PDA

View Full Version : Air Astana

IFLYyouBREATH
24th Sep 2019, 12:59
Hello,

looking for some feedback regarding Air Astana assessment done at EPST at Utrecht please.

Any info about Air Astana as well is highly appreciated.

Thank you

Flyingviking2018
1st Oct 2019, 04:40
Could I kindly ask for the more inforation regarding Air Astana as well? Thinking assessment will be in Amsterdam, but that shouldn't make a difference, I guess.

IFLYyouBREATH
1st Oct 2019, 17:15
It takes place in Utrecht

Nineshsimbers
18th Oct 2019, 15:46
Hi guys, the assessment takes place in Amsterdam. There are assessment days in November. Could anyone share some info on the two day assessment? Thanks

manolotelo
29th Oct 2019, 18:23
Hi,
i´m attending the assessment in Nov 4/5th to be confirmed this week !! any tips guys ?

thanks

spaflyer
29th Oct 2019, 20:10
Im going as well on 7th 8th any idea what we can expect?

vatir
30th Oct 2019, 13:06
How did you guys apply for this?
I applied and they said as an expat Pilot I have to go through agencies?

DISPLAY_COOL
31st Oct 2019, 13:25
There is sigma aviation services and direct personnel.

Can anyone advise how does it work in terms of your license, do you keep your EASA or change to Kazakh?

Nineshsimbers
4th Nov 2019, 16:58
Hi

Could anyone kindly explain why we need to be based in Kazakhstan? Can I live in England? Or Netherlands?

Thanks

Also sim assessment is in 787>

Jamesflyer1
10th Nov 2019, 00:02
You’ll have to be based there cause it’s their national flag career they’re not gonna base you outside the country

zloi
11th Nov 2019, 06:36
You keep your license and medical and airline will make a local validation for you.

Nineshsimbers
11th Nov 2019, 13:53
If I have to move out to Asia, i expect they accommodate my needs. I need to live at home To serve at my local community. Commuting contract of 3 on 3 off would be splendid

best luck to all of you

zloi
11th Nov 2019, 14:31
They have roster 6/2 (weeks) for expats

Hawker400
11th Nov 2019, 16:13
Nineshsimbers

Good luck with that cocky attitude applying for expat pilot positions

Nineshsimbers
11th Nov 2019, 22:16
Look mate I don’t know what your problem is. I think you’re the fella that has been causing a lot of trouble on these forums. 6 on 2 off contract is fine by me too, cant get everything your way!

Assessment next week. Anyone feel free to Get in touch with me if you are the same.

Jamesflyer1
11th Nov 2019, 22:26
You don’t expect an airline to meet up your requirements when you are the one moving in the country

Hey guys are there any of you who applied with less than 300 hours TT on the website ?

Thanks

Nineshsimbers
11th Nov 2019, 22:32
I know its a big ask, but many airlines in Asia are being flexible and offering good commuting optional/packages...

And you need to apply via an agency such as Sigma, CAE etc.

zloi
12th Nov 2019, 03:16
Kazakhstan is not Asia like China and so on. It's former USSR, so it is like Russia with its own national things. The life quality and conditions are different compared to the Europe, especially to the western part. I worked there for 1 year for another airline, but I'm from Russia and it was hard even for me in some things.

Nineshsimbers
14th Nov 2019, 00:07
fam, it’ll be fine. Live like an expatriate and you are sorted my man.

Nineshsimbers
14th Nov 2019, 00:08
Can anyone please explain how we don’t have to convert our licenses? Just a ‘local validation’. Sounds dodgy as hell.

AMEX
14th Nov 2019, 07:30
if that sounds dodgy as hell to you then you haven’t been around much.
validations are very common. If you want to fly a VP-, M-, 2-, T7-, you do not exchange your licence but get a validation.
if you go to Dubai, you do not exchange your licence but just take an airlaw and once in the pocket, you get a GCAA licence based on your original one. Many, many more examples of validations out there, even for people coming to EASA land ( often limited to 1 year ).

zloi
14th Nov 2019, 09:59
fam, it’ll be fine. Live like an expatriate and you are sorted my man.

hm, interesting... what do you mean like "an expatriate"?

Can anyone please explain how we don’t have to convert our licenses? Just a ‘local validation’. Sounds dodgy as hell.

Company will arrange a validation with local CAA, usually it takes 1-3 months and it's valid for 1 year.
I wouldn't recommend you to change EASA license to the local one:
1. If you have glasses, had some surgeries or have some minor things with your health you will not pass the initial medical. it's still as same as in Russia - everybody should be as healthy as to be able to serve in army's jet fighters.
2. You will need to pass all theory exams in Russian language.
3. You can use this license in Kazakhstan only

Nineshsimbers
14th Nov 2019, 11:38
They give you some nice benefits alongside the job so its not a normal European job. Makes it easier to settle down there, and also save up good money/or pay back training loans.

Hawker400
14th Nov 2019, 13:38
Second hand account but haven't seen it posted. Maybe it helps someone

Feedback Air Astana Screening 11-2019

First day:

Compass Test with a Personality Test CPP

Compass divided into 6 parts

• Maths: time limited (10 minutes), 24 questions, unable moving to next the question without answering the previous one.
• Multitasking (with standard keyboard, not laptop's keyboard): select altitude, speed and heading with key arrows while cancelling warnings by pressing the digit numbers on the calculator Keybord
• Shot term memory: memorize from 1 to 4 parameters and after that you'll have to type them on the following screen, I wrote down the numbers on a paper and then I typed on the proper place, I was allowed to and I did that, it's more demanding, but in my opinion there is less chance of typing wrong numbers
• Spacial awareness: 10 minutes of exercise, 3 instruments, one fixed ADF, one attitude indicator and one fixed compass, basically identify which airplane represents the instruments correct reading
• Advanced flight control: fly a Fight Director with a joystick, step on the ball with a rudder and keep the speed of 170kt with de up/down arrow of the laptop keyboard, generally movements between Fight Director and ball stepping don't have any relation to real fight controls feedback
• ATPL: 30 questions in approximately 20 minutes, but it's not time limited. Questions different from LTJ question bank, but it's not difficult, some questions like icing conditions pretty similar to the text found in the Airbus FCOM. I believe ACE is a better reading to get prepared.

CPP (Checklist Professional Profile) is a personality questionnaire, it consists of 225 personal statements, choose the statement that fits you best. The instruction is to give the first answer that comes to your mind. There are no right or wrong answers, it's not time limited.

Second day:

Simulator briefing for me and more 3 pilots, after that individual quick interview about aviation background and few technical questions, they asked me to explain mechanical backup, TOGA LOCK function, definition of stall and its associated pitch tendency (high speed swept wing aircraft and on small single engine plane)

Simulator session, AMS to BRU, captain as PF, engines were started but we had to taxi from terminal to Rwy 24, normal takeoff and climb, crossing FL 080 HYD G Res OVHT, perform ECAM, landing assessment, CCCP, company says it may be repaired in BRU, continue to destination, go around, landing gear not retracted, simulator freezes, end of exercise.

Captain repositioned to take off, engine failure without damage, reaching status page,simulator freezes, end of exercise.

First officer take off, after rotation loud bangs on engine 2, pull speed, engine stall paper C/L, after turning anti ice ON, engine recovered, repositioned for ILS approach raw data with auto thrust ON. Interception and landing performed with crosswind of 25 kts, BIRD ON.

End of simulator assessment.

At night another interview at the hotel business room, 2 pilots and a HR manager, many personal and background questions, including why Air Astana, what difficults you will face about living in Kazakhstan, strength and weakness as a pilot, and that's it.

No feedback, result will be sent by the agency in 1 or 2 weeks.

DISPLAY_COOL
15th Nov 2019, 12:43
Hawker400 Thank you very much for the secondary feedback.

This is greatly appreciated.

Anyone going to the assesment on the 5th/6th December?

Pilot_29
20th Nov 2019, 13:54
Good day guys and girls.I applied to Air Astana as NTR FO for A320 and took part at selection in October. Assessment was in Utrecht(EPST) and was divided into 5 parts:1)Advanced COMPASS; 2)CPP; 3)Sim on B737; 4)Group Excercise 5)Personal interview
1)Advanced COMPASS was not difficult.It contains Basic Mathematics,Memory,Multitasking(fly ILS using pedals and joystick) and some ATPL questions.
2)CPP-it is 225 questions regarding your personality.It designed to see potential risks from candidate(psyhological).
3)The most difficult for me was B737 sim(as I never had experience on this type during sim).YOU WILL REALLY NEED TO TRIM IT EACH 20 seconds.And simulator was quite incorrect(delays in 3sec. for trimming and other actions).
4)Group-The task-to build the bridge.Aim to look how you work in team and find potential leader.
5)Personal interview-they will ask about your motivation(why you apply;what do you know about AA and so on).The real thing-to explain them why you really need this job.

I didn't pass assesment,and did not received any feedback regarding which part I exactly failed!!! And from 5 candidates they select only 1 guy and asked him to come again for SIM Assesment. Because they aren't sureif his SIM was good or not !!!!!!

Summary: My opinion as an airline pilot, that it is quite unprofessional not to write feedback(for example WizzAir inform you after each step).Main thing you don't know, what was your failures during assesment. And from EPST side is also weird to call again guy for SIM assesment. How is it possible not to be sure about SIM??? It is additional expenses for guy to travel from Greece to Utrecht. And also after assesment,I asked HR guy about percentage who passing assesment-and it is only 15-20%.

So,I can only suggest to think twice before going to assessment. As such companies like Air Astana has still soviet mentality and their decision making is very strange! Also according my info-the company is very corrupted (like all Kazachstan), and in such assessments I don't think they will really evaluate your skills.

Davronzulu
10th Dec 2019, 09:42
Hello.
Can you please explain about EASA license validation In Kazakstan? Do i have to pass medical in Kazakstan again or they can provide it based on EASA Medical which i have. You reply will be much appriciated.

Company will arrange a validation with local CAA, usually it takes 1-3 months and it's valid for 1 year.
I wouldn't recommend you to change EASA license to the local one:
1. If you have glasses, had some surgeries or have some minor things with your health you will not pass the initial medical. it's still as same as in Russia - everybody should be as healthy as to be able to serve in army's jet fighters.
2. You will need to pass all theory exams in Russian language.
3. You can use this license in Kazakhstan only[/QUOTE]

zloi
11th Dec 2019, 17:24
Your mailbox was full, so i couldn't answer. You keep your easa license and medical all the time, no need to pass the local ones. The company will just issue a validation through the caa.

Davronzulu
12th Dec 2019, 01:40
Thank you for your reply.

DISPLAY_COOL
12th Dec 2019, 18:16
Hi Guys,

Would anyone know how the sim profile goes?

Cheers)

Flyer4040
21st Dec 2019, 10:13
Hawker400

thanks for the useful info,
have you been accepted?
i was gonna go for dec interview in Amsterdam,but I couldn’t make it unfortunately.

jetjockeyjoe
28th Dec 2019, 16:14
Hi friends,

Does anybody know about the latest procedure? Any recent news?

ImperialPilot
22nd Jan 2020, 13:06
Hi ! is there anyone that did the assessments recently and could give us some feedbacks ?
I just wanted to know also :

- For the Simulator Session : Do they give you some preparation time ? What is the type of aircraft ? (320 / 737 ?)
- For the Interviews : What kind of questions did they asked you?

What would be the best advice you could give for someone going to this screening ?

Thank you in advance.

samrajab
30th Oct 2021, 07:42
Hello everyone,
I just completed the assessment for AirAstana in Istanbul ( 28, and 29,Sep,2021 ), I thought to share my experience....
4 candidates (including me), 2 captain and 2 fo on my day.
Travel arrangements are by the candidate
Hotel is covered by AirAstana.
Very welcoming and warm people, details and information on the airports would be sent few days before the set date.
day 1:
Small briefing ( two captains and HR lady ), aprox 45 min, the main purpose of the Brf is to make you comfortable and to share what is expected from you in the sim.
followed a 10 minute short technical questions (individually).
first set of 2 in the sim (2 hours):
Raw data flying (No autopilot, No auto thrust), Bank angle @25, and V/S @ 1000 FPM
Climb, turn, adjust speed, once achieved the next instruction is issued. for aprox 15 minutes. once your maneuvers are finished, the other pilot does the same.
part 2 of the sim session is simple loft with simple failure, basically to see your work flow, communication and decision making.
I had dispatched with 1 AP inop and 2nd failed in flight.
My partner had Gen 1 Fail.
Once the first Duo is done from the sim they send them to hotel and they do the Compass test on the same day.
we went second in the sim, so we did our compass on day 2.

Day 2:
Startes at 9am with Compass test (aprox 2h), please use LPJ Compass test prep (includes Air Astana modules in it).
Panel interview 45 minutes, simple question about your careers and your experience, and about the sim session on the previous day.

results are sent via email in 2 or 3 weeks, I didn't make it, not much feed back on why, over all experience was very positive, I like the organization, they are very friendly and they make sure your comfortable before you move on to the next step.

Good luck to all.

uberfly
4th Nov 2021, 13:35
Thanks for sharing your experience. At the moment there is only FO position open via their official website. Min 1500 hours flight time and min 500 on type. Do you have any idea if these are hard requirements?

samrajab
15th Nov 2021, 14:49
Not sure honestly i don't know. sorry and good luck

Andreslo752
31st Mar 2022, 23:59
hello guys new day
I have assessment in air astana I still don't have dates and I don't know what I should study
What do you recommend which page and application is more effective to study and after informing them that I am going to the screening, how long can it take?

to go to the tests

thank you all

B-737
9th May 2022, 09:28
Hello

Did you pass the Air Astana screening? How was that?

Best regards

Andreslo752
9th May 2022, 10:24
hellou

the simulator was workable some pressure

what seemed heavy to me was the compass test

you have to study it with time it's difficult
this one has math
short term memory
multiple atp questions
and a physical test

a test with a joistick and pedals

after this an interview with training and with the psychologist

galileo66
11th Jun 2022, 11:49
Hello dude.
:zzz:

i will have assessment in July. Do you have any app o website which could help me to get some training for compas test.

also, how was the sim; MEL, maneuvers, actitudes is insdyructor. Etc.

any help is welcome bro.

Was you in IST?
thank you very much

the simulator was workable some pressure

what seemed heavy to me was the compass test

you have to study it with time it's difficult
this one has math
short term memory
multiple atp questions
and a physical test

a test with a joistick and pedals

after this an interview with training and with the psychologist[/QUOTE]

Jeddah
21st Aug 2022, 21:29
Hello everyone,

I am also looking for tips on which application or website for SHL test and compass test that you advice me to use to help to prepare for it and what are the questions to expect in the interview? What is the interview process?
I requested to do the interview in IST.

Thank you in advance.

smallkid1234
29th Aug 2022, 10:24
Do not go the Assessment. It is a waste of time and money. Save up your money for other airline interview. They are not sincere in selecting a proper candidate. The TRI kid with 5000 total hours and 2000 P1 hours will roast you up. You think that you pass with 1hr 30 minutes interview, after two weeks of waiting, you discovered a 40 minutes interview candidate passed and you failed..:O:=