PDA

View Full Version : Bankstown Airport History

Popeye6
23rd Aug 2019, 03:28
G,Day and thanks for accepting me into this forum. I have long admired those who fly and wish I had learned but alas life got in the way and it never happened. I love warbirds and have attended a weekend at Temora to view these amazing machines several times.

The crux of my post today is to seek information, stories or photos of two people who had a flying school at Bankstown back in the 50's and 60's. The two people I am referring to are Alan Murray and his wife Phyllis. They were my Great Uncle and Aunt.

I am a very keen family history buff and have discovered them through my research. Alan was a pilot in the RAAF during WW2 and received a commendation in the Kings Birthday list in 1946 for his efforts in clearing Brussels in a damaged Typhoon which crashed and severely injured him. His wife Phyllis was a pilot in her own right and I have a newspaper article in which it was said she had the distinction of being the first female pilot of a floatplane in Australia.

However I cannot find any information on her. I do have a newspaper article complete with photo of Phyllis and her then 6 yr old son Gregory after all three of then landed at Royal Newcastle Aero Club Aerodrome on a business trip in 1954.

As for Alan, apparently he flew with Geoff Goodall who some members may be aware of. The article I have mentions he had clocked up some 2880 flying hours in some 51 types of aircraft from heavy bombers to fighters. He also flew the Gloucester Meteor.

Sadly I never met either Alan or his wife and have only just connected through my family history research his Grand Daughter and his son. I would like to attach the articles and a photo but cannot due to forum rules regarding numbers of posts. Any information that could be supplied would be most appreciated.

Cheers Bob