PDA

View Full Version : CRI or FI(LAPL Only) or CPL scholarships

marioair
7th Sep 2019, 10:52
Do such things exist?

I’ve seen FI scholarships but they require CPL TK as a pre-req.I have contacted one charity (Air Pilots) stating I’m happy doing LAPL and don’t need CPL TK but they won’t accept this.

Another pipe dream is a sabbatical and doing something like bush flying for a charity. However assume these all want a CPL?? I’m not looking for a paid career in flying or hour building, so again, are they’re any routes to get this?

rudestuff
7th Sep 2019, 20:05
So what exactly DO you want? It sounds like you want other people to pay for you to go flying but you don't want to pay for it - and you don't want to do very much studying?

Genghis the Engineer
7th Sep 2019, 21:07
So go do CPL TK. It is demanding, but cheap and a pretty honest test of whether you are dedicated enough to be worth investing in.

G

marioair
7th Sep 2019, 22:33
So what exactly DO you want? It sounds like you want other people to pay for you to go flying but you don't want to pay for it - and you don't want to do very much studying?

i want to volunteer my time either teaching or doing some good, and yes get to fly in return.

I’m not adverse to doing more studying but I’ve just finished my IR which wiped out both time and money. I’m not looking to profit so the time and money invested in doing a CPL doesn’t weigh up for what I’d be using it for. It’s just a shame that the PPL can’t be put to good use!

rudestuff
8th Sep 2019, 09:36
So if you have an IR I'm assuming you took the IR exams rather than the ATPL exams? If that's the case you probably have half of the knowledge fresh in your mind. Why not just take a punt and have a go? You don't need to pass them all within 18 months or 6 sittings - You only need to pass them.

marioair
8th Sep 2019, 09:52
So if you have an IR I'm assuming you took the IR exams rather than the ATPL exams? If that's the case you probably have half of the knowledge fresh in your mind. Why not just take a punt and have a go? You don't need to pass them all within 18 months or 6 sittings - You only need to pass them.

could do, but that leaves me with £1-2k debt and a CPL TK with no guarantee of a scholarship?

Genghis the Engineer
8th Sep 2019, 09:59
I suspect that if you go into it with "I'm only learning things about aviation that are directly useful right now" you have little chance of a scholarship to become an instructor anyhow.

G

marioair
8th Sep 2019, 10:07
I suspect that if you go into it with "I'm only learning things about aviation that are directly useful right now" you have little chance of a scholarship to become an instructor anyhow.

G

ouch :)

ok let me rephrase the problem statement. We have an Instrcutor shortage. There’s people that are happy to volunteer their time but still have jobs, family and lives to manage. The scholarships, and the industry more generally are still set up for people “going career”. My assertion is, make a route for PPLs to contribute back.

MR172
8th Sep 2019, 12:58

ok let me rephrase the problem statement. We have an Instrcutor shortage. There’s people that are happy to volunteer their time but still have jobs, family and lives to manage. The scholarships, and the industry more generally are still set up for people “going career”. My assertion is, make a route for PPLs to contribute back.

When your in a hole stop digging!

Genghis the Engineer
8th Sep 2019, 16:42
I'm obviously doing things wrong as I did all my flying qualifications bar the FAA CPL/IR, and the higher of my two degrees, whilst also having jobs and family on the go at the same time.

G

rudestuff
8th Sep 2019, 17:03

There is: Do an FI course. Have you thought about being a CRI? Probably slightly more useful than a LAPL only FI

marioair
8th Sep 2019, 17:30
There is: Do an FI course. Have you thought about being a CRI? Probably slightly more useful than a LAPL only FI

sigh.

I used to volunteer as a first aider and ambulance driver.

They paid for my training, for my uniform and my equipment. I put in my time and put up with being vomited and bled on because I was helping people.

Yes I could pay out of my own pocket for a CRI or CPL TK or FI course. I have the time and willingness to help. But I can not afford nor justify paying to do something that’s “voluntary”.

yes I’m privileged to fly, and yes I know people going career scrimp and save - was just saying it’s a shame to inhibit the (small) number of us that could help.

rkgpilot
8th Sep 2019, 20:12
But I can not afford nor justify paying to do something that’s “voluntary”.

But a CRI or FI (with or without TK) isn’t restricted to voluntary work. Even if that’s your intention right now, you’d actually be able to get paid for work done. So why not pay for your own course then when you’ve recouped your costs, give your future fees to charity? Or do what the rest of us do and fund yourself then spend your time wondering if you’ll ever recoup the cost......but not really minding either way as the sense of accomplishment and the ability to help others is what it’s really about.

marioair
8th Sep 2019, 20:37
But a CRI or FI (with or without TK) isn’t restricted to voluntary work. Even if that’s your intention right now, you’d actually be able to get paid for work done. So why not pay for your own course then when you’ve recouped your costs, give your future fees to charity? Or do what the rest of us do and fund yourself then spend your time wondering if you’ll ever recoup the cost......but not really minding either way as the sense of accomplishment and the ability to help others is what it’s really about.

the above is possible. But then original post was about scholarships.

rarelyathome
8th Sep 2019, 20:43
the above is possible. But then original post was about scholarships.

Maybe I’m getting this wrong. You want to give back when somebody else has given to you?

marioair
8th Sep 2019, 21:17
Maybe I’m getting this wrong. You want to give back when somebody else has given to you?

no, what I'm saying is i have the time and motivation, but not the money,

Genghis the Engineer
8th Sep 2019, 21:39
The Air Cadets are often looking for leaders and instructors, and some become qualified as gliding or motorglider instructors within the organisation.

The Air Scouts are always looking for leaders, although all flying tends to be at pilots expense.

G

TheOddOne
9th Sep 2019, 06:20
See the 'Where have all the instructors gone' thread over on the Flying Instructors and Examiners forum. The last 2 posts are very telling.

marioair,
I think a couple of the responses to your original post have been slightly harsh. Perhaps if you looked at it from the other end of the telescope, it might help.
A lot of PPL training happens at smaller Clubs run by volunteers and owned by their members. They will never have the resources to fund any training for instructors, hardly having the funds to keep their aircraft airworthy.
At the other end of the scale are large commercial schools. They might well consider funding scholarships if they can see a financial return.
Basically, I think you need to look at all the larger ATOs. Look at their business models and financial situations, then write a compelling business case stating why it is in their interests to fund your further training. You have got to make them see it as an investment with a return at the end.
TOO

rarelyathome
9th Sep 2019, 08:09
Fair. But I think he’s done that and found they want full time Instructors for the investment.

marioair
9th Sep 2019, 12:11
Fair. But I think he’s done that and found they want full time Instructors for the investment.

exactly the case