PDA

View Full Version : How can I enhance my prospects of becoming a pilot.

Harry999
7th Aug 2002, 15:58
I've just graduated from university with a first in Physics. I've always wanted to be a pilot but no-one appears to be recruiting trainee pilots and I don't have the money to fund myself. I therefore want to choose a career that will enhance my chances of becoming pilot later on. Does anyone think that becoming an air traffic controller would fullfill this role? They give some flying training don't they? besides the pay isn't bad and it could fund flying lessons. What do you reckon? Suggestions are more than welcome.
Many thanks
Harry

timzsta
7th Aug 2002, 19:38
Adopt a rich father ( as Stelious once said).

Gin Slinger
7th Aug 2002, 20:02
A more helpful suggestion would be to get a li' job to earn enough dosh 4 a PPL - yes??!

no sponsor
7th Aug 2002, 20:05
To be honest, there are many areas open to you. At the end of the day, you'll still have to consider how to pay for your training. In the event of not obtaining sponsored flight training, you'll have to pay yourself. If you're heart is not in ATC, then you can't be sure they would train you. As far as I know, there is little flying training for ATC, apart from a jump-seat on a jet at the end of training to view ATC from the pilots perspective. I don't know what ATC controllers earn, but I'm sure there are other means to fund training in a shorter time period. I've no idea what graduate opportunities are like in the current economic gloom, but with a first you should find it quite easy to secure a place in a management consultancy, or in banking. These will give you a substantial income, requiring you to work for 2-4 years to fund an integrated training course.

regards, NS

redsnail
7th Aug 2002, 22:34
Be careful re ATC. Their recruitment standards are as high as the airlines. Afterall, they are going to pay for your training as well as give you a wage. Training takes at least 18 months. If they think you will jack it all in soon and go flying then they will not select you.
I am currently working in operations for a small night freight company. I have already got all my licences so I don't actually need it to fund my training. I just need the money to live. Ops isn't a bad ground job because it exposes you to other aspects of the job that many pilots don't see.
There are plenty of ground jobs that will assist you in getting some money together. However, unless you win the lottery the money will not come to you quickly.
Ops
Despatcher
Engineer
Cabin crew
Loadmaster
Baggage handler

The list is endless.

timzsta
7th Aug 2002, 22:41
Sorry about that, after a long day with head in the ATPL books I needed a little release!

They are various options open to you. First you could try to convince a nice bank manager to loan you a large amount of cash - you probably need about £50k and do a full time integrated course with someone like OATS or Cabair. Remember though you are going to have to start paying it back pretty soon, and at the moment getting a job with 200 odd hours at the end of your fATPL training is going to be a massive, perhaps insurmountable challenge.

More realistically is to get a job and start working your way up the wage ladder. Save up about £5000 and do your PPL. Save up a bit more and get your Class 1 medical (£500) and then do your ATPL distance learning theoretical or full time course (£2000- £2500). Then you will probably need a loan to cover all the rest of your flying to get your licenses and do your Multi Crew Course (£2500 pounds).

Then you will join hundreds of other wannabees dreaming of one day being a 737 first officer.

Good luck

Clogmaster
8th Aug 2002, 06:26
If your heart is in flying then you should also consider going overseas. You can get a license for a third of the price, of what it costs in the UK, in countries such as USA, Australia, NZ, South Africa.

The cost - I can only speak for South Africa - expect, as a ball-park figure, to pay around £20,000, this would pay for full-time training (CPL/ME/IR) and your living costs.

Recent changes in the JAA rules mean that converting back to a UK license is no longer the big obstacle that seemed to discourage people from following this route previously.

It is possible (but not easy!) to find work outside Europe with a non-JAA license. Whilst the airlines in Europe are not hiring anyway you could build up some useful experience that way.

Good luck!
CM

Mach the Knife
8th Aug 2002, 06:30
Join the RAF and get some flying that money cannot buy

Harry999
8th Aug 2002, 11:36
Thanks guys, this is all really good advice and I'll certainly consider these options very carefully. Its great to have such a wealth of advice from like minded people.