PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus Future Pilot Programme 2019 - ASSESSMENT CENTER

Manos
21st Aug 2019, 17:09
This thread is for all those who got the precious call to attend the assessment center in September and for those who have already done this!

rachiffer
23rd Aug 2019, 09:52
Great - thanks for setting this up Manos.

Good of luck to everyone! :)

NesherUY
30th Aug 2019, 05:43
According to the e-mail it's a group excercise (probably looking into how we manage communicating with people and expressing opinions), a panel interview (maybe you seated in front of a number of people from the company? Talking about yourself and your background and motivation and why AL perhaps) and if you're successful, a personal interview that will probably be based around your qualities as a pilot and what would make you a great future captain.

All the best to everyone!

StayOutOfTheSoup
2nd Sep 2019, 14:52
What days did people get booked in for the assessments? I'm in the first week myself.

Any idea how many applied/might have made it to this stage?

And best of luck to all!!

Manos
3rd Sep 2019, 15:01
According to the e-mail it's a group excercise (probably looking into how we manage communicating with people and expressing opinions), a panel interview (maybe you seated in front of a number of people from the company? Talking about yourself and your background and motivation and why AL perhaps) and if you're successful, a personal interview that will probably be based around your qualities as a pilot and what would make you a great future captain.

All the best to everyone! They say panel exercise followed by a competency interview with two of the panel members. At least that's what my email says!

flygirl11
4th Sep 2019, 13:56
Anyone going to the one on the 17th?

roblouiswalsh
4th Sep 2019, 20:36
Yep, I will be there that day! Really looking forward to it.

Just catching up on all the boards info - looks like there will be approx. 25 of us each day?

Sp D Balazs
5th Sep 2019, 18:41
Hey guys, congratulations to everyone who made it this far! Who else is going on Friday 13th? I'll be flying from Liverpool on Thursday evening :)

Also I've read somewhere in the other FPTP forum that they're inviting around 250 people to Dublin, so around 25 each day like roblouiswalsh said!

What backgrounds do people have? I have 2 years' experience in aviation (manufacture & engineering) and no flying experience (but a passion for aviation of course!).

Manos
11th Sep 2019, 09:05
I am going there on the 13th

roblouiswalsh
11th Sep 2019, 17:24
Nice - look forward to meeting you!

I have spent the last 8 years working in advertising/marketing getting a career going (just in case) and saving with the long term goal of paying for my own training. If I am unsuccessful with this, I will likely start training in May of next year on my own coin.

If there is a whatsapp group active - do let me know!

GPMC
13th Sep 2019, 16:38
Hi guys, heading to assessment day next week. Anyone here successful enough to make the afternoon? Good luck to all

NesherUY
14th Sep 2019, 03:15
Hey, I’m going on the 19th! I’d also like to know if there’s a WhatsApp group going on. See ya!

StayOutOfTheSoup
16th Sep 2019, 14:42
Anybody know how many they take forward to the Psychiatrist/Psychologist Interview?

FuturePilot_123
17th Sep 2019, 17:27
Yeah... not sure about everyone else’s thoughts after today, but I thought it was brutal.

No feedback really does leave you in a questionable position. Have no idea where I went wrong..

For those that were successful and made it to the interview - massive congrats.

I’ll be back next year!

Aero Joe
17th Sep 2019, 18:14
To everyone going to the assessment with Aer Lingus:

I was lucky enough to attend the assessment earlier this year, however, unsuccessful, I was still advanced all the way to the last step, which was the simulator assessment.

Basically the first order is an introduction to the company, profile, supply and demand, future plans, and hiring strategy etc.

After that, you are grouped into 5-6 people and given a task with a set of rules. Our task, was to build a Lego toy in a certain amount of time, and the group finishing first would be given extra bonus points - task was to end with the most points.

We were given x amount of points, which could be used to "buy" instructions, be it video, manual and so on.

You could choose to spend all points and buy all the aids and try to finish first for bonus points, or you could save the points, use longer time to build the toy and have more points in the end, if you finish first of course. The whole point, obviously as someone pointed out was not to "win", I assume they would rather look into how you work as a group and your individual contribution towards the completion of the task.

After the group exercise, for those successful would advance further to the panel interview, which consisted for us, of 4 candidates and 2 assessors. They would give us questions, discussion topics (example question we were given: how do you think supersonic transport contributed to the industry and do you think we would ever see supersonic transport again, why and why not, etc.) They wanted us to come to a conclusion as a group for the given statement/problem and each member were given a topic which had to be started and then concluded.

I personally think that they wanted to see how you were able to formulate your opinions and ability to discuss with others, while also analyzing how dominant or subservient you formed your opinions in a group discussion environment.

If successful, candidates would advance to individual interview, by a HR and flight crew representative. They are really nice and easy-going, nothing too direct and strict, at least in my experience. They ask you flight operation related questions and mostly scenario-based.

If successful, candidates would advance to the simulator assessment - which were pretty straight-forward. First scenario, all-engines operating departure, followed by airwork (steep turns, rolling out on specific headings, speed changes, altitude changes etc.) basic stuff. Then one ILS approach into Dublin - end of scenario.

Second scenario, one-engine-inoperative departure, engine failure after v1 - vectors for ILS with FD - end of scenario. Third scenario - one crosswind ILS approach and landing (10-15kts xwc I would say). All in all pretty straight forward and the assessor is really nice and calm.

Obviously, your experience might differ from mine, but this is how mine was.

Sorry for the long post - hope this helps!

Good luck and happy trails