PDA

View Full Version : L1011 in Eldoret

Obsolete Observer
8th Aug 2002, 08:13
Saw the above in Eldoret a couple of days ago. Ex Cally a/c with the tail scrubbed. Had a walk around the outside and it bdidn't look in bad nick superficially. Reg was 3C Q-- any ideas? (It couldn't be that Robertson has finally got SOMETHING off the ground....could it?)

BRISTOLRE
8th Aug 2002, 08:59
These are ex-Caledonian L1011s operated by Ducor World Airlines / former Liberian World LWA. I think the reg is something like 3C-QRL EQUITORIAL GUNIEA. The other one they have is 3C-QQX an ex LTU machine. They are actually freighters but are bulk loaders, cargo doors not yet fitted!

:D :)

Nice to hear this one still bears resemblance of Cally colours.

CR2
8th Aug 2002, 19:43
Can anyone tell me what Eldoret is like (handling/facilities-wise). May be on the horizon for us.

Obsolete Observer
9th Aug 2002, 07:37
CR2, as I recall you are a Cargolux dog,so no need to tellyou about the high terrain etc. The runways OK,although 0.5km shorter than the Jeppesen plate states.... When they say the airfield closes at 1800Z they mean just that, at 1800 the tower lights go out together with all the airfield lights and its goodnight. This literally happened tous last week. The aids all seem to work as advertised, and the taxyway markings, lighting etc are of a much better standard than elsewhere in Africa. If you need anything specific send me an e. (For those not used to the high terrain in Africa, its quite a salutary experience sitting in a commuter plane which has 18,000 in the alt select window, and noticing that the radalt is at a steady 1,000'......)

Smoketrails
12th Aug 2002, 12:34
3C-QRL arrived back at "base"(MST) yesterday, QRQ hasn't moved since arrival 3 months ago!