PDA

View Full Version : Just Started ATPL writtens

Squawk 2650
8th Aug 2002, 13:47
Hi everyone, I have just started my ATPL writtens with Bristol GS and are finding it very tough. Its not so much the theory, theres just soooooo much of it.
Just wondered if anyone else had just started, or if anyone has actually managed to get through and pass them could give me any advise.
Many thanks, and happy landings
Lee.
:confused:

Baldie Man
8th Aug 2002, 13:52
That is because they are tough! Seriously, just keep plugging away and don't be afraid to get in touch with the instructors at any time. You are paying the money and the only stupid question is the question you don't ask!

Do you find the notes hard to understand because of poor presentation or is it just a steep learning curve for you? Give us more to go on.

BM.

tacpot
8th Aug 2002, 13:53
The feedback I've seen suggests that most people take about a year to learn the material and then pass the exams. Sure you're not panicking prematurely?

Localiser Green
8th Aug 2002, 14:22
Just stick with it. The volume of the stuff is quite overwhelming at first. It took me about 12 months from starting my distance learning (OATS) to passing the last exam. I was also working full-time throughout which made it tough.

When you head off for the 2-week pre-exam refreshers (or whatever Bristol do) it all falls into place. Honest :D

(p.s. as others have said, whatever you do don't be afraid to ask questions. The hours I could have saved just picking up the phone and asking an instructor...:rolleyes: )

quidam
8th Aug 2002, 14:39
Lee,

Agree with all previous, keep plugging away at it. Took me five months of study (as well as full time shift working) to be ready or atleast I thought ready for the brush up course at Bristol.

First few frames are without doubt the hardest and knowing those well will definately make the later ones easier. Think it's all just getting used to studying again(I last studied 10 yrs ago!).

I have some good nmenoics (or however its properly spelt) for some of the later frames.

I missed my brush up course as two weeks b4 it I was involved in a car crash :( so can't help too much with the exams
and more depressingly I'm still studying whilst I heal. Atleast I'll have no excuses if I fail any of them :)

That said I'll e mail you when I have found the memory aids (it takes me time what with me crutches :D )

and feel free to contact me if you get confused or just want a moral support chat. Can't promise to be able to help but as I'm only about 12 miles from Portsmouth I'm fairly close.

Good luck

Q

foghorn
8th Aug 2002, 14:44
Absolutely - keep plugging - it all starts to make sense in the brush up course.

When I went to do my ATPLs one instructor had a mantra that the brush-up was basically worth 15%. So, if you get more than 60% now in your practice test, you're doing about right.

Significantly less and you need to step up the work rate, and make use of all things that available to you - call the instructors, buy the published textbooks and read them thoroughly rather than just relying on the school's notes etc. etc.

Remember that a textbook costs ~£20, but a resit costs more than that, not including the lost time. They're a sound investment as they often give you a different angle on a subject.

cheers!
foggy (14 first time passes :cool:).

wisealderman
8th Aug 2002, 15:15
don't worry mate.

the ground school is one tough and ofter boring slog. You will often wonder why you are learning about things that you will never need to know again, and the fact is most of the work is in your short term memory and you will forget it.

Personally speaking it helps if you have a technical background but not essential. As you have probably been told its the amount of work which is hard to get over....its all about time management.

Feedback also saved my ass.

some exams almost 80% feedback. I suggest you come to oxford for a brush up course and try and get your hands on some feedback.

keep your pecker up.

The WISE alderman.

Canadiankid
8th Aug 2002, 17:27
Keep givin her dude. Take it from someone who spent 2 years in aviation college here in Canada of which most of the ATPL stuff was covered. I also have 3 years experience + 2500 hours and I am finding the JAA stuff kinda like wrapping your mouth around a firehose and turning on the water.

The trick is to not get frustrated and learn what you need to learn. There is quite a bit of filler in the notes. Use your study skills from the past to pick out the important material and focus on it. If you get stuck, drop your pen and go outside and kick the ball around for 5-10. Go back in and look at it again. This stuff is not rocket science, but it can seem that way. Good luck.

Any of you doing your stuff with AFT in Coventry? Any comments on their brush up?? Anyone gonna be there in October?

Hands and feet, hands and feet.

Cheers

monkeyboy
8th Aug 2002, 19:05
Lee, hang on in there! I know it seems daunting at first but slowly it starts to fall into place.

Just remember there are lots of us going through exactly what you're going through so don't be afraid to pipe up on here if you want some moral support!

And just remember, the Brush Ups really put it all into place.

Keep at it mate. :)

timzsta
8th Aug 2002, 19:59
I know where you are coming from Lee, I started mine with London Guildhall two months ago. As the Instructors at my local flying club have said "it's a whoop you have to jump through". My course tutor is excellent, I e-mail him with questions at least twice a week.

Determining the bits you need to know is the tough bit I think, and I think the practice question papers are a very good guide as to what you need to know.

Incidentally my notes have included in them a look at some real aircraft system to kind off "bring it all together" at the end of a section. Do yours? If not and you would like a copy of the bits, drop me an e-mail at [email protected]. I have notes on 737 hydraulic systems and 747-200 electrical system. Also some stuff on 767 airframe. If its of anyhelp get in touch and we can sort something out.

Baldie Man
8th Aug 2002, 21:01
Remember that the JAR aircraft for AGK, Gen Nav & Radio Nav is the B737-400.....apparently.

CaptAirProx
13th Aug 2002, 16:12
Don't worry Lee, after your jumpseat rides on Thursday, life will hopefully become more clear..............

You'll do what ever it takes to get the exams done to get that seat in the sharp end.

There will be a test paper after the 4 sectors regarding performance and technical data for the aircraft.

Ps. Don't forget your licence and passport!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hufty
14th Aug 2002, 15:38
It does look an absolute nightmare doesn't it! I received 2 boxes of binders from Oxford. Just try to break it up into manageable chunks and try to walk through it all slowly without trying to rush. If you don't understand something, resist the temptation to skip it and move on - you will just be left with big knowledge gaps at the end and it is always your weak areas they seem to pick on! The exams aren't rocket science though - solid preparation will ensure a good result.

A and C
15th Aug 2002, 09:16
You have to take it just one day at a time , dont skip things that you dont understand , if in doubt ask a question you can bet that if you did not understand it then 3 or 4 more people sitting in the class also did not get it !.

Regard the whole exam system as a war of atrition with the CAA and every exam pass as a small victory.

There is nothing particulaly hard in the exams but the quantity is the problem that most pople find hardest to deal with.

By industry reputation you have chosen well with the Bristol GS so the support that they will give you should see you through if you put in the hours of work that are required.

Having gone through the system (and now in command of a 737) i can tell you that the ATPL exams are probably the hardest things to cope with as it is all bit accademic and once that is over the rest of the training is much more practical.

In industry terms I found the work required for the ATPL exams second only to that required for the A320 ground engineers course .........that was a real mind blower !.

Good luck Lee .

USE THE RUDDERS
15th Aug 2002, 15:19
Lee

Started Bristol Gs last week so we are in the same boat,but i'm slowly plodding through it.
The folders do look daunting at first but if you take it step by step all will be ok.
I did my South African comm 2 years ago and I admit i've forgotton alot already.

fcom
15th Aug 2002, 15:56
I did it all inside 6 mths with lots of resits and I went to the wire on the last attempt. I wouldnt recomend doing it my way but time was of the escence and I nearly blew it. What I did find beneficial was the type of questions they were asking, and a set pattern emerged as to what areas were not being tested . Navigation for example is no big shakes just plenty of whirly wheel stuff and the plot is a breeze. Instruments was mainly electrical and Mach number, a 4 page revision sheet I came across covered 40% of the exam questions. Air law is tricky so u better read all of that as with Ops procedures. I found Princ.of flt. the hardest of the lot with the feedback not helping a great deal,make sure you know supersonic flt inside and out. Strangely not many questions about Jet engines in AGK. Radio aids seemed to have a lot about satellites and then just the usual run of the mill stuff. Met can be tricky if the paper was set by some git that spent most of his life on an alp and he may ask what the weather is like between 3-4am if there is a hooley blowing from the south west of his barn,very few if any questions on climatology. Flight planning is a straight forward if you've flown airways before. Personally I struggled with the techs so my advice is get all the big ones out of the way first, Instruments, Met, Princ.of flt, Nav,AGK,and in my case Air Law. There is lots of it and as long as they hav'nt changed the exam format this may be of help .Good luck.