PDA

View Full Version : Regaining PPL after 15 years not flying

totalmungbean
1st Sep 2019, 15:01
After some advice please. My wife used to be a PPL Flying Instructor. She also had a CPL/ATPL and Instrument Rating, but she hasn't flown for around 15 years now.

What would she need to do to regain a basic PPL to fly solo (e.g in a 172)?

PS, we're UK based.

BEagle
2nd Sep 2019, 05:51
1. No exams.
2. Refresher flying as required (a DTO will need to describe this on the relevant form).
3. SEP Class Rating Proficiency Check ( if she wants a PPL) or LAPL Proficiency Check with a Flight Examiner.
4. Class 2 medical (for PPL) or LAPL medical (for LAPL).
5. No exams.
6. Apply to CAA for the relevant licence.

TheOddOne
2nd Sep 2019, 22:04
We did one the other day, including expired JAR licence and a 7 year lapse. Applied on-line, licence back in 2 weeks.

TOO

rudestuff
2nd Sep 2019, 22:35
It's like riding a bike. A couple of practice flights and a test.

Training Risky
3rd Sep 2019, 11:26
6. Apply to CAA for the relevant licence.
Even if you have a CAA PPL? Isn't the licence valid forever if you intend to fly non-EASA types?

(I am in a similar boat: CAA PPL/SEP/IR getting back on the horse after 17 years non flying)

BillieBob
3rd Sep 2019, 13:24
Isn't the licence valid forever if you intend to fly non-EASA types?Yes, but the class rating isn't and, in any case, the OP referred to a C172, which is an EASA aircraft.

Camargue
4th Sep 2019, 10:48
Well, until April 2020 at least ( and problably longer and maybe indefinitely) if you dont want to fly a 172 overseas you can get by with the old ppl(a) and if you fly less that 2000kg mtom (ie most 4 seaters) you can get by with a self declared medical....

Training Risky
4th Sep 2019, 13:17
Yes, but the class rating isn't and, in any case, the OP referred to a C172, which is an EASA aircraft.
Yes of course. I was focused on my plan, which is to see if I can go straight into microlight flying. The BMAA have been very helpful.