PDA

View Full Version : West Atlantic

Qwerty1234
10th Sep 2019, 09:35
Can anybody give me an idea on the salary including extra's like flight pay of a Captain on the B737. Thank you.

TFE731
10th Sep 2019, 20:50
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1408/img_1108_ded83dfdd10214f36bf7ce8f0e6e041af988d115.jpg
Here are the basic details.

TFE731
10th Sep 2019, 20:53
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1460x2000/img_1109_0999b28f5d2838529a02069274ee0b4be34d28b9.jpg
An example of monthly gross pay with two day off payments. As most of the trips cross midnight day off payments usually come in pairs.

Qwerty1234
11th Sep 2019, 05:37
Thank you TFE731, that is very helpful.

SaulGoodman
11th Sep 2019, 20:42
What is the point of including day off payments. Just to make the salary looks better or are you expected to accept working on your off days?

WOWO is pretty good roster. But not sunday to saturday. In this case you never have a full weekend off.

TFE731
12th Sep 2019, 08:05
What is the point of including day off payments. Just to make the salary looks better or are you expected to accept working on your off days?

WOWO is pretty good roster. But not sunday to saturday. In this case you never have a full weekend off.

You are never expected to work any extra days but most people do. For me, if an extra Stanstead-Edinburgh-Stanstead is on offer I can leave my house at 20:00, be back home by 03:00 and be £900 (less tax) richer.

The weekend situation is much better than it looks. A lot of the duties don't start until early Monday morning while others finish late on Friday. Also if you volunteer to do a slip-shift you work Thursday to Wednesday.

When you take 7 days of leave you don't fly for 21 days. Week off, week leave, week off and you can do that three times in a year. Also being cargo not passenger leave during school summer holidays is not usually a problem.

Trossie
12th Sep 2019, 12:55

If you are an airline pilot, what is a 'weekend'??!! Many pilots that I know never have weekends off, especially during busy periods. The last two posters give the idea that the actual weekend situation is really quite good.

Mr Angry from Purley
12th Sep 2019, 15:48
£4800 after tax is about the average monthly salary for a Captain. Weeks on are often not a full 7 days so weekends off are more common if that’s your thing. Lots of time off and often options to sell days off so if you prefer money over time then that’s a winner too.

For me having the ability to plan my life more than one month ahead for the first time in my career trumps earning more money elsewhere. Also the way the leave works means that I effectively have 12 weeks leave per year plus week on off, with that in mind the salary begins to look not too bad at all.
That equates to 203 days off / leave a year?. And I suspect most Saturdays are "rest" days. Sounds like PT almost

Trossie
13th Sep 2019, 09:42
Thanks for the response.
One or two weekends at home per month is almost a necessity if you have a family so therefore my question. ...
So you are not an airline pilot then? Most airline pilots do not know what a weekend is. (Other than that those are the days that they are most likely to be rostered to fly!)

Vikingfly
7th Oct 2019, 10:55
Has anyone been hired by them recently?

Banana Joe
7th Oct 2019, 17:01
Yes they have and they still need pilots. There is an OCC taking place these days and there will be more. Same thing for ASL Ireland.

limahotel
11th Oct 2019, 16:45
Hi,

does anyone have a rough guestimate how long it takes to get command in West Atlantic, if you join as a B737 F/O with previous command experience on CRJ?

Thanks in advance.

TFE731
12th Oct 2019, 09:28
Hi,

does anyone have a rough guestimate how long it takes to get command in West Atlantic, if you join as a B737 F/O with previous command experience on CRJ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Limahotel,

Very hard to guestimate because it varies based on company expansion, prior experience, & performance. I joined as an FO with about 8000hr total and 5000hr in command of other jets. It took me 7 months from final line check as FO to final line check as Capt. However, I was lucky and the company was rapidly expanding at the time. At the moment I would guess the minimum is about a year.

Hope this helps.

beerisgood
17th Oct 2019, 13:16
Is there any chance of DECs on the 73 at EMA?

TFE731
18th Oct 2019, 15:34
Is there any chance of DECs on the 73 at EMA?

Slim to none at the moment. The company is concentrating on FO upgrades to fill their Capt requirements, and at current demand that is sufficient. However this is aviation and by next week it all might have changed...

pilot freak
19th Oct 2019, 16:59
I heard new assessments coming up. Anyone got an invitation for a FO 737 position?

TFE731
20th Oct 2019, 10:27
Does anyone attended their assessment lately? Very little information around the line of questioning they follow and the sim.

The 737 fleet of West Atlantic has its roots going back to Atlantic Airlines. Atlantic Airlines operated the Lockheed Electra and other old aircraft, and in many ways the spirit of Atlantic Airlines lives on. With that in mind I would expect any sim assessment to feature a considerable amount of raw data hand flying.
West Atlantic trips are six or seven days long and crew pairings normally stay the same for the whole week, so the interview is likely to focus on personality as well as the standard questions.

alfaaloop
26th Oct 2019, 09:23
Would anyone be able to share a FO roster on the ATP based at EMA, either WOWO or 10/28 to give an idea of the schedule/ destinations on the fleet? Feel free to PM if you wish.
Many thanks in advance

BentleyTheDog
29th Oct 2019, 22:16
Has anyone had a response for the NTR FO position that closed a week or so ago?

Raph737
30th Oct 2019, 01:02
Has anyone had a response for the NTR FO position that closed a week or so ago?

Nothing yet, would be good to get a response sooner rather than later as in aviation, one week is fairly long I would say.

pilot freak
30th Oct 2019, 10:29
Same here and still waiting for a response.

BentleyTheDog
27th Nov 2019, 01:03
Another month has passed, anyone heard anything yet?

pilot freak
16th Dec 2019, 11:43
Nothing yet, Anyone else?

SaulGoodman
11th Jan 2020, 22:33
What did happen with the 737F in Marseille?

Ramses II
20th Jan 2020, 10:25
I have had no reaction on the october application whatsoever except for the confirmation mail. Now they have re-opened recruitment again for NTR FO's 737. How strange.

pilot freak
20th Jan 2020, 19:49
I'm in the same boat as you are!

Jaygilly
21st Jan 2020, 21:42
Do you think west Atlantic will start recruiting low hour pilots that have just finished there training. I have noticed the FO job vacancies they have has no hour requirements.

cttime
23rd Jan 2020, 08:25
Do you think west Atlantic will start recruiting low hour pilots that have just finished there training. I have noticed the FO job vacancies they have has no hour requirements.
The only way to know is to apply.

SaulGoodman
23rd Jan 2020, 10:59
They have done it in the past and it is not likely they have a lot of experienced pilots lined up, especially not on turbo prop. If there is a time it is now! Mind you that it will take forever to gain hours at WA...

pilot freak
27th Jan 2020, 12:59
They have done it in the past and it is not likely they have a lot of experienced pilots lined up, especially not on turbo prop. If there is a time it is now! Mind you that it will take forever to gain hours at WA...

What is the average hours a FO fly annually?

Rottweiler22
27th Jan 2020, 19:58
What is the average hours a FO fly annually?

Between 200 and 300 hours per year, I was told. Lots of short sectors, and short nights. Freight isn’t the best way of building hours and experience, I’m afraid.

hard_landing
5th Feb 2020, 18:28
Is EMA the only pilot base? I've seen WA 737s parked during the day at a few regional bases.

Banana Joe
5th Feb 2020, 21:28
Is EMA the only pilot base? I've seen WA 737s parked during the day at a few regional bases.
Day stops. They fly to their base or "focus" airports like Liège in the night.

Fanor
8th Feb 2020, 12:42
Has anyone applied for the NTR FO position and heard anything back?

Thanks

Jaygilly
8th Feb 2020, 12:44
Has anyone applied for the NTR FO position and heard anything back?

Thanks
I applied but haven't heard anything, but the applications haven't closed yet

TFE731
8th Feb 2020, 19:44

EMA is the base for the 737. However, with week-on week-off there is no need to live close to EMA.

Trossie
9th Feb 2020, 16:49
Between 200 and 300 hours per year, I was told. Lots of short sectors, and short nights. Freight isn’t the best way of building hours and experience, I’m afraid.
Define 'experience'?
Lots of short sectors,...seems a good way of building very good experience.

Unless, of course, you are confusing 'hours' with 'experience'?

One could easily argue that a 500 hr regional turbo-prop pilot has a lot more experience than a 500 hr 'bucket and spade flights' A320 pilot.

Banana Joe
9th Feb 2020, 17:14
Lots of ILS to ILS. That's been my experience so far. And weather during the night is also a bit more "friendly" than during the day.

Rottweiler22
10th Feb 2020, 12:17
Define 'experience'?
...seems a good way of building very good experience.

Unless, of course, you are confusing 'hours' with 'experience'?

One could easily argue that a 500 hr regional turbo-prop pilot has a lot more experience than a 500 hr 'bucket and spade flights' A320 pilot.

Not necessarily. This wasn’t the debate I was getting into. I’m sure it’s great experience. Varied airports, quieter and more chilled ATC, plenty of chances to get the autopilot off and have a go. Not to mention a 737 rating, WOWO roster, and the ability to commute to EMA once a week.

But, it can be a slow way to get experience. Short sectors followed by long waits, some 2 sector days and done (I’m not complaining about that!). Granted, there are longer tours, and some are better than others. Then it’s a whole week off. As a new pilot, it could take you the best part of 5 years to unfreeze your ATPL. Quite slow burning for a new pilot who would fly 7 days a week if they could (I know I would have).

Possibly. The regional prop pilot will have probably done more sectors, turnarounds, take-offs, landings, and seen more dodgy weather up in the Scottish Islands than an Airbus pilot. So quality stick time, yes. Got the t-shirt for that one. Personally, I’d rather point my Airbus in the right direction for 3 hours, than do a 6 sector Sumburgh, but that’s for another day.

SaulGoodman
10th Feb 2020, 16:01
Unless West Atlantic is your end goal, 250 hours is not good for a low timer. I have been in night freight and it could take 10 years to get 2500 hours to be able to get a left seat or be interesting for another “better” airline. Sure, WOWO is great. But this job is more interesting for a DEC that is after lifestyle then it is for a 200hr CPL guy. In aviation anything can happen and believe me when I say it is better to be made redundant with 2000 hours A320/737NG then with 500 hours 737CL or ATP.
Positive though is the roster and the operation is dead simple. No stress whatsoever. I am not 100% sure but I believe the money is better with EAT/DHK/ASL and Star Air.

hard_landing
16th Feb 2020, 06:40
6 sector Sumburgh.....brings back memories.

Mrpeewee
24th Feb 2020, 16:23
Anyone here got any news or reply for the recent position that’s been closed?

PeeWee

Ramses II
24th Feb 2020, 17:19
Anyone here got any news or reply for the recent position that’s been closed?

PeeWee

I have applied twice since october for the NTR 737 position and heard absolutely nothing.

Mrpeewee
26th Feb 2020, 09:08
I have applied twice since october for the NTR 737 position and heard absolutely nothing.

How long does it usually take to get a reply?

does anyone know?

Ramses II
26th Feb 2020, 09:11
How long does it usually take to get a reply?

does anyone know?
Well, anywhere from two weeks to two months really unfortunately... Which is a disgrace in my opinion. And it is also possible to not get a reply at all, as is the case here.

Trossie
3rd Mar 2020, 07:59
Lots of ILS to ILS. That's been my experience so far. And weather during the night is also a bit more "friendly" than during the day.
Sounds idyllic!! I bet that next you'll be saying there are no slot delays, holding, etc.?

Banana Joe
3rd Mar 2020, 08:12
Sounds idyllic!! I bet that next you'll be saying there are no slot delays, holding, etc.?
I've been on the line for 1,5 year now and I think I actually entered a hold only once waiting for visibility to improve and eventually we diverted.
Yes, we do get some slots but never have they been that far off the departure time and most of the time they do get quick improvements. And should I mention all the directs we always get during the night? :}

Honestly, compared to the low fares carrier typical day, this is easy and relaxed once you get used to night flying.

TFE731
3rd Mar 2020, 09:29
I've been on the line for 1,5 year now and I think I actually entered a hold only once waiting for visibility to improve and eventually we diverted.
Yes, we do get some slots but never have they been that far off the departure time and most of the time they do get quick improvements. And should I mention all the directs we always get during the night? :}

Honestly, compared to the low fares carrier typical day, this is easy and relaxed once you get used to night flying.

Similar time with the company. One hold (Leipzig, Friday congestion), one diversion (different flight), a handful of slots, and zero unruly passengers!

SaulGoodman
3rd Mar 2020, 11:17
Night Freight is the easiest type of ops you can find. That is, if you can adjust to nights. And if your company values your health and gives you a decent plannable (commutable) block roster. The bigger the aircraft the easier in general. Because the smaller stuff (ATR / ATP but also 737) are often the “feeders” so they start earlier and finish later (in general that is)

BentleyTheDog
20th Mar 2020, 00:13
Did anyone get an email asking if you wanted your application to be renewed? It has a link which just takes you to the company recruitment page, but the job I applied for is not listed?!

I applied for NTR FO in October I think and this is the first I have heard from them.

Trossie
22nd Mar 2020, 14:37
i've been on the line for 1,5 year now and i think i actually entered a hold only once waiting for visibility to improve and eventually we diverted.
Yes, we do get some slots but never have they been that far off the departure time and most of the time they do get quick improvements. And should i mention all the directs we always get during the night? :}

honestly, compared to the low fares carrier typical day, this is easy and relaxed once you get used to night flying.
similar time with the company. One hold (leipzig, friday congestion), one diversion (different flight), a handful of slots, and zero unruly passengers!
night freight is the easiest type of ops you can find. That is, if you can adjust to nights. And if your company values your health and gives you a decent plannable (commutable) block roster. The bigger the aircraft the easier in general. Because the smaller stuff (atr / atp but also 737) are often the “feeders” so they start earlier and finish later (in general that is)

Sounds even more idyllic. Next, you are all going to say that you are all still happily in secure jobs?

​​​​​​​

deltahotel
22nd Mar 2020, 14:59
As secure as anywhere else - freight is still moving.

TFE731
23rd Mar 2020, 17:08
Sounds even more idyllic. Next, you are all going to say that you are all still happily in secure jobs?

Far more secure than most at the moment. Positioning crews around the network is currently proving challenging, as is get anything better than a cheese and ham roll for food at the end of a hard duty. There seems to be far more load than available airframes at the moment so keeping busy isn’t the slightest problem.

Pilotman14
10th Nov 2022, 11:40
Can anybody share what the assessment process is like for West Atlantic (NTR FO Low hour). They have started recruiting and I would like to prepare ahead if I can

Uplinker
10th Nov 2022, 12:13
Don't know about now, but some years ago for me, (with many years airline experience), it was a formal interview and a SIM ride. It was all very down to earth - if you were a normal, and nice person with your feet on the ground, and could competently hand fly and trim a 737 Classic, you would likely receive an offer. There was very little bull**** in WA and a good head office team.

Not to put anyone off, but freight Ops with WA was very much up to the two pilots - there is minimal support on the ground - (but a good Ops team on the phone). You need to be pro-active and basically organise most of the elements of the shift yourselves, including taxis to hotels etc. If you are coming from a passenger airline and are used to having a cabin crew, food, creature comforts and ground agents, it is a bit bare and basic, but you can learn your skill, and get into the LHS.

Leipzig airport freight operations* at night is an eye opener - a really big and professional operation.

*A DHL facility, but WA fly freight there.

Pilotman14
10th Nov 2022, 12:20
Don't know about now, but some years ago for me, (with many years airline experience), it was a formal interview and a SIM ride. It was all very down to earth - if you were a normal, and nice person with your feet on the ground, and could competently hand fly and trim a 737 Classic, you would likely receive an offer. There was very little bull**** in WA and a good head office team.

Not to put anyone off, but freight Ops with WA was very much up to the two pilots - there is minimal support on the ground - (but a good Ops team on the phone). You need to be pro-active and basically organise most of the elements of the shift yourselves, including taxis to hotels etc. If you are coming from a passenger airline and are used to having a cabin crew, food, creature comforts and ground agents, it is a bit bare and basic, but you can learn your skill, and get into the LHS.
Thanks for that information, much appreciated :)
I am a low hour so this would be my first flying job. But I fit the requirements set out for the FO NTR position, so am hoping something positive comes soon