PDA

View Full Version : QC25 + uflymike

pipertommy
10th Sep 2019, 19:56
Hi, just wondering if anyone else encounters comparability issues using this setup ? And has a answer as to why ?
I am extremely impressed with the comfort and noise cancelling.
But I have encountered a problem. When transmitting in one of our aircraft I sound like I'm talking down a pipe, like an echo ? And this is only when I got onto the approach frequency?
No problems in the other aircraft, guessing it's an intercom problem?
Thanks.

double_barrel
11th Sep 2019, 03:58
If it only happens on one frequency in one a/c, it can't be a problem with the headset. Maybe a 2nd radio tuned to that frequency and audio from both piped to the headphones?

(Although it would require pretty impressive rejection by the 2nd (non transmitting) radio for it to only happen on the frequency it was tuned to. When both radios/antennas are so close I would expect a lot of noise to come through even off frequency. So I might expect the echo to happen on all frequencies, but much more obviously when radio 2 is tuned to the same freq that radio 1 is transmitting on)

Whopity
11th Sep 2019, 11:43
Check the battery, as it runs down you can get some strange effects.

pipertommy
11th Sep 2019, 12:24
Check the battery, as it runs down you can get some strange effects.
Thanks, will do

double_barrel
11th Sep 2019, 12:34
And then try switching the audio source to the active radio rather than both ;-)

pipertommy
11th Sep 2019, 14:46
Which switch is that ? Sorry

double_barrel
11th Sep 2019, 16:55
Which switch is that ? Sorry

I only know about the C172's that I fly, but I assume that there are similar arrangements on other GA aircraft...

There are at least 4 sources of sound - 2 VHF comms radio, a VOR and an ADF. You can select which of these delivers audio output to the headset with a group of selector switches. At one time I thought I would be clever and set-up a dual watch by tuning radio 2 to 121.5 while using radio 1 as my main comms and selecting 'both' as audio sources. As soon as I transmitted anything I realized that this was dumb because I heard my own distorted voice sounding distant and echoey coming back at me when I transmitted on radio 1. Obviously radio 2 was picking-up my transmissions from radio 1. I fixed this by selecting just radio 1. That sounds a lot like the symptoms you are experiencing and it could be the same cause.