PDA

View Full Version : Come from away

mickjoebill
3rd Sep 2019, 06:12
An odd post I know...

“Come From Away” is a musical based on the real events on 9/1 when 38 passenger aircraft were diverted to Gander, Newfoundland.

Coming to the end of its run at the Comedy Theatre in Melbourne, tickets can be had for $55 if you enter digital lottery or at the door 30 min before performance.

Perceptive, funny, sad & uplifting with a touch of tragedy that would piece the heart of any pilot.

Like a long haul flight there is no intermission :)

mjb

Ex FSO GRIFFO
3rd Sep 2019, 08:53
"Goosey Goosey Gander.....(From) Where Do You Wander...…"

Seems to fit the 'Bill' on this one.....
Cheeerrrsss,,,..:p

zanthrus
3rd Sep 2019, 09:08
What happened on 9/1? Do you mean 11/9/2001?

thunderbird five
3rd Sep 2019, 21:17
9/1 - Richard Nixon's birthday, Bob Denver (Gilligan), some chick called Candi.

aroa
4th Sep 2019, 02:31
The Gander Aviation Museum, apart from the ubeaut aircraft, has a fascinating display of their 9/11 event , uniforms and artifacts from flight crew around the world that lobbed in there and a melted tower beam memorial.

Egipps
4th Sep 2019, 03:20
All jokes about the date aside. The show is fantastic. I was privileged to meet the 'real Beverley Bass' the following day when she joined a group from the Australian Woman Pilots Association (AWPA) for lunch.

airspace alpha
4th Sep 2019, 04:06
Seen it. I was in tears from around 5 minutes in until well after the ending. FWIW I had my own “Come from away” experience in Canada in Sept 2001 so I could really relate to this. Almost no set dressing, actors playing multiple characters sometimes simultaneously, totally immersing and totally emotional. Go see it, don’t delay, find an excuse. And kiss that cod!

rattly_spats
4th Sep 2019, 06:08
Thanks for those comments, people. I am, at this very minute, sitting on a train heading to Melbourne to see tonight’s performance and really looking forward to it

Egipps
5th Sep 2019, 03:08
Thanks for those comments, people. I am, at this very minute, sitting on a train heading to Melbourne to see tonight’s performance and really looking forward to it

You'll love it! I went with a group from AWPA and we were lucky enough to meet with Beverley Bass the following day. The show is seriously good. I understand there have been standing ovations performance after performance.

rattly_spats
6th Sep 2019, 13:39
We did, indeed, love it. It's moving, interesting and extremely entertaining and has plenty enough aviation content to justify mentioning in this forum.