PDA

View Full Version : Dog

PilotViking
22nd Aug 2019, 21:51
This might not be the best forum to try this on, but worth a shot!
So I am trying to transport a puppy, 4 months old (3 KG) from Northern Ireland to Phoenix, Arizona and the UK rules regarding pet on air transport is not the easiest in the world.. Anyone got any experience or suggestions? Is it worth flying to another country in Europe with a more relaxed view on this?

I know it is possible to do it from the UK, but it can be quite pricy for what it is.

cavuman1
22nd Aug 2019, 22:11
PilotViking - I wish I knew the answer to your conundrum, but anyone who loves dogs (especially puppies!) is a friend of mine automatically. I am certain your questions will have a satisfactory response in the very near future. Meanwhile, your pup deg is looking forward to this:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x643/dog_road_trips_c7352fea6e09e1d20748d489dc3677534d34572b.jpg
- Ed ;)

Nightstop
23rd Aug 2019, 07:04
I once met a couple exercising their dog at the Channel Tunnel pet area Folkstone prior to boarding the car shuttle to Calais. They were in a Taxi going to CDG, from where the dog was being transported to South America, much cheaper than from the UK apparently. And there are no pet checks whatsoever outbound from the UK to France from what I’ve experienced.

parabellum
24th Aug 2019, 10:44
KLM used to allow small dogs to be carries in the pax cabin, at a cost.

Nightstop
24th Aug 2019, 11:54
I once had to offload a KLM Captain and an undocumented Labrador puppy, which he was carrying in his holdall. Most upset he was when I told him my Company and DEFRA didn’t allow pet transport from AMS to NWI in the F27.

cavuman1
24th Aug 2019, 13:33
Me again, PilotViking! Perhaps this link might prove to be of assistance to you: Pet Transport to Phoenix, Arizona (https://www.pacpet.com/phoenix-arizona-pet-transport)

- Ed :ok:

PilotViking
27th Aug 2019, 14:41
Anyone used Norwegian or know their policy? they seem rather good with dogs.

Repos
27th Aug 2019, 16:36
What NIGHTSTOP says reminds me of my experience trying to bring an elderly cat to SW France back in 2007. It was only possible to fly with certain carriers from/to certain airports. In our case it turned out to be BA who would not engage at all.
They blankly referred me (very long answerphone message) to "Pet Travel Agents". I finally gave in and got a quote - 700 sterling!! - No.
Brought her in the car through the tunnel with all the necessary paperwork and nobody even looked at her.
I know this doesn't help you much but suggests that avoiding a direct flight from the UK may be a good idea.
Good luck, and please let us know how you get on.

PilotViking
28th Aug 2019, 03:18
Yeah... I was hoping for a easier route, but it seems taking the tunnel to Europe might be the easier option. only problem is that I currently live in Northern Ireland so its quite far away from London! I assume on the train, its just like any other train and I could just bring the dog with as long as all the papers are in order. Then catch a flight from CDG or somewhere to the states.

wiggy
28th Aug 2019, 14:32
I was hoping for a easier route, but it seems taking the tunnel to Europe might be the easier option. only problem is that I currently live in Northern Ireland so its quite far away from London!

You know, I hate to even hint at the relevance to all this of a proposed major event :oh:, doing so always seems to start heated arguments, so I will simply ask: are you be planning on traveling through the tunnel to Europe with the animal before the start of November ;)?

Without expressing further opinion I offer this link:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20190822/pet-owners-warned-of-four-month-wait-for-travel-between-france-and-uk-after-brexit

Nightstop
28th Aug 2019, 15:58
A very good link Wiggy. In anticipation of these issues, my pooches’ Pet Passports have been transferred from the UK to a rather hot EU Country. They are now able to sniff around whatever tree takes their fancy, anywhere in the EU, without restrictions.

PilotViking
28th Aug 2019, 18:10
Just had a look at it looks like Eurostar no longer accept dogs.. Any other suggestions then?
My plan for a moment was to get to a EU country with easier regulation and fly Norwegian or something similar that allows for dogs within the schengen area and have it as a carry on... Problem now is getting to another EU country with the dog without breaking the bank!

Capt Scribble
28th Aug 2019, 18:54
Give away the dog and buy similar in the US. Tell partner, dog seems to have changed a bit due to stress of the journey.