenburg
3rd Oct 2019, 07:43
Japan and South Korea will pursue a nuclear weapons program before a scenario plays out anything like you suggest OP.

Tens of millions will perish .

The foolishness of tyranny and tyrannise semper deficient .

My Latin hasn’t improved - Alex Johnson was my teacher .

speedyb
3rd Oct 2019, 16:22
Congratulations China on the superb Beijing 70th anniversary military parade. Magnificent spectacle that made me recall the giant billboard sign that is positioned at the entrance to the Chinese satellite launch city of Jiu Quan in the Gobi Desert. The sign is written in both English and Chinese and simply states: “Without haste, Without fear, We conquer the world. “ Verba volant scripto manent.

Ocean Person

You guys are pathetic. Can`t you recognize "tongue in cheek" when you see it???

The Range
3rd Oct 2019, 20:27
Do you mean "Sombre"?? If so, take the trouble to, at least, spell your question correctly.
Innit? FFS.
Somber (US)
Sombre (UK)

Flex88
3rd Oct 2019, 23:32
Somber (US)
Sombre (UK)

"Flap" "Flaps". The Range...Go away !!

PukinDog
4th Oct 2019, 00:03
Innit? FFS.

Your beef is with Noah Webster. He died in 1843, but not before publishing his 70 thousand-word dictionary in 1828, learning 26 languages and, as a young anti-Royalist man that fervently supported the Revolution, sought to remove the French-spelling influence in English words since Frenchified English was still the form used by Georgian aristocracy. Given the choice between an Anglo-Saxon or phonetically-correct spelling version of a word vs a Frenchified/Norman-influenced version, he'd pick the former every time.

Bear in mind, in 1828 when Webster's was published there was no substantial or authoritative British dictionary of English words. The first (incomplete) parts of the Oxford English dictionary weren't published for another half-century, in 1885, and the first complete, bound version of the Oxford English not published until 1928, 100 years after Webster's.

In addition to being an anti-Royalist supporter of the Revolution on a first name basis with the likes of George Washington and Benjamin Franklin (among others) plus obviously being very well-versed in languages, Noah Webster was also reportedly obsessive and kinda weird so if he were alive today you most likely wouldn't win an internet "SombER" vs. SombRE" debate with him since that was the very thing he dedicated his life to and wound him up even more than yourself.