PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Headset?

Backontrack
8th Aug 2002, 12:13
Does anyone have any tips on buying your first head set? I'm approaching the end of my PPL, going to do hour building in October and need to buy a headset as I've always used the clubs headsets. However, as well as being v.expensive there are also an awful lot to choose from.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

speedy688
8th Aug 2002, 12:55
A 'Dave Clarke' hits the mark, can't really go wrong with these.

FormationFlyer
8th Aug 2002, 13:21
This is a very personal issue.

Personally I find the David clark's large cumbersome blocks of metal which are not easy to adjust (basic model). I personally use Telex Echelon headsets - cheap and fantastic value for money - had 2 headsets for 5 years now without problem...great very very confortable headsets...if you have lots of money there are some nice headsets on the market from bose (400-700ukp!!!!). You biggest choice is ANR or not ANR...but this is usually an issue of cost...

Grivation
8th Aug 2002, 14:03
I have and use a pair of Lightspeed ANR's. They are by far and away the most comfortable headset I've ever tried on. I used to have a pair of David Clarks which were pretty good but the Lightspeeds are miles out front. Have worn them for up to 17 hours (minus 3 quick fuel stops) a couple of times and didn't ever feel the need to take them off.

They get my vote!

Backontrack
8th Aug 2002, 14:29
Thanks for your responses. I'll get out there with the credit card and go and try some out.

Cheers

redsnail
8th Aug 2002, 16:27
I wouldn't go past DC for genuine reliability, ease of maintenance (if req'd) and robustness.
I have used and abused my DC 10-20's for the past 15 years operating in some of the harshest environments around. They never let me down.
My hearing is still sound and the headsets still work. Consider them essential tools of the trade. Tradesman don't buy flimsy flash gear, they buy stuff that is strong and works. Their business depends on it, your hearing does too.
DC 13.4's are quite comfortable and pretty light too.
I am still a bit wary about ANR. The really good units cost a fortune and it's another thing to fail. Personally, all I did was use ear plugs with the headset. Cheap and reliable. It took a week or so for the ears to get used to it. Wouldn't go back now.

If you are stuck in outback Oz or remote Africa you want a head set that doesn't need to be sent back to base for repair.

Bottom line. It's your hearing. Once it is gone, kiss that medical good bye.

CPilotUK
8th Aug 2002, 18:41
I went to Transair Pilot Shop in Central London last Wednesday and tried out their range of headsets on their intercom system. In the end, it came down to choosing either the David Clarke 13.4 passive or the Pilot Communication 17-79 ANR set for £329. In the end I chose the latter.

I would recommend if your budget could stretch, then seriously consider an ANR set. I still can't believe how quiet this set is; for once I can clearly hear my Instructor and the radio.

I personally think that David Clarke sets are overrated. My conclusion after trying out a dozen or so other brands is that there are plenty of other brands that are just as good, if not, better and at the same time costing much less.

Do not buy a headset because of a particular brand; buy one that is well made, comfortable and at the same time affordable.

Broken Wings
8th Aug 2002, 20:50
Backontrack
I flew VC10's in the RAF and the service issued headsets were at best S**t and at worst s**t. Since flying civil multi pistons I looked at the Dave Clarks but thought they were a bit on the expensive side so I settled for the Sennheiser HME 100 and they set me back £160. They fold up into a tiny space and the sound quality and noise attenuation to my wind thrashed ears is superb - and they come with a natty flight bag. Personally I think sound attenuation is probably more important than sound quality. Good luck.

tacpot
8th Aug 2002, 21:11
1. Buy a good quality set. It's worth it for many reasons.

2. Make sure you can get replacement parts - find out where the nearest place to get them fixed is BEFORE you buy. (Don't be fobbed off by the Salesperson "Oh, you can get them fixed anywhere")

3. Make sure you get a hard case for them (for free if you can).

Evo7
9th Aug 2002, 06:56
Buy a second hand pair of DCs. Good headsets, reliable (see Reddo's post) but easy to get repaired if something does go wrong and you can sell them on for what you paid for them....

checks-complete
9th Aug 2002, 10:00
I'll simplify it for you, 'buy cheap, buy twice'

best of luck

Tinstaafl
9th Aug 2002, 11:09
My second hand DC H10-40s are still going strong. I bought them from my instructor in 1984 & they were a few years old then.

In 93 I sent them back to DC in the states to be refurbished. Cost US$70. Came back with new headband & pad, new mike, new leads & a new speaker.

I wouldn't buy anything else. These ones have been used & abused from 45 deg C desert to sub-zero snow & ice.

GJB
9th Aug 2002, 12:21
I tried out my instructors ANR headset and thought they were fantastic.

Presently looking at the Sennheiser HME300 set - anybody had any experience with these?

waspie
10th Aug 2002, 21:22
I have David Clark and I must say I wish I had tried on a different make first, mine a very uncomfortable after 40/45 mins, they itch, get hot.

Non Iron Chippy
10th Aug 2002, 22:41
For years during my PPL days I just took what was lying around in the club and used those, then I was given a pair of DC H10 - 13.4 as a gift. WHOW! the difference that it made to my flying, to wear a comfortable headset was unbelievable, such a small thing made a big change as I went further, I could not recommend this set any higher.

If you wear a headset on a 2hr I/R sortie and then take it off at the end without feeling pain then you have found the set that works for you!

I wouldn't ride a bike or drive a cart without my own helmet and I will not take control of a light aircraft without my own trusty DC's, what ever set you choose they will become part of you.

I have been in busy airspace in a lowly PA28 with incompatible headsets. NIGHTMARE!!!

penguin
11th Aug 2002, 23:33
Save your hearings and get yourself something with ANR.

mixture
11th Aug 2002, 23:37
Two important points ......

1/ Get ANR

Someone here said :

> I am still a bit wary about ANR .......... it's another thing to fail.

On the DC models, if ANR fails, the headset becomes a passive headset and remains fully operational.

ANR is amazing ..... why continue living in the dark ages of the passive headset ?

2/ FORGET ABOUT COST :mad: :mad:

People who say stuff like :

>The really good units cost a fortune

REALLY DRIVE ME MAD !:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You only have one pair of ears ...... no matter how much you pay your doctor, he can't fix loss of auditory perception.

Spend £500 on a headset .......

It's going to be of decent quality for that price ....so I bet it will last somewhere between 5 and 10 years ..... that's £50 to £100 a year .....

Come on, we happily spend around £100 /hour to rent an aircraft to go flying ...... so why on earth make a fuss over a one off investment of £500 which will protect something priceless.

Face it, once you lose your hearing , you lose your medical ..... once you lose your medical you're grounded .....

P.S. Sorry for quoting one individual's posting above ..... my post was not specifically targeted at you. Just everybody who gives the above as excuses.