PDA

View Full Version : AVM H Cadwallader deceased

pzu
1st Sep 2019, 15:49
Apologies if this in wrong area

This gentleman H G Cadwallader (http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Cadwallader_HG.htm) died some time ago and apart from his wife (since died 2014) had no relatives

The person left with his effects is now wondering how to dispose of his papers, memorabilia and medals - any suggestions

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Herod
1st Sep 2019, 17:17
The logical place would be the RAF Museum. Here's a good link to start you off. https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/support-us/donate-an-artefact/donate-an-artefact-faqs.aspx

Good luck. Failing that the Imperial War Museum would be worth a shot.

Old-Duffer
1st Sep 2019, 21:04
Howard G Cadwallader (Double Check) by nickname and can I tell a few stories about him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best place for his papers is Wg Cdr Trevor Stone the historian for the RAF supply and logistics branch.

Cadwallader retired to Spain and died after he was hit by a vehicle. As stated he had no children but after retirement he worked for - I think - BT.

I served under him on several occasions and will try to put together some stories about him.

Old Duffer

pzu
1st Sep 2019, 23:22
Old Duffer

Thanks for reply, any chance of Trevor Stone’s contact details so that I could pass them on

PM acceptable

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Tankertrashnav
2nd Sep 2019, 09:32
This may not be a popular reply, but if it were left to me I would put his medals up for auction, and have the proceeds donated to a suitable charity, such as the RAF Benevolent Fund. The suggestion that his papers, etc, go to the historian mentioned above is a very good one, but both the RAF Museum and the Imperial War Museum are awash with medals, and unless there is something particularly rare among them it is likely they would just disappear into store rather than go on display. Some auctioneers are willing to waive or reduce sellers' commission fees if items are being sold for charity so that would be worth exploring should they go for auction.

Chugalug2
2nd Sep 2019, 10:26
TTN, it's popular with me FWIW. There is a sort of pointless circular exercise in medals being produced and distributed only then to be gathered in and stored in perpetuity. Those who should be celebrated by posterity is of course a matter for discussion, but it clearly can't be everyone.

I have no idea as to the achievements of this AVM but he may well have been in as violent agreement with TTN's suggestion as I.

My executors may auction off my GSM and bar for the good of any charity at their whim.

Signed Chug, being of sound mind and body (just!)

Herod
2nd Sep 2019, 11:11
Following my earlier post, I have to say that OD and TTN have the right idea. Auction the medals and give the documents to the historian.

Old-Duffer
2nd Sep 2019, 15:36
I don't think Cadwallader had anything really significant other than a CB as an AVM. He would have had a number of war medals and possibly a GSM for Malaya/Singapore.

I will search out the name of the historian to whom I referred and PM it.

He got very upset when I drove my sports car into the mess at RAF Hendon one D/I Night and parked it in the Foyer. On another occasion we played 'Christopher Robin' which led to the destruction of two coffee tables in the bar. I was summoned the following morning to explain myself and to receive the inevitable bollocking for destroying the coffee tables (service property) and ordered to pay the cost of them - plus 12 1/2 % departmental expenses of course! When I pointed out that this would be unnecessary, as the tables belonged to me and would he like to see the receipt for their purchase, he went through the roof.

He got his nickname 'Double Check' because he would send for two people (not together) and give them the same task to research. When the first returned with the answer, he would satisfy himself and when the second returned, he would interrogate this chap, asking questions gleaned from the first. If the answers differed significantly or one explanation was more comprehensive than the other, somebody was in for it!!

He retired on this very day in 1974 and worked for - as mentioned above - BT (I think) before retiring to Spain . This year would have been his centenary.

Old Duffer

Tankertrashnav
3rd Sep 2019, 17:39
I don't think Cadwallader had anything really significant other than a CB as an AVM. He would have had a number of war medals and possibly a GSM for Malaya/Singapore.

A CB, GSM for Borneo or Malay Peninsula and his WW2 medals would raise a four figure sum for charity - better than adding to the RAFM's hoard!

Old-Duffer
4th Sep 2019, 05:42
I defer to my friend TTN regarding his 'spot' valuation of Cadwallader's gongs, I had no idea of their potential worth and thought, perhaps, the CB insignia might have been returned to whoever. The morning after the 'great fire of Brampton' in 1985 AVM Robin Lees' CB and the rest of his 'bling' was a blob of metal in a huge pile of smouldering rubble which was all that remained of the Support Command HQ.

I was one of the lucky ones, working in a little hut in the back garden of a surplus OMQ. As I only had about 3 months to go before being posted and had just moved Mrs O-D, my cats and dog to my 'country seat' - bought with Mrs O-Ds commuted pension plus a stonking great mortgage, I was able to avoid much of the chaos which ensued.

O-D

Tankertrashnav
4th Sep 2019, 10:53
I had no idea of their potential worth and thought, perhaps, the CB insignia might have been returned to whoever.

In fact the only insignia which have to be returned on the death of the holder are those of the Order of the Garter and the Order of the Thistle. All others are passed on and may be retained or sold as the new owner wishes.

pzu if you want to contact me by PM I can offer my advice of the best way to dispose of these with a view to raising the most money for charity, and you can forward that to the person your referred to in your original post.

TTN