PDA

View Full Version : UK to San Sebastián - enroute stop off recommendation

marioair
7th Sep 2019, 10:54
Looking for an airfield halfway enroute from London to San Sebastián for a comfort break and lunch - ie something with a decent on site place to eat. Any recommendations?

needs to have immigration and not La Rochelle as been loads already!*

ea200
7th Sep 2019, 11:51
You might consider Limoges. A while since I've been there but it used to have a good restaurant.

flyingman-of-kent
10th Sep 2019, 13:35
Depending on the speed of your aircraft you may need to make more than one stop. Of course it also depends on what route you are taking too.

Decent places to stop along the way include Jersey, Deauville, Rennes, Nantes, Bergerac, Biaritz - of course depending on whether you want to just have a cup of coffee or go into town and stay the night!

Limoges may be about half way distance wise, but there isn't much around there really. If you can wait till Bergerac its a short cab ride into town (along the Loire), lovely restaurants and a nice town square.

Let us know where you end up!

Jan Olieslagers
10th Sep 2019, 13:50
I don't think everybody will agree to classifying Biarritz (sic!) as "decent" - I've never been there but read some awful reports of people/planes being extremely rigourously checked. Apparently the field hosts a training facility for some kind of security service and they make practice runs every now and then.

Apart from that, isn't Biarritz very near to the final destination of San Sebastian?

marioair
10th Sep 2019, 18:57
I don't think everybody will agree to classifying Biarritz (sic!) as "decent" - I've never been there but read some awful reports of people/planes being extremely rigourously checked. Apparently the field hosts a training facility for some kind of security service and they make practice runs every now and then.

Apart from that, isn't Biarritz very near to the final destination of San Sebastian?

:) biarritz would indeed be very pointless!

I only need one stop, and happy to eat at the airport so long as it’s not a vending machine! In terms of route - draw a straight line from Rochester to San Seb.

So far La Rochelle is logical but I’ve been lots. Limoges could be good, though off track a bit and I can’t figure Out if there’s an eatery on site

Piper.Classique
10th Sep 2019, 19:39
There is a restaurant at Limoges. Personally I wasn't all that impressed by it. If you are good with a shortish runway St Junien (flying club airfield near Limoges) is walking distance to a much better restaurant. Or you might like Châteauroux Déols. If you call in at Chauvigny (again, shortish runway) There are several good places to eat in walking distance or I might even give you a lift.
oops, sorry, just seen you need immigration.*

Azaiba
11th Sep 2019, 07:45
We went through Poitiers last month and it worked well. Easy to get fuel with a credit card and a good restaurant with a fixed price lunch buffet. Remember to take your licence, or passport for passengers, to get in to the terminal.

Duchess_Driver
11th Sep 2019, 07:49
Bergerac has an on-site eatery. Cheap landing fees and fuel. Immigration available for the commercial stuff.

Baldegret
12th Sep 2019, 08:14
We overnighted at Rouen in July. Lovely city, plenty of places to eat, very helpful team at the airport..

MCR01
12th Sep 2019, 15:33
Bergerac does have a rather indifferent cafe; a shame to fly to France and choose to eat there. If you have to go to Bergerac try the L'Imparfait in the old town centre; booking advised, it can be busy; it is truly excellent but will cost you a fortune in taxi fares to and from.
It's way off the direct route but Auch has a very good restaurant on the airfield.

overandout
25th Sep 2019, 08:54
Restaurant at Poitiers in the terminal building is now closed.
Excellent new restaurant just opened . Walk 2 minutes across the car park to some new buildings Really good worth the stop

S-Works
25th Sep 2019, 09:26
La Rochelle and go over and stay in il De re. Awesome.

Jan Olieslagers
25th Sep 2019, 17:35
il De re
Probably meaning "Isle de Ré".
Twighlight zone can do queer things to the human intelligence.

S-Works
26th Sep 2019, 07:23
Probably meaning "Isle de Ré".
Twighlight zone can do queer things to the human intelligence.

actually I meant Ile De Re.....if you are going to be a smart arse and correct people you should really get it right.....*

patowalker
26th Sep 2019, 15:07
Jan a smartarse? No, he is genuinely convinced we are all stupid on this side of the Channel, as he reminded us a few days ago. :O

I think we already had a thread on this matter, recently?
However that may be, it is only one further step in a long march of stupidity.
The UK seems really set on showing stupidity, and behaving accordingly, wherever possible.

Jan Olieslagers
26th Sep 2019, 16:56
ALL is too much to say, dear Donald - please do not put words in my mouth/pen/keyboard that I didn't utter. But please understand me, looking on from across a water not so very wide, your nation as a whole is cutting a queer figure, these days, to say the least. As I follow things from afar, not without some degree of fascination, even some locals are beginning to wonder.

And may I state that, as a whole, the Brits have recently not excelled in their care for language and the spelling thereof? Yourself broader minded - having lived abroad is a great experience! - and thus an admirable exception.