PDA

View Full Version : Route notification for Instrument Rating Test

Ang737
8th Aug 2002, 04:45
Hi All

I am about to do my multi engine instrument rating test soon (finally) and was suprised to find out that the route for the test will be given to me a day prior to the test. Outstanding I thought I can go home and plan it properly and even fly it on the Sim at home.

What I then thought was gee why didnt they do that for CPL. Before those of you say that the CPL flight test is supposed to resemble a charter flight, I have thought of that one. The fact is if I had a charter flight like the CPL test flight was and only hour to plan it, I would consider it dangerous and rushed.

What is everyone thoughts on getting the CPL route a day prior to the test....

Ang737

foghorn
8th Aug 2002, 08:39
Wish they did that in the UK - you get an hour to plan...

best of luck with the test

Tinstaafl
8th Aug 2002, 09:46
... if I had a charter flight like the CPL test flight was and only hour to plan it, I would consider it dangerous and rushed.

Welcome to the real world. Charter flights are often planned with little time available. You might think it dangerous but to those of us who do it it's - probably - just a normal day at the office. :)

FormationFlyer
8th Aug 2002, 11:40
The notification of route is normally at the discretion of the examiner - you may well only get 1 hr to plan - a lot of times its done the day before so you can arrange for instrument slots which are a ****** to come by on the day itself after 8-9am...

And anyway...you proved you can do it already for the cpl! :D

1hour is plenty of time for planning - if you cant plan in 1 hour then I suggest you need more practice...certainly an IF route (simple) up to about 2-3hours can easily be done in 1 hour.

Hope it goes well for you though - good luck!

Let us know how you do!

FormationFlyer
8th Aug 2002, 11:45
Oh and a word of warning....

Although you have flown it on the sim and think its gonna be no problem - dont let your guard down.

For instance...what if you have 14nm to run to controlled airspace from the take-off....you dont get airways clearance on take-off - small delay expected - and you are now merrily heading for the airways at 140kts......you flight sim wont simulate this....and yes that is a real example of what exactly happened to someone I knew on their IR ME SPA test - If I remember rightly the poor chappie unfortunately they didnt have a plan of action and plumbed into the airway....we never had a problem in training...we always got the clearance! So dont let familiarity get the better of you...

Good Luck!