PDA

View Full Version : Boarding from the Left

Rwy in Sight
8th Aug 2002, 11:03
The question associated with "why starting right engine first" comes to my mind.

Why SLF board from the left side and cargo is loaded from right. I understand the two are connected but how did this habit started.

Rwy

TheMagus
8th Aug 2002, 13:36
A long time ago I read somewhere that this comes from the nautical world (starboard side and port side).

The old egyptians had the stearing oar on the right side of the ship and consequently had to "park" with the left side to the dock.
This is apparently also the reason why the co-pilot sits on the right and the commander on the left.

3 Holer
8th Aug 2002, 21:20
That's it Magus. Aircraft are piloted from the LEFT seat and are parked from the same seat. Parking guidance devices at most terminals are calibrated for left seat docking.

Aircraft designers figured early in the piece there was not much sense in having the loaders getting tangled up with the passengers,so pax board from the left and baggage is loaded from the right.

pigboat
9th Aug 2002, 00:53
Exception to the rule. American Airlines DST's and DC-3's as well as some United DC-3's, had the passenger door on the right. The front and rear cargo compartment doors were on the left. :)

411A
9th Aug 2002, 02:00
...as well as some models of the CV-240.

*Lancer*
9th Aug 2002, 15:24
3 Holer,

Just becuase the aircraft is parked from the LHS doesn't necessarily mean the airstairs/aerobridge has to be that side... The trend would have started before aircraft were parked at gates anyway wouldn't it??

To continue the logic... why are heli PICs in the RHS?

Lancer

Mago
9th Aug 2002, 16:14
I recall reading somewhere that the standardization of designing the aircraft in order to board the pax on the left side and everything else on the right started because it was easy to park the aircraft on the ramp, on the old kind of airports, with the left side to the ramp, because you had a better look of the fence so all the aircraft manufacturers started to built them like that.

Regarding why the helicopters, or at least some of them, I heard once an interview made to Igor Sikorsky he said that as he was the first helicopter pilot, he sat on the LHS and then he trained somebody that seated on the RHS, then this person trained several instructor for the armed forces and all of the were seated on the LHS, and those instructors that were used to flight and instruct on the LHS, had all of theirs students seated on the RHS, so they get accustomed to be seated there.

Got it?

Like always, everything about helicopters is confusing starting with the way they flight!
:p