PDA

View Full Version : 737 800MAX pilot jobs lost in Fiji

Centaurus
28th Aug 2019, 13:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpGrhZ68MuY

I understand from one 737 expat pilot laid off by Fiji Air that a bunch of other expats due to fly the 737MAX with Fiji Air have now lost their jobs.

PPRuNeUser0184
28th Aug 2019, 20:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpGrhZ68MuY

I understand from one 737 expat pilot laid off by Fiji Air that a bunch of other expats due to fly the 737MAX with Fiji Air have now lost their jobs.

hardly surprising

rodney rude
28th Aug 2019, 21:29
Doing an active clean out of expats. Playing the race card.

blackwing
28th Aug 2019, 23:27
Only 3 737NGs in operation with crew numbers for 5 so something had to give. They couldn't secure NGs in the interim on dry lease... Nothing to do with the race card...

krismiler
29th Aug 2019, 00:12
Expats always get laid off first as they are more expensive than those on local terms. Having your head on the block is the price for the additional pay and benefits.

geeup
29th Aug 2019, 01:39
Life of a contract expat pilot.

unobtanium
31st Aug 2019, 06:46
Only 3 737NGs in operation with crew numbers for 5 so something had to give. They couldn't secure NGs in the interim on dry lease... Nothing to do with the race card...

Ironic that expats are whinging about the race card. Whats the difference between an expat and skilled migrant worker?

Sparrows.
1st Sep 2019, 01:04
Whats the difference between an expat and skilled migrant worker?

Usually one results in upwards pressure on conditions and the other results in downward pressure on conditions. I’ll let you figure out what one is what

unobtanium
1st Sep 2019, 04:29
Usually one results in upwards pressure on conditions and the other results in downward pressure on conditions. I’ll let you figure out what one is what

Again, assumed superiority based on skin color.

AmIInsane
1st Sep 2019, 06:10
Again, assumed superiority based on skin color. Sparrow did not mention skin colour and is bang on.

Many un-skilled/‘skilled’ migrants that onshore in developed countries never leave and eventually obtain citizenship. Most expats are not afforded the same luxury in India/Africa/Asia/Middle East/PNG/Islands.

IllinoisDavidson
1st Sep 2019, 11:53
Perhaps this is the wrong thread to jump in on, considering it is about firing expats, but I am actually wondering if anyone has heard any rumors about Fiji hiring in the near future. So far, I have not seen any pilot positions recently posted on their website.

My husband is interested in possibly working with them on their Airbus fleet. He recently received his green card and would like to keep it valid. One of his options (besides flying in the US, which we are actively pursuing) would be working for a company like Korea Air or Fiji Airways and living in the LAX outport base. We keep reading too many horror stories concerning the expat pilot experience at KAL. It looks like expat pilots with Fiji also experience similar 'racist' problems? Should we just assume this is par-for-the-course for asian airlines?

dodo whirlygig
1st Sep 2019, 12:50
We keep reading too many horror stories concerning the expat pilot experience at KAL. It looks like expat pilots with Fiji also experience similar 'racist' problems? Should we just assume this is par-for-the-course for asian airlines?

Fiji isn't in Asia.

Ken Borough
2nd Sep 2019, 04:47
Fiji isn't in Asia.

Alleuyah for that!! :D

Buswinker
2nd Sep 2019, 10:52
OT but is there any reason your husband isn’t doing his own research? I see you have many posts on his behalf

IllinoisDavidson
2nd Sep 2019, 11:13
Buswinker,
I'm not sure why you would need to ask this question. As you probably already know, pilot schedules can be crazy busy. It is still the summer season right now (when I am not working and when he is flying like a maniac) so I am helping as best as I can before I start working again in the fall. This is personally how I approach a partnership. Both partners help each other out and provide their spouse with whatever support they can. My job happens to require a detail-oriented personality and research skills, so I am putting them to good use for my husband. I have also learned a lot about the aviation business in the process. A good opportunity to learn something new. To each their own.

OT but is there any reason your husband isn’t doing his own research? I see you have many posts on his behalf

Oakape
3rd Sep 2019, 01:37
Well, that put him back in his box!!! lol

Buswinker
3rd Sep 2019, 08:19
Not really, it wasn’t a criticism just a question!