PDA

View Full Version : IR to PIFR

macedonranges
2nd Oct 2019, 01:24
I have changed my IR to a PIFR and I am now having the biggest argument with CASA about the validity of my last IPC
Had a IPC in Aug 18 --- making it valid for one year end of AUG 19
Added PIFR to my rating --therefore my understanding and my instructors understanding is that the validity of the IPC for the PIFR is till AUG 20 when then next IPC will be due

CASA are saying that I would need to conduct a new IPC for the PIFR to be valid

I have been through the regs and found various comments including below EX93/18

Can anyone help me with comments about this as at the moment I am so confused about this.What effect does exemption CASA EX93/18 have on instrument proficiency checks (IPCs)?The IPC exemption means pilots don’t have to have a valid IPC for a pilot type rating to be authorised to exercise the privileges of the pilot type rating. Instead, pilots need to have a valid IPC for a relevant type rated aircraft. There are three criteria relate to the type rating you are exercising:

if you want to exercise the privileges of a pilot type rating, you must have a valid IPC for any type-rated aircraft of the same category that was completed within the previous 24 months
if you want to exercise the privileges of a single-pilot turbojet aeroplane type rating, you must have a valid IPC for any single-pilot turbojet aeroplane type rating that was completed within the previous 24 months
if you want to exercise the privileges of a multi-crew pilot type rating, you must have a valid IPC for any multi-crew type-rating for an aircraft of the same category that was completed within the previous 24 months.

Okihara
2nd Oct 2019, 04:11
I'm not sure if that's relevant but when you say that you changed your IR into a PIFR, do you mean to say that you now have both ratings? I remember reading that the prerequisites for the issuance of a PIFR are met by the holder of an IR. Assuming that you have both, a PIFR is renewed with a flight instructor, not a flight examiner. Is it automatic that an IPC with an examiner also covers you for the PIFR?

evilducky
2nd Oct 2019, 05:03
CASR 61.925 covers private instrument ratings.

1 (D) says you only need to have done AN IPC in an aircraft of the same category in the past 24 months. Doesn’t say anything about that IPC being specific to a private or regular rating.

CIVIL AVIATION SAFETY REGULATIONS 1998 - REG 61.925 Limitations on exercise of privileges of private instrument ratings--flight review (http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/casr1998333/s61.925.html)

The name is Porter
2nd Oct 2019, 09:36
If you got the PIFR issued at the same time as your IR, you can continue on your PIFR past the expiry of the IR. The PIFR is a FR every two years with an IRTA Grade 1 or 2. (and META, if applicable).

Ascend Charlie
3rd Oct 2019, 02:00
The advantage of the PIFR is that it is renewed by a REVIEW, not a TEST. Which means that if you don't get something quite right, instead of "Take me home" it is "Let's have another look at that, shall we?" until you get it right. And then it's good for 2 years. In my case, that was a blessing, as I was flying the only one of its type in the country, and it was extremely difficult to find anybody to do the review.

macedonranges
4th Oct 2019, 04:43
Thanks for all the replies,

Got this from CASA

If you meet the requirements of 61.925 1 (d) you would meet the requirement to exercise the PIR but this does not mean that CASA put the Flight review on your FCL, this is worked out from the date you did the IPC it just won’t reflect on the Part 61 FCL.