PDA

View Full Version : Afghan airlines???

Ereiki
7th Aug 2002, 13:36
I'm travelling to Afghanistan in September and one option is to travel by the Afghan airline Ariana from Islamabad, or from further afield. The other possibility is a UN flight also from Islamabad to Kabul. The Ariana flight is the most convenient but you fear the worst of an airline whose country is in ruins but maybe I'm being unnecessarily pessimistic. I know Ariana has an ex American Airlines Boeing plus two ex Air India A300's (and a u/s Antonov but I don't fancy that). So what should I do: take a chance with the Afghans?
-Ereiki

Rollingthunder
7th Aug 2002, 23:49
Just a personal opinion.

I wouldn't.

There are several other airlines on my personal Blacklist

Go with the UN, unless it's a Russian aircraft. No other choices... rent a car.

Rwy in Sight
8th Aug 2002, 18:54
Go Ariana.

The ex-AA aircraft should be fresh out of an inspection with AA engineering and the A300 is flown by indian crew who tend to be safe. Very little Afgan involvment then.

And then you will have the thrill of flying with them.

Rwy

Hickory Bill
21st Aug 2002, 20:08
If you want you can fly PIA or any ME airline into PAK and than catch PIA AB into kabul:rolleyes: :cool:

GlueBall
26th Aug 2002, 15:57
After a few drinks it wouldn't matter what livery the airplane has. Get on the airplane already, and don't worry in advance!

Avman
26th Aug 2002, 19:55
Hey, Glueball, do you have a drinking problem? :D I see your answer to most threads is drink beer!

Which reminds me about the guy who went to the doctor. "Doc, my hand shakes like hell. What can it be?" The doc asks him, "do you drink much?" The guy replies, "no - I spill most of it!"

GlueBall
27th Aug 2002, 01:25
I hate flying as a pax, but sometimes pilots have to "deadhead" into position. Sitting "in the back" on a 12 hour trip is no fun even if seated in business class. I can't sleep in a chair, no matter how far it reclines. What is one to do for 12 hours in a chair? :rolleyes:

Rollingthunder
27th Aug 2002, 02:07
Learn to sleep or drift just below the surface. If you can do that for 2/3 of the time, the flight is reduced to 4 hours and only punctuated by food and drink.

That is actually quite a sorry message. Flying used to be an adventure even as a pax.:(