PDA

View Full Version : Canadian in the USA

nutlord
19th Aug 2019, 20:59
Is it possible, as a Canadian, to go to flight school in the USA, and start working there immediately?
Or do I need to go through training in Canada, get experience, and convert my license into an american one?
I know that all the pilot mill schools say you need to have the unrestricted right to work in the USA, but how would I get that if I am as of yet still untrained? Do you go through the training and just hope to get sponsored for a work visa at the end of it?

Apologies if this has already been answered, but if I could be pointed in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

fuelsurvey
20th Aug 2019, 00:12
There is no visa available to Canadians for flying.

Are either of your parents American?

Any chance of marrying an American?

You could become a nurse or something else that's covered under the TN visa program and then meet an American, get married, then become a pilot.

Do you have citizenship in a country that is part of the visa lottery program?

Do you have a million dollars to invest in the investor visa category?

I think that covers the basic options available to you.

nutlord
20th Aug 2019, 00:34
Well shoot. My fiancee will likely be getting a greencard to practice as a doctor in the USA, but I don't know if that helps much with applications for me..
I guess I'll be building my hours up north then!

bafanguy
20th Aug 2019, 12:28
Well shoot. My fiancee will likely be getting a greencard to practice as a doctor in the USA, but I don't know if that helps much with applications for me..

Once your fiancee gets her green card, won't marrying her allow you to hold a green card too ?

zondaracer
21st Aug 2019, 02:48
Once your fiancee gets her green card, won't marrying her allow you to hold a green card too ?

Yes, but it’s not automatic and there’s a priority list. Depending on demand and priority, the wait could be longer or shorter.

zondaracer
21st Aug 2019, 02:51
By the way, TC and the FAA have a reciprocal agreement for recognizing licenses, so if you do your training in Canada, you can get your FAA certificate pretty easily (taking the conversion test and getting a medical).

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentid/1027574

fuelsurvey
21st Aug 2019, 13:35
The ATP still requires that you do the CTP course.

I don't think there's a wait if you get married before she applies for a green card and you apply together. You would be part of the same application.

zondaracer
21st Aug 2019, 20:47
Yeah, no way around the CTP
course. It’s a prerequisite for the ATP knowledge test.

true_pilot
22nd Aug 2019, 19:04
Thank you for the post!

Unfortunately its true.

There is no visa available to Canadians for flying.

Are either of your parents American?

Any chance of marrying an American?

You could become a nurse or something else that's covered under the TN visa program and then meet an American, get married, then become a pilot.

Do you have citizenship in a country that is part of the visa lottery program?

Do you have a million dollars to invest in the investor visa category?

I think that covers the basic options available to you.