PDA

View Full Version : Flight school Queenstown NZ?

cooperplace
21st Sep 2019, 04:36
Does anyone know of one? I'm passing thru there soon and wouldn't mind going for a flight.

My web searches lead me to phone numbers that don't work.
Thanks

On Track
21st Sep 2019, 05:05
Private message sent to you.

Konev
22nd Sep 2019, 06:59
Head over to Wanaka.

NZFlyingKiwi
22nd Sep 2019, 20:16
Not much going on in Queenstown outside of the scenic operators unfortunately, but as Konev says Wanaka is a good bet, or Alexandra.

mickjoebill
23rd Sep 2019, 03:35
Wanaka unless you want a heli experience.

On Track
23rd Sep 2019, 05:13
Actually there is still a Queenstown option, at least in the short term, as I've explained in the private message. But the eviction of the Wakatipu Aero Club from NZQN did a massive amount of damage to the flight training industry in the region. Yes, there are also options at Wanaka and Kingston.

cooperplace
23rd Sep 2019, 10:43
Hi everyone,
thanks for the advice. I'll follow up with the info in the PM. I'm only keen on the Queenstown option. I've flown in and out as pax many times and I'd like to try it as pilot.

cooperplace
29th Sep 2019, 10:58
There was a lead but nothing has come of it. If anyone else knows how I can pay for a plane + instructor at ZQN, please advise. Thanks.

On Track
29th Sep 2019, 23:14
Sorry that my suggestion didn't come to anything.

My only other suggestion is to contact one of the schools at Wanaka, I'd recommend departing Wanaka for a touch and go at Queenstown followed by a trek over the mountains to Milford for a full stop and rest break, then return to Wanaka. It will cost a bit but it will be the flight of a lifetime if you've never flown in an alpine environment.

cooperplace
1st Oct 2019, 06:37
Hi On Track,

Your original suggestion has come good. I'll fly from ZQN.

Many thanks.

On Track
1st Oct 2019, 07:38
Hi cooperplace, I'm pleased to hear that. Queenstown is tricky because no flight training organisations are based there any more. However, with a bit of inside knowledge, it is sometimes possible to make things happen.

cooperplace
1st Oct 2019, 15:55
Is that the only reason ZQN is tricky?

On Track
2nd Oct 2019, 00:59
Runway 14/32 can be intimidating because of the surrounding terrain. It's not possible to fly a normal circuit. Also the runway itself is very narrow and that can upset your height perception. Runway 05/23 gives you much more room to manoeuvre.

Otherwise wind shear is the main cause for concern at Queenstown, so it's best to choose a calm day.

Don't worry, you'll be in good hands. Enjoy the spectacle!

cooperplace
2nd Oct 2019, 13:11
Hi OT,
thanks, that confirms my thoughts. I'm looking forward to it. Also it will be a C172, which I've never flown, but I'm familiar with the 152. I'm told it's similar.

EatMyShorts!
2nd Oct 2019, 16:00
Queenstown is fun and with a SEP you have enough time for decision making and turning.

cooperplace
5th Oct 2019, 02:06
Queenstown is fun and with a SEP you have enough time for decision making and turning.

I hope so!