PDA

View Full Version : Civil Ops From Port Harcourt Naf Base

TomBola
8th Aug 2002, 11:08
Anybody heard what's happening about the NAF base at Port Harcourt? I heard that NAMA had banned all civil operators from using it with effect from 1 August, on the grounds that the navaids there are inadequate for scheduled services when there is an international airport within 15nm with ILS and full facilities.
Has the ban been imposed and does it apply to both fixed wing and helicopters?
If it has been imposed what effect will this have for Aero Contractors Nigeria who have already built a new passenger terminal there and are in the middle of constructing a new hangar and offices? I believe that they are the only operator into the NAF base who had gone as far down the road as this - I guess the other operators will be pretty happy that their own level of financial commitment was not as much if the ban is upheld.
This is not the first time that civil operations have been banned from the NAF base - in a country like Nigeria maybe it's time companies learned the lessons of the past, got wise and built their own civil facilities or created their own facilities at civil airports instead of trusting the military and the government to keep their word.

Airtoday
10th Aug 2002, 21:18
Have a look on the thread on Rotorheads. It is relevant.