PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair closing bases

Thepirate
24th Aug 2019, 09:19
very surprised to hear the news that Ryanair closing Spanish bases including Girona! This comes on the back of news that fao closing amongst others.

what is going on, i know they blame the max delays and brexit but surely there is something else afoot. What sort of job security can we now expect at “Europe's favorite airline”. They only held a massive recruitment drive last and earlier this year.

personally I think they are substituting Ryanair expansion for lauda, ryanair sun and air malta with the associated lower cost base. Perhaps all O’Learys bluster about fare wars in Europe has significantly affected Ryanair with tough battles on all fronts.

just wondering the thoughts of the community

763 jock
24th Aug 2019, 11:59
Simple. Too much capacity in Europe.

Mostly courtesy of Ryanair...

Maxfli
24th Aug 2019, 12:08
very surprised to hear the news that Ryanair closing Spanish bases including Girona! This comes on the back of news that fao closing amongst others.

what is going on, i know they blame the max delays and brexit but surely there is something else afoot. What sort of job security can we now expect at “Europe's favorite airline”. They only held a massive recruitment drive last and earlier this year.

personally I think they are substituting Ryanair expansion for lauda, ryanair sun and air malta with the associated lower cost base. Perhaps all O’Learys bluster about fare wars in Europe has significantly affected Ryanair with tough battles on all fronts.

just wondering the thoughts of the community

TFS, FAO, ACE, GRO are all leisure driven traffic.
Looming recession has spooked the analysts and the core model will be to fly at rather than fly from the bases in question, and yes replaced by lower cost crew.

1+F
1st Sep 2019, 09:33
It's bloody obvious!

Split up the work force in 4 or 5 airlines rather than 1 large, and make it even harder for the workers to unite for fair conditions. It'll be legal labyrinths for the unions and effectively killing any chance for effective industrial action. Its back to the old days of playing bases against each other, just this time it'll be airlines.

"we're seeing tougher competition in Barcelona, so you need to take a pay cut. If you don't, we'll reduce the size of the base and move in planes from Lauda or Buzz" copy paste with different base and airline names, and its back to management dictating conditions unilaterally.

It's despicable and brilliant. All in order to get Oleary his massive bonus by driving up the share price to 20€. Fares aren't going up by his hand, but costs can go down.

Exactly. They are just moving the goal posts to serve the same ends.

Newcomer2
1st Sep 2019, 10:39
In the meantime Laudamotion is hiring in Palma with a package about 37% less than in Ryanair...

100knots
1st Sep 2019, 11:11
How long before we see lauda bases opening in some of the aforementioned ryanair closing bases.

Seems to be checkmate by O’Leary

people will accept these positions at lauda, can’t blame them gotta put food on the table somehow, perhaps some redundant ryanair staff will join aswell! (Ofcoarse only non union trouble makers need apply)

only thing that can save the profession from being degraded completely is collective union bargaining representing European pilots as a whole. Americans did it. European airlines have some of the lowest pay in the “developed” world.

Now what are the chances of that happening? 😂

should have been a GP

El Capitano
15th Sep 2019, 20:03
I keep on saying that, O Leary and his scum management is causing the cancer in Europe in aviation. Don,t accept his conditions any longer and he will not have the crew anymore to fly his airplanes. You pilot guys and girls are with 4000 man force, if you count the cabin crew also you are with many thousands more. WORK TOGETHER and organise a massive pan European strike, lasting as long as needed.

E.C

sonicbum
25th Sep 2019, 08:44
Heard from friends that more turbulence is being experienced across European bases...

SanHor
25th Sep 2019, 09:25
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/747x1024/4d913887_506a_46e4_a52d_d01ec862e51c_384c35273e09b7e94b6d346 f78bbff6f6cc9f504.jpg

sonicbum
25th Sep 2019, 10:53
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/747x1024/4d913887_506a_46e4_a52d_d01ec862e51c_384c35273e09b7e94b6d346 f78bbff6f6cc9f504.jpg

Apparently there are other 5 or 6 other big bases in the same situation...

Banana Joe
25th Sep 2019, 10:58
Manchester, Ciampino, Barcelona, Dublin and Berlin. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to see Laudamotion or Buzz opening bases in these locations.

sonicbum
25th Sep 2019, 11:27
Manchester, Ciampino, Barcelona, Dublin and Berlin. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to see Laudamotion or Buzz opening bases in these locations.

Madrid as well apparently.

jmmoric
25th Sep 2019, 14:03
Looks like Ryanair is trying to capitalize on the fall of Thomas Cook, and an increase of available pilots on the market, by pressing their own crew out, and hiring new at lower cost.

If that is the case, I sincerely hope pilots will go for other airlines.

sonicbum
25th Sep 2019, 17:05
Looks like Ryanair is trying to capitalize on the fall of Thomas Cook, and an increase of available pilots on the market, by pressing their own crew out, and hiring new at lower cost.

Very likely, also consider the fact that ryr pilots have spent the last couple of years trying to increase their package through unions across Europe, successfully in most cases and this is also a way for the management to re-establish who has the stick.

1+F
5th Oct 2019, 14:33
I am hearing from sources that the PFO base is targeted for transfer to RYR Sun with the usual reduction in terms and conditions on a take it or leave attitude.
I'm not sure..... because most of the pilots are on a RYR contract there.

Meester proach
5th Oct 2019, 16:42

it doesnt come come across like that - more “ your lucky to have a job, even if we don’t need you in winter “.

like some sort of veiled threat

RoyHudd
5th Oct 2019, 17:59
Manchester closing??? Surely not...

zerotohero
5th Oct 2019, 19:06
What an absolute cancer to aviation.

Id rather wash dishs than go back to Ryanair or any of the outfits they now own.

mach85
6th Oct 2019, 05:44

Id rather wash dishs than go back to Ryanair or any of the outfits they now own.

Point taken and well understood..........

However washing dishes sadly won’t pay most people’s mortgages or feed the hungry mouths at the dinner table.
Whilst im sure most people agree with the general sentiment of your statement, needs must unfortunately and these airlines also know this!!

pineteam
6th Oct 2019, 05:46
I’m just woundering: How can they still compete against Easyjet for instance who operates more and more A320 NEO which burn up to 15% less fuel compare to A320 CEO. A 737 800 is pretty much obsolete nowadays in a such competitive environment.

bigdaviet
6th Oct 2019, 06:41
I’m just woundering: How can they still compete against Easyjet for instance who operates more and more A320 NEO which burn up to 15% less fuel compare to A320 CEO. A 737 800 is pretty much obsolete nowadays in a such competitive environment.
I think the general answer to your question is in this thread! Their operating costs are lower than EZY because of above shenanigans.

i presume

AviatorDave
6th Oct 2019, 09:18
accessing the Airbus product via Laudamotion gives a chance to compare the B vs A argument. I think time will favour the Airbus product - not just for Ryan but also for another prolific (UK) Boeing user who (words have it) are possibly looking at the Airbus product to replace the -800.

I think so too. Boeing lost the narrowbody SH market in Europe quite some time ago and has only defended an ever shrinking bridgehead by offering huge discounts on the NG. The MAX disaster certainly doesn‘t help a comeback. Even over in the US forums people are concerned about the taxes slapped onto Airbus products because there is currently no US built equivalent to the A320 series, even if the Alabama plant will be spared from tariffs.

FlightDetent
6th Oct 2019, 13:06
RYR do not pay social contributions and health insurance on behalf of their crew - wherever they can. Left France and maybe somewhere in BE/NL because of this. If you think the pilots get a hard shoulder, it means you never heard of how RYR cc are treated.

My best estimate is Soc+Heal is about 35% of employee cost on the continent. Your observation about NEOs will be true, however not so many of them flying yet. Plus I guess EZY as a company become more complex on the inside and gained some fat over the years. Whereas RYR seem to be ruthless and keeping in shape.

Your question makes a lot more sense to me if we substitute RYR for WIZZ - and then I wonder same as you. But those 321 NEOs @230 seats do not come cheap at all. Unlike the NGs, I suppose.

beachbumflyer
6th Oct 2019, 22:33

But pilots deserve a lot of the blame for that

RavenOne
7th Oct 2019, 00:15
But pilots deserve a lot of the blame for that

U retarded mate?

737 CL
7th Oct 2019, 09:02
U retarded mate?
https://ryanair.workable.com/j/8D93FC4033?viewed=true&source=AviationJobs.Me

It seems the closing bases refers to a worst T & C in the company.

booze
7th Oct 2019, 11:38
I don't see any base closures here, just a mere swap of the email/manual headers, contracts and crew id-s from RYR to Buzz/Laudamotion coming with worse T&C-s...