PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing Flight School For PPL With Modular Path In Mind

AndyJanson
27th Sep 2019, 22:19
Hi everyone,

I'm finally in a financial position to begin my PPL training and am looking for some recommendations on which flight school to choose. I live near Reading in Berkshire, and currently have my eye on White Waltham Airfield and GoFly Oxford. I had a trial lesson at White Waltham a decade ago and it seemed like a really pleasant place, but I'm planning on obtaining the PPL as the first step on the Modular route towards an ATPL and as far as I'm aware they don't offer the additional ratings beyond the PPL. I've heard that it's of some importance to airlines that you try and stick to a single school if possible to ensure consistency in the training, and GoFly Oxford seem well set up for this purpose.

Does it matter too much where I choose to complete the PPL module of the training? All things being equal I'd probably choose White Waltham for the sake of convenience, but I want to make sure I do this the right way. Any advice or further suggestions/recommendations for schools would be very much appreciated, can't wait to get going at last!

Cheers

paco
28th Sep 2019, 05:50
You can get the ratings later - WW seem to be a good bunch - best thing to do is go and visit, see if you are comfortable. And, of course, that's where we are :)

RichardH
28th Sep 2019, 14:45
It won't make any difference to an airline where you do your PPL via the modular route. Schools trying to flog you a full ATPL course come up with this all the time, don't fall for it. Several students who I instructed ATPL ground school to on the modular system have gone on to successful careers in major airlines. One went from student pilot 4-5 years ago via a smaller UK airline is now RHS for Jet 2 another is at Virgin. It's all about the right attitude & being in the right place at the right time. Going locally for your PPL makes a lot of sense and you can cut your costs & save it for the more expensive flying to come.

However, airlines do tend to prefer to see all the CPL/IR flying done at one place & for the sake of consistency I would agree, but it's the MCC at the end that probably counts more than anything. The most important thing to do before you commit is to get a Class One Medical BEFORE you start training, though you won't need it for a PPL (class 2 sufficient) but without it no CPL.