PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building in Las Vegas

CAP509castaway
26th Sep 2019, 12:44
Looking for recommendations for hour building in Las Vegas preferably at Henderson airfield in a Cessna 150/2

cavok_flyer
29th Sep 2019, 11:51
Don't know about Henderson, but I always chartered from https://www.westairaviation.com/oldweb/html/our_fleet.html at North Las Vegas. Yes, KVGT is further away from The Strip, but they have lots of parallel runways, and is not as busy. The 172s are not as cheap as a 152, but I think that 150/2 would be a dog at that density altitude. Don't forget to fly to Furnace Cree (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furnace_Creek_Airport)k, lowest airfield in the USA!:ok:

cavok_flyer
29th Sep 2019, 12:14
My bad -> KVGT is Henderson :O

CAP509castaway
30th Sep 2019, 10:30
Thanks for the reply

340drvr
30th Sep 2019, 11:15
My bad -> KVGT is Henderson :O

Henderson, KHND is on the south side of the Las Vegas area, and, KVGT, North Las Vegas airport is, as implied, on the north side. Without getting out the surveyor's tape, both are pretty close to the same distance to "the Strip." I don't know about the flight school or rental details at either one, both are pretty busy GA airports. You're right cavok_flyer, a 150/152, though flyable in early morning, would be pretty anemic when temperatures heat up. Though I've never done training-type flights, I arrive/depart from both several times a year, and I'd guess HND to be somewhat less busy, and perhaps easier to get to practice areas or enroute, simply because VGT, being so close to Nellis Air Force Base and military airspace is a bit more "cramped" as to where you can go.

cavok_flyer
30th Sep 2019, 16:29
Sorry about the names again...
I'll just stick to the ICAO codes.

Duchess_Driver
30th Sep 2019, 19:02
Lots of places to go from either Henderson or North. Rented a Cirrus from North Las Vegas and did Big Bear, via Victorville. Did Phoenix in a Seneca. Death Valley/Sedona/Boulder all interesting places.

In that part of the world a 152 would struggle - especially hot/high/heavy.

The chap who I got the aircraft from is not around anymore so can’t help there but the web should provide a few options.

CAP509castaway
12th Oct 2019, 11:44
Thanks for the replies - keep them coming :)