PDA

View Full Version : QF FY19 results

pinkpanther1
22nd Aug 2019, 00:28
$1.3 Billion group profit before tax with record revenue. Not a bad result given the goings on of the world.

wheels_down
22nd Aug 2019, 00:55
‘Jetstar Asia faced challenges’

Rinse and Repeat.

patty50
22nd Aug 2019, 01:18
Good news is another $591m back to shareholders. Share price has been slipping so have to pump it a little more.

No cash bonus for staff this year because everyone complained last year. $1250 for staff travel, they must’ve seen how many peoples $500 expired and thought it would be a brilliant idea to give more bonuses they won’t have to actually pay for.

Ollie Onion
22nd Aug 2019, 02:13
We all complained because it came with pathetic conditions designed purely to act as a lever during contract negotiations.

Beer Baron
22nd Aug 2019, 03:04
3 “experimental” flights direct JFK+LHR - SYD.

What’s the bet they use their best management pilots, survey them at the end and then determine that you can fly for 24 hours with the current crew compliment just fine. Then try to pressure CASA and AIPA to accept that.

blubak
22nd Aug 2019, 03:26
May as well be 1250 cents its that useless. Beg for a seat,miss 3 flights before you get on if ur lucky,easier to buy a $100 confirmed ticket & sit down the back where you would have ended up anyway but at least your plans arent in tatters.

pocker pipty
22nd Aug 2019, 03:37
I just hope all those new staff members with NDOJ and the high priority receive this also

22nd Aug 2019, 03:40
Record profits across many groups....

How will this affect the negotiations?

Blueskymine
22nd Aug 2019, 03:46
I just hope all those new staff members with NDOJ and the high priority receive this also

You’ll find they’re ALT paxers mainly. And IT Guys.....

22nd Aug 2019, 04:09

griffin one
22nd Aug 2019, 04:11
staff travel is a absolute joke.
NDOJ trump 30+ years of service and unless you’re an exec with F upgrade 1250 pesos DOESNT pay the mortgage.
frontline staff screwed again.

Chris2303
22nd Aug 2019, 04:13
Meanwhile:Jetstar losing money on regional NZ services, watching market 'closely'https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12261025

Street garbage
22nd Aug 2019, 04:41

Well it's still a NO vote from me...and probably 85% of SH crew.
And while we are on it....anyone here from ADL base care to comment?

Berealgetreal
22nd Aug 2019, 05:22
The “game change” program obviously devastating he QF bottom line. Crisis meetings 24/7.

Whats happening in ADL?

blow.n.gasket
22nd Aug 2019, 05:35
Must be Executive Bonus season again as well , another share buy back scheme just announced , only $400 million worth this time !

Street garbage
22nd Aug 2019, 06:24
The “game change” program obviously devastating he QF bottom line. Crisis meetings 24/7.

Whats happening in ADL?
Rumour (this is PPRUNE) was they were going to all vote yes...

OneDotLow
22nd Aug 2019, 06:39
Rumour (this is PPRUNE) was they were going to all vote yes...

I can knock that rumour right on the head. There’s only one ‘company man’ I know of who will be voting yes. Everyone else I have spoken to is a firm NO.

Street garbage
22nd Aug 2019, 06:55
I can knock that rumour right on the head. There’s only one ‘company man’ I know of who will be voting yes. Everyone else I have spoken to is a firm NO.
Thanks mate, that is great to know..I have only met one person voting yes, he likes going to YWLM apparently...

dragon man
22nd Aug 2019, 07:21
If the short haul pilots vote this down and have a piss up in Sydney to celebrate count me in for $500 over the bar. It would make me so happy to spend it.

Chad Gates
22nd Aug 2019, 07:22

Whats happening in ADL?

Rumour is:
The Qantas Adelaide based 737 pilots (captains anyway) are voting yes as they believe this will save the base, or something line that. Most are training captains. I've no idea if they have an agenda or not, but the rumours are strong.

dragon man
22nd Aug 2019, 07:27
Rumour is:
The Qantas Adelaide based 737 pilots (captains anyway) are voting yes as they believe this will save the base, or something line that. Most are training captains. I've no idea if they have an agenda or not, but the rumours are strong.

Of course they would, always back the horse called self interest.

Street garbage
22nd Aug 2019, 07:40
Rumour is:
How many Captains in ADL? Low 30's? And yes, you must have heard the same rumour.

ruprecht
22nd Aug 2019, 07:47
Why would voting yes save the ADL base?

Is it in danger of closing?

Berealgetreal
22nd Aug 2019, 07:51
Yeah then they close the base the next day..
Doubt a yes or no would change the outcome.
Pretty clear you have the numbers for ADL base.

Transition Layer
22nd Aug 2019, 08:31
Wonder how many ThankQ points you get for a Yes vote? ;)

Rated De
22nd Aug 2019, 09:11
$1.3 Billion group profit before tax with record revenue. Not a bad result given the goings on of the world.

There is a rather large chasm between a "management preferred profit measure" (Non-statutory) versus a statutory measure.

crosscutter
22nd Aug 2019, 09:21
Rumour is:

That rumour, if true, is moronic logic.

If the base is costing the company money (which it’s not) then it probably still wouldn’t close. This takes the cake for the biggest scaremongering campaign this season.

We wouldn’t be having this discussion if the architect and biggest proponent of the base wasn’t soon to be MEL based.

If true, I shake my head and again ponder the intellect of pilots.

Nothing would cause the bases closure faster than an alienated AIPA membership demanding its closure in preference for better patterns.

OneDotLow
22nd Aug 2019, 13:03
I’ve never heard such rubbish re closing the base. And just how acceptance of this deal on the table would sway that one way or the other is beyond me.

But it is a rumour network, so whatever floats your boat...

#voteno

Angle of Attack
23rd Aug 2019, 04:27
No Vote recorded, the next day management says
”That’s it! The ADL base is closing with immediate effect!”

If anyone actually believed that as a fact or if it does happen I will swim in and drink the outflow of the river Torrens until the
Gastro set in and then admit myself to hospital.

Im guessing the result will be about 85/15 No vote, you always have the minority of scaredy cats that will, vote Yes even if it meant cutting your pay with more hours worked lol!

Beer Baron
23rd Aug 2019, 05:58
No Vote recorded, the next day management says
”That’s it! The ADL base is closing with immediate effect!”
That might actually increase the No vote as many believe the fact the ADL base exists reduces density across the other bases.

(For what it’s worth, I don’t believe the rumour and I wouldn’t wish the base closure on my ADL colleagues)

Angle of Attack
23rd Aug 2019, 09:50
ADL has the best flying by far, dense and avoids SYD and MEL much more than other bases. It rocks!
Side note no one is voting on this agreement wrt an ADL base issue they will be voting on it as a ****house proposition.
If only the company would lock out short haul , it would rock! Haven’t had leave for ages!

mohikan
23rd Aug 2019, 11:31
The ADL base has the most number of pole smokers and rorters amongst the training captains in the entire history of QF. They all love Alan and are true believers.

The training captains there (majority of the base) pull all the super dense flying supposedly in the name of "training" but really so they can get days off and then they abuse and threaten any other Captain or F/O on social media who dare to question their massive authority.

One non-training captain asked reasonable questions about the roster rorting and was run out of the place basically. Had to go to Perth to stop being victimised.

If a no vote kills Adelaide I will be voting no for sure.

Transition Layer
23rd Aug 2019, 14:00
Gold!
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/480x331/giphy_93e805067b5b3d3f06f8d8e687bfd7410e5eda12.gif

wheels_down
23rd Aug 2019, 21:57
Well that’s disturbing.

maggot
23rd Aug 2019, 23:13
In other news the fltops website has crashed from too many folks downloading the adl eligible bidders list for inspection...

:bored:

dr dre
24th Aug 2019, 00:22
This is nonsense.

There’s no value in pitting one base vs another. Vote for/against the EBA on its merits.

Once upon a time it was basically all Sydney, now it’s much better. With a more de-centralised base system it affords the choice of any of the 5 major cities for pilots to live in and it’s easier on the home/family life to be close to their city of origin if they wish. There’s a lot of untold value in that and it’ll reduce stress and anxiety amongst the group as well. All pilots have had to move multiple times in their career but the fact that most can now reside in their place of origin is a good thing, and should be upheld, regardless of effects on density etc.

ruprecht
24th Aug 2019, 01:17
Yeah, it’s a good thing.

Unless you actually live in Sydney, which is now so senior it’s ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Seaview2
24th Aug 2019, 01:21
Yeah, it’s a good thing.

Unless you actually live in Sydney, which is now so senior it’s ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Exactly!!!! For those of us that moved to sydney and set up here they just keep moving the goal posts. Guess it’ll be junior in about 20 years.

MELKBQF
25th Aug 2019, 12:56
https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/travel/2019/08/23/qantas-flight-cancellation-numbers/

dragon man
25th Aug 2019, 15:29
A very good story, he must not have a Chairman’s club card. Also at one stage they were ferrying flights empty to put them back on schedule.

Rated De
25th Aug 2019, 22:59
https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/travel/2019/08/23/qantas-flight-cancellation-numbers/

A very interesting article.
Airlines have dual obligations, holding a high capacity RPT licence and also commercial agreements (with airports and navigation service providers) to fly a published schedule.

Serial offenders, historically have been low fare airlines. The benefit being that with low yielding airfares, high load factors can be maintained, whilst curtailing operating expense.
Perhaps rumoured crew shortages are impacting?
Perhaps also reduced maintenance expenditure is telling?
A quick check of online booking options shows enormous divergence between the company and competitors and this is well detailed by Michael Pascoe, highlighting the reported operating margin.

dragon man
25th Aug 2019, 23:43
It staggers me that the ACCC has not got on Qantas’s case for abuse of their near monopoly position in the domestic market. Push load factors up to the high nineties by cancelling flights and then obscene fares for the few remaining seats.

Seaview2
26th Aug 2019, 00:36
Not to stand up too much for Qf but have the cancellations due to single runway ops in Sydney the last few months increased the figures a little abnormally?

PoppaJo
26th Aug 2019, 02:36
That happened to me recently. Sydney to Canberra weekend late night flight Virgin didn’t have a service after 5. Qantas had three after 5. Flight was $149 booking a week out. Went to book the next day noticing all flights removed bar one. Flight price had jumped to $399. Ended up driving it.

Chris2303
26th Aug 2019, 03:17
When I worked nights in reservations we used to get the flow control cancellations at around 2300 NZ.

We usually had them dealt with by 0030.

I don't believe I ever, in 7 years, saw a cancellation due to light loadings. Most flights I dealt with were around the 75-85% mark.

Rated De
26th Aug 2019, 03:18
It staggers me that the ACCC has not got on Qantas’s case for abuse of their near monopoly position in the domestic market. Push load factors up to the high nineties by cancelling flights and then obscene fares for the few remaining seats.

A great question.
A bit of soft corruption ensures regulators look the other way.

Wasn't it Rocket Rod Sims that granted Qantas an exemption to the Competition and Consumer Act 2001, allowing a tie up with Emirates to dominate travel to and from Australia?
Rocket rejected the premise for the application, namely that Qantas International was in "terminal decline" but gave them the exemption anyway...

dragon man
26th Aug 2019, 04:37
They have recently thrown some crumbs to regional ports after they were beaten up in the senate inquiry, I’ve seen $750 return for 1 hour each way to Coffs Harbour.

PoppaJo
26th Aug 2019, 04:46
I know of someone was recently trying to go Mt Isa to BNE. Was cheaper to do Isa to Auckland and throw away the last leg.

Quite often it’s cheaper to go the Australian Regional city to say BKK, DPS, HKG, SIN via Sydney return on one booking then it is a single domestic from regional to Sydney return.

Play with the multi trip booking system a bit and it’s why so many people in isolated communities plan a overseas holiday with a capital city visit.