View Full Version : A question for all Irish people here who have tried the Aer Lingus cadetship

Turbsy
22nd Apr 2001, 21:39
Hi all,

Would really appreciate it if anyone who has their Leaving cert completed can tell me were you asked any questions with regard to your results, in the interviews, etc if you got that far - in the Aer Lingus cadetship or any cadetship for that matter?

From speaking to many people over the years and asking Aer Lingus, it seems you don't have to worry about getting a pretty good Leaving. Is this definitely the case?

Would I have to repeat the Leaving Cert next year (since Iam only doing 6 subjects and not doing Physics or chemistry), if I want to have any chance of having a flying career with an airline?

Any advice/info would be excellent.
Thanks,
David

Teroc
23rd Apr 2001, 11:46
David,
Ive been for the Aer Lingus cadetship twice and have been through the interview stages..alas to no avail. I actually asked them the very same question you've posed here including 3rd level qualifications as well.....and this is the answer I got...
Once youve passed your leaving cert and have at least Mathematics you're pretty much alright. They like you to have at least 1 science related subject although its not 100% necessary. You may be asked why you picked some subjects over others and thats about it. Its not necessary to have a fabulous leaving and they dont place too much emphasis on it, but you do need to have passed.
Having a brilliant academic record doesnt mean you can fly an Aircraft. It might make retention and understanding of the theory easier but when it comes to flying skills some people just cant hack it or, believe it or not, just dont like it.

Hope this helps

Teroc

Turbsy
23rd Apr 2001, 14:27
Thanks mate,

Might see you at the next cadetship then, whenever it goes ahead.

Best of luck,
David

Teroc
24th Apr 2001, 11:27
Yep. I'll be there - reckon it'll be next year though to be honest. We sit in hope though.

Take Care

T.