PDA

View Full Version : What is a Day Off

deja vu
21st Aug 2019, 02:09
Would someone please describe what is considered a day off in Australian airlines.

In my last job a "G" ( guaranteed day off) day had to include 2 nights. A night was considered to be 2200 until 0600 local time. So for a single G day you must be free of duty from 2200 until 0600 the day after the G day, i.e. minimum 32 hours off. For 2 consecutive G days you would be off for 56 hours minimum. Other requirements were at least one period of 2 consecutive G's in 14 days, 8 G's in a month and 90 G's in a year with 6 weeks leave.

Are various companies FTL rules written by CASA or do the companies submit their FTLs and CASA approve them?

Hope someone can enlighten me.

Dukeunlimited
21st Aug 2019, 02:37
Within Australia, CAO 48 supplies the legislative requirements with respect to a single day off, which are very similar to your description of a 'G' day.

Next, many airlines have an exemption to CAO 48, with various amendments to the requirements found in CAO 48, in relation to flight and duty limits, as well as time free of duty.

Additionally, often your contractual terms will specify greater time free of duty requirements surrounding single and multiple days off. I don't believe there is any scope for contractual requirements to breach the CAO nor exemption. This would normally be found within your EBA, or possibly your airline's operations manual suite.

Possibly some operators are under an FRMS though I'm not entirely sure. Nor am I familiar with the requirements surrounding an FRMS.

I hope that helps.

dr dre
21st Aug 2019, 05:00
I remember several years ago JQ tried to push through that horrific “part time” contract. In it a “day off” was considered 24hrs free of duty ie you could complete a 12hr duty from 6am to 6pm on day one and then start a 12hr duty from 6pm to 6am on day two, and the 24hrs in between would’ve been considered a “day off.” There was also a provision for time off in slip ports to be considered a day off.

Rated De
21st Aug 2019, 05:39
I remember several years ago JQ tried to push through that horrific “part time” contract. In it a “day off” was considered 24hrs free of duty ie you could complete a 12hr duty from 6am to 6pm on day one and then start a 12hr duty from 6pm to 6am on day two, and the 24hrs in between would’ve been considered a “day off.” There was also a provision for time off in slip ports to be considered a day off.

What a nefarious way to squeeze.
There is no doubt that regulatory limits are now targets. When the regulatory limits are reached, "efficiency" dividends are sought. In airline administration offices world wide, "teams", all safely working Monday to Friday 0900-1700 come up with new and improved reductions in pilot amenity.
If airline management could find a way to legislate a 30 hour day (up from the current 24) airlines like this would be the first to implement it.

Mr Google Head
21st Aug 2019, 06:33
Virgin Narrow Body:

DDO definition
Means a designated day off and is a period during which the Pilot will be free of all duty at Home Base (unless otherwise agreed) or base to which temporarily transferred. A DDO shall include two (2) Local Nights and cover at least 36 hours. Consecutive days off shall include a further Local Night for each additional consecutive DDO. A Rest Period may be included as part of a DDO.

Local night definition
Is a period of eight (8) consecutive hours falling between 2100 hours and 0800 hours local time.

Thus further interpretation of the local night means the earliest start after a DDO is 0500 (8 hours since 2100)

Blueskymine
21st Aug 2019, 06:59

Correct, aside from the day off was considered 0000 - 2359

So you could sign off at midnight and sign back on 24 hours later and it was considered a day off. (If my memory serves).

I’ve still got a copy of the contract somewhere. It was epic. In a bad way.

Capt Fathom
21st Aug 2019, 11:12
A day off in GA is a day where you weren’t call into work! :}

deja vu
3rd Sep 2019, 07:19
Thanks everyone for the info.

It is staggering that CASA would make a set of rules (CAO 48) and then grant some operators permanent exemption of the rules for day after day operation. I mean the CAO 48 wasn't arrived at surely by a bunch of guys in a bar. It seems that the guys/gals worst affected by this are the back of the clock freighter pilots. It just doesn't make sense.

It sort of reminds me of GA days long ago when the boss used to say how he would like to pay us properly but he would go broke if he did. All went broke eventually anyway. So should these"airlines"

Shame on CASA.

Rated De
3rd Sep 2019, 08:31
Thanks everyone for the info.

It is staggering that CASA would make a set of rules (CAO 48) and then grant some operators permanent exemption of the rules for day after day operation. I mean the CAO 48 wasn't arrived at surely by a bunch of guys in a bar. It seems that the guys/gals worst affected by this are the back of the clock freighter pilots. It just doesn't make sense.

It sort of reminds me of GA days long ago when the boss used to say how he would like to pay us properly but he would go broke if he did. All went broke eventually anyway. So should these"airlines"

Shame on CASA.

CASA is captured. They no longer are the gate keepers of safety and enforcer of standards, when airlines whinge they listen.
After all Chairman's lounge and family upgrades are all soft corruption in the land of Oz.

To understand precisely what is going on, it is worth understanding that the seat cost of airlines must bear all the administrative overhead. This overhead is never hacked into, airline administration is disconnected from operations and as such it is operationally where "efficiency" must be found. Loss of income, supplements, shift loadings and the like. Having exhausted that days get longer, breaks get shorter and eventually incident rates grow.

The seat RASK must pay for floors of administration, not generating a cent of operating revenue but adding considerably to complexity and cost.
CASA simply are the tail, wagged by the industry dog.

mates rates
3rd Sep 2019, 08:40
It is the most important definition in any flight and duty rules.CAO 48 gave the best protection against fatigue,especially with back of the clock operations.Having flown to many different flight and duty limitations in various parts of the world CAO 48 was the best I have seen.Unfortunately,it has been watered down to CAO 48.1 and various fatigue management systems.How CAsA can approve this is unbelievable.They are only interested in abdicating their responsibility and liability.I personally operate to CAO 48 and use 650 hours a year as a maximum to avoid fatigue.

Pinky the pilot
3rd Sep 2019, 10:19
A day off in GA is a day where you weren’t called into work!

As was/still is(?) the case, especially in a certain Country to the North.:}

And I'm not referring to the place from where I have just returned.

Left 270
3rd Sep 2019, 10:42
A day off in GA is a day where you weren’t call into work! :}

Wasn’t it a day where no flight duties were performed? ;)