PDA

View Full Version : 90 day currency

memories of px
21st Sep 2019, 08:23
must the three landings be P1, or can they be three landings with an instructor? before carrying passengers again

Permanent Standby
21st Sep 2019, 08:32
must the three landings be P1, or can they be three landings with an instructor? before carrying passengers again

90 day rule. In order to carry passengers, you must have completed within the previous 90 days, three take-offs and landings as sole manipulator of the controls in the same type or class to be used on the flight. If carrying passengers at night, one of those takeoffs and landings must also have been at night, unless you hold an instrument rating.

If flying on a UK PPL or NPPL, you may fly with one other person who is also a pilot qualified on class or type, without having met the requirements of the 90 day rule. They must be informed of the fact that you are not current to carry passengers and you must also make it clear you are the pilot in command. This is known in the ANO as the ‘recent experience exception'.

Can be with an instructor or solo, although it depends if you fly with a club as they may have more stringent rules.

hope that helps
PS

memories of px
21st Sep 2019, 17:28
so the easa ppl needs 3 solo landings after being checked out by an instructor, before taking passengers, he might as well have done a proficiency check with an examiner then he wouldnt need to do the 3 solo landings afterwards. thank you permanent standby for your post.

Mustapha Cuppa
21st Sep 2019, 17:35
Where is it stated you have to be solo when carrying out 3 landings?

Whopity
21st Sep 2019, 17:38
he might as well have done a proficiency check with an examiner then he wouldnt need to do the 3 solo landings afterwards. Every 90 days?
All that is required is 3 landings and take offs as the sole manipilator.

Permanent Standby
21st Sep 2019, 17:58
so the easa ppl needs 3 solo landings after being checked out by an instructor, before taking passengers, he might as well have done a proficiency check with an examiner then he wouldnt need to do the 3 solo landings afterwards. thank you permanent standby for your post.

No probs memories of px, but just to clarify you have to be ‘pilot flying’ for 3 T/O and LDGs. You could do it solo before taking your passengers (as long as your rating is valid), OR with an instructor if you so desire as dual. There is no solo requirement, it’s just A way of complying with the requirement in order to take passengers, that’s all 3 in 90 is.

Note that this is different to the expiry (and need for prof check) of your rating. Hope that makes sense?

For the purists, 3 in 90 is technically for the rating not the licence itself. I.e you have to do it for each class, SEP & MEP or type. Your licence would still be valid if you hadn’t done it. (Assuming non expiring EASA version)

memories of px
21st Sep 2019, 20:00
very enlightening, many thanks to all for the clarification.

Level Attitude
22nd Sep 2019, 12:56
FCL.060 Recent experience
(b) Aeroplanes, helicopters, powered-lift, airships and sailplanes. A pilot shall not operate an aircraft in commercial air transport or carrying passengers:
- (1) as PIC or co-pilot unless he/she has carried out, in the preceding 90 days, at least 3 take-offs, approaches and landings in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS representing that type or class.

Just to "Put the cat amongst the pigeons" :rolleyes: :

EASA do not define what they mean by "carried out" (no mention of "Pilot Flying" and certainly not a whisper of "as sole manipulator of the controls") therefore this terminology is open to interpretation.

A pilot monitoring an Autopilot approach, all the way down to Autoland - Have they not carried out their required function for this phase of flight - and hence "carried out" an approach and landing?

Pilots required to monitor other pilots during flight (Instructor with Student, Pilot Monitoring in multicrew operations) - During Approaches and Landing, are they not carrying out their required function - and hence "carrying out" an Approach and Landing?

Isn't anyone who insists Recency only counts if the pilot was physically handling the aircraft guilty of using their own individual interpretation and thereby 'Gold Plating' the Regulations?

It may be that FCL.060 Recent experience was not originally written in English and some specificity was lost in translation.
My main point being that EASA continuously prove themselves incapable of writing unambiguous, easily understood rules and spend years thinking about re-drafts while expecting the aviation community to manage in the interim.

TheOddOne
22nd Sep 2019, 16:18
My main point being that EASA continuously prove themselves incapable of writing unambiguous, easily understood rules and spend years thinking about re-drafts while expecting the aviation community to manage in the interim.

Sadly seems to be the case. As an instructor, yes, I can go for a period without doing a landing as 'sole manipulator'. Fortunately, as an ab initio SEP instructor, I get plenty of opportunity within any given 90 days to demonstrate 3 landings. I feel for the MEP/IR instructor who in a similar thread here a while ago said they really struggle to comply and sometimes have to blag a landing or 3 from a student.

TOO

Whopity
22nd Sep 2019, 18:06
There is another piece of regulation where the wording has changed and become more vague. I was trying to find out where "sole manipulator" has gone and it looks as though it may have vanished with the JAA.

Kemble Pitts
22nd Sep 2019, 18:22
' ... soul manipulator'

Are priests involved nowadays?

Whopity
23rd Sep 2019, 07:54
Are priests involved nowadays? Big fingers and predictive text, the work of the Lord or EASA,

BEagle
23rd Sep 2019, 12:32
'Carrying out a take-off and landing' in a single pilot aeroplane would surely meet the 'Clapham omnibus' test of meaning - flying the aeroplane oneself.

Any other interpretation is just absurd and the sort of thing in which time-wasting barrack-room lawyers revel....

VP-F__
26th Sep 2019, 09:47
FCL.060 Recent experience
(b) Aeroplanes, helicopters, powered-lift, airships and sailplanes. A pilot shall not operate an aircraft in commercial air transport or carrying passengers:
- (1) as PIC or co-pilot unless he/she has carried out, in the preceding 90 days, at least 3 take-offs, approaches and landings in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS representing that type or class.

Maybe it does not say ‘sole manipulator’ due to the fact that some multi pilot types require both pilots on the controls, the handling pilot does the flying bit whilst the non handler does the engines. Stretching the OP a little I know but maybe this is the reason for the regulation being a little grey.

BigEndBob
26th Sep 2019, 16:07
The 12 hour bit always seemed a waste of time, all pilots need is say a 60 day rule, just to stay current and then say every 2 years one flight with a instructor. Someone can do say 50 hours in the first 12 months and just miss out on the 12 second year.
I would have gone for say a total of 1 hour every 60 days to stay current. And that's all, If out then under the supervision of a instructor to gain the missing hour.

We all knew years ago the 5 hours in 13 months was insufficient, but 6 hours, 1 every two months would have been better.
I often tell my customers better to come down and do a couple of circuits every few weeks to stay current. It's what i did in the 80's when cash was short.

gipsymagpie
30th Sep 2019, 05:41
It does say "sole manipulator" in the ANO. I cannot see any reference to this particular rule being a non-EASA only rule so I think it does apply.

Whopity
30th Sep 2019, 07:33
I cannot see any reference to this particular rule being a non-EASA only rule so I think it does apply. The UK ANO is a book of Non EASA rules and is always superceeded by EASA Regulation. It applies to UK Registered Non EASA Aircraft only i.e. Annex 1

gipsymagpie
30th Sep 2019, 13:24
The UK ANO is a book of Non EASA rules and is always superceeded by EASA Regulation. It applies to UK Registered Non EASA Aircraft only i.e. Annex 1
You are wrong there. It applies to any UK registered aircraft. A lot of is then referenced out to EASA but it very much does apply in the first instance. For example there is a section called "Requirement for appropriate licence to act as member of flight crew of EASA aircraft registered in the United Kingdom".

Level Attitude
30th Sep 2019, 15:25
gipsymagpie I cannot see "sole manipulator" in the ANO but that is, in any case, not relevant.

The ANO passes the buck to EASA (see below my italics), so one does need to know, and follow, what the EASA rules are.

Requirement for appropriate licence to act as member of flight crew of EASA aircraft
registered in the United Kingdom
136.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), a person must not act as a pilot of an EASA aircraft that is
registered in the United Kingdom—
(a) without holding an appropriate licence granted, converted or rendered valid under the
EASA Aircrew Regulation;
For a Licence to be valid for CAT, or Passenger carrying, EASA only require that the 3 x T/Offs, Approaches and Landings in the previous 90 Days are "Carried Out" in the relevant Type, or Class, of aircraft.

Whopity
30th Sep 2019, 16:28
Gipsymagpie
The reference you quote is in Schedule 8 and subject to article 152
152.—(1) Subject to article 172, the CAA or a person approved by the CAA for that purpose
must grant licences of any of the classes specified in Part 1 of Schedule 8, authorising the holder
to act as a member of the flight crew of a non-EASA aircraft registered in the United Kingdom, if
it is satisfied that the applicant is—
All the licences listed in Schedule 8 are National licences not EASA licences and Chapter 1 only aplies to the licences listed in Chapter 2
(a) as pilot in command or co-pilot unless the holder has carried out, in the preceding 90
days, at least three take-offs, approaches and landings as the sole manipulator of the
controls of an aircraft of the same type or class or a full flight simulator representing that
type or class;
The ANO was rewritten to remove any conflictions with the aircrew regulation which covers EASA licences.