PDA

View Full Version : Skytrans expanding?

CAVOK92
15th Aug 2019, 08:06
There are a couple of adds up on the AFAP website for crew based in Perth and Townsville. Some expansion? Didn’t think they had enough airframes for their current schedule.

tbfka
15th Aug 2019, 21:03
Anyone have an idea about how many applications they’ll receive given the minimums and preferred number of hours for both FO and CPT?

Left 270
16th Aug 2019, 02:45
Considering minimums and remuneration I doubt many.

wheels_down
16th Aug 2019, 04:35
Why don’t they upgrade their Caravan Pilots? Something called internal progression I think it’s called.

industry insider
16th Aug 2019, 08:10
I heard they were bidding for Air North?

JoeTripodi
16th Aug 2019, 10:35
I heard they were bidding for Air North?

the last thing skytrans needs is more aircraft they can barely even manage their current fleet

CAVOK92
16th Aug 2019, 21:05
Why don’t they upgrade their Caravan Pilots? Something called internal progression I think it’s called.

The low capacity RPT requirement of 500multi command make progression for the Caravan pilots very hard. The impractical and unobtainable dangling carrot.

pilotchute
16th Aug 2019, 21:47
Ridiculous Australian rules at play.

RUMBEAR
16th Aug 2019, 23:29
The Dash8 is a high capacity aircraft. Low capacity requirements don’t apply! Experience would only be limited by company policy. No reason to not promote C208 pilots to Dash8.

Brakerider
17th Aug 2019, 00:25
The Dash8 is a high capacity aircraft. Low capacity requirements don’t apply! Experience would only be limited by company policy. No reason to not promote C208 pilots to Dash8.

Is the Dash 8-100 High or Low? I would’ve thought Low.

RENURPP
17th Aug 2019, 01:03
Is the Dash 8-100 High or Low? I would’ve thought Low.
Low.......

morno
17th Aug 2019, 01:04

The Skytrans Dash 8-100 has a maximum seating capacity of 36 seats. High capacity does not apply until it exceeds 38 seats. So low capacity requirements DO apply.

RUMBEAR
17th Aug 2019, 01:28
Ok I stand to be corrected. I just looked at the definition of High Capacity. I suspect this has changed sometime in the last 5 years?. Anyway Skytrans did have a high capacity AOC 5 years ago, prior to operating the Dash8-300. ( when It only operated the 100 series Dash ). It was most definitely defined as High Capacity back then. Seems the current definition is greater than 38 seats.

pilotchute
17th Aug 2019, 01:45
Its the AOC thats classes it high or low. Qlink has a high capacity AOC and Skytrans a low capacity AOC. Same aircraft different regs.

VH DSJ
17th Aug 2019, 01:56
Its the AOC thats classes it high or low. Qlink has a high capacity AOC and Skytrans a low capacity AOC. Same aircraft different regs.

Where do you find this out? The CASA AOC search only shows if it's Charter, RPT or Aerial work.

RUMBEAR
17th Aug 2019, 02:28

Yes and No. It’s not possible to make an application for a Low Capacity AOC if you intend to operate a B747! Just like you would not apply for a High Cap AOC to operate B200’s. The largest aircraft would dictate the AOC type. However for a high capacity operator also operating smaller aircraft they would then be required to comply with High Cap regulatory requirement for the entire fleet.

Hey_pahlot
17th Aug 2019, 10:36
Pay for an FO under $60k? No thanks

beached az
20th Aug 2019, 06:44
Wonder if the expansion has anything to do with the recent changing of the guard at the top?

Brother
20th Aug 2019, 08:59
Wonder if the expansion has anything to do with the recent changing of the guard at the top?

He will be very well remunerated if he is paid by the word. He sure can talk.....

Hans Solo
21st Aug 2019, 02:19
Does anyone know what Skytrans pay their Captains these days??
Hans

beached az
21st Aug 2019, 03:59
He will be very well remunerated if he is paid by the word. He sure can talk.....

His predecessor did too, mostly bollox :=

Ejector
21st Aug 2019, 23:05
Does anyone know what Skytrans pay their Captains these days??Hans
When I inquired previously everyone included, Super they cant touch for 35 years, meal allowances, overnight allowances and it was still low numbers. Make sure you clarify any number that gets spat out to you.

Hans Solo
24th Aug 2019, 22:00
Thanks guys...but nobody seems to know any figures...$70K..$80K...$90K....$100,000+...Anyone???

Hey_pahlot
25th Aug 2019, 12:59
It's available onlice

Hans Solo
25th Aug 2019, 21:35
It's available onlice

Is it?? I've looked online and couldn't find a thing...Where online would you suggest I look?
Hans

tail wheel
25th Aug 2019, 21:59
Google is your friend:

Salaries: https://www.glassdoor.com.au/Salary/Skytrans-Pilot-Salaries-E614553_D_KO9,14.htm

Salaries - Looks a tad low: Pilots Salary - wingslapper.com (http://www.wingslapper.com/viewtopic.php?t=8230)

Vacancies: https://www.skytrans.com.au/company/careers/

Reviews: https://www.seek.com.au/companies/skytrans-airlines-804663

spektrum
26th Aug 2019, 06:30
Nothing within those links is credible. I'm very surprised not one skytrans pilot lurking on here has bothered to answer a very simple question.

wheels_down
26th Aug 2019, 07:53
EFA 737 Skipper 120k

I hope they links certainly are not credible.

smiling monkey
26th Aug 2019, 08:02
That link was probably copied form here;

https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/448354-australian-airline-wages-compilation-19.html

Duck Pilot
26th Aug 2019, 09:24
Apply for a job and ask them during the interview, it's not rocket science.

Hans Solo
26th Aug 2019, 11:24
REALLY???? not one Skytrans Pilot on here...hard to believe....Those links are worthless as has been pointed out...thought there might be at least 1 Skytrans Pilot on here willing to post.

exmexican
26th Aug 2019, 12:08
I’m told the EBA listed on FWC website is not current, and individual contracts are in place. So, I guess, turn up and negotiate your own package. Good luck.

Hans Solo
14th Sep 2019, 01:12
So.. anyone score a gig with Skytrans yet?

CAVOK92
14th Sep 2019, 02:17
Skytrans have made the decision to make all engineers redundant and use Hawkers for their maintenance.

Frightflyer
14th Sep 2019, 09:49
So.. anyone score a gig with Skytrans yet?

They have advertised again in Facebook.

Left 270
14th Sep 2019, 14:34
This thread reminds me of a rather famous Ronan Keating song.

Brother
15th Sep 2019, 02:17
Skytrans have made the decision to make all engineers redundant and use Hawkers for their maintenance.

Standard business model for the New CEO. There will be nothing left once he has finished. Good business isn't just about saving a few $. Outsourced engineering with old Dash 8s probably needing daily TLC is not a good idea.

Hans Solo
15th Sep 2019, 22:55
So, back to my original question.., have any PILOTS scored a gig with this crowd recently?

Nose wheel first
20th Sep 2019, 07:44
Quote:Originally Posted by wheels_down https://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/624620-skytrans-expanding.html#post10546414)Why don’t they upgrade their Caravan Pilots? Something called internal progression I think it’s called.

The low capacity RPT requirement of 500multi command make progression for the Caravan pilots very hard. The impractical and unobtainable dangling carrot.

Skytrans have progressed a few pilots off the C208 onto the Dash over the last two years.

As far as their AOC, yes, the Dash 8-100 is classified as a Low Cap aircraft due to seating 36, however Skytrans hold a High Cap AOC as they operated -300's in the past and I believe they intend to again.

WRT salary: (to the best of my knowledge) : Capt - $105K, F/O $75k (or thereabouts). Overnights are very rare. No EBA but everyone gets offered the same contract and I don't think there's much room for negotiation.

It's not a bad gig if you want to be home nights and have 99.9% of all weekends off. The flying is pretty good, if not repetitive and the crew are a really good bunch to work with.

NWF

Hans Solo
21st Sep 2019, 00:29
Skytrans have progressed a few pilots off the C208 onto the Dash over the last two years.

As far as their AOC, yes, the Dash 8-100 is classified as a Low Cap aircraft due to seating 36, however Skytrans hold a High Cap AOC as they operated -300's in the past and I believe they intend to again.

WRT salary: (to the best of my knowledge) : Capt - $105K, F/O $75k (or thereabouts). Overnights are very rare. No EBA but everyone gets offered the same contract and I don't think there's much room for negotiation.

It's not a bad gig if you want to be home nights and have 99.9% of all weekends off. The flying is pretty good, if not repetitive and the crew are a really good bunch to work with.

NWF

Well if a $105,000 is the best they can do, I would've declined the job anyway....WTF a $105,000 for a Dash Captain!

Duck Pilot
21st Sep 2019, 07:30
What are the other regional turboprop operators paying their Captains? It is probably a little on the low side in opinion, however I would also be considering the lifestyle issues and cost of living in Cairns compared to some of the capital cities.

Cobham pay more however their operations would be more challenging.

Justa Dash
24th Sep 2019, 04:55

NWF
Some of the DH1’s were certified for 40 seats, MSN0036 OR QQG is one example, consequently the AOC is HICAP

Justa Dash
24th Sep 2019, 05:00
There are a couple of adds up on the AFAP website for crew based in Perth and Townsville. Some expansion? Didn’t think they had enough airframes for their current schedule.

New management got ahead of themselves, thought they had won Golden Grove contract. Expansion back on hold

Induced Turbulence
24th Sep 2019, 07:21
Expansion or contraction. Rumour is they have laid off their engineering staff

uhoh
24th Sep 2019, 07:50
New management got ahead of themselves, thought they had won Golden Grove contract. Expansion back on hold

Wasn't aware that Golden Grove contract was up for renewal.

megle2
24th Sep 2019, 21:26
Induced Turb, check post 36. It refers to Hawker Pacific taking over maintenance

Paragraph377
26th Sep 2019, 03:37
I lived and worked in FNQ for 25 years. It is lovely how Skytrans went tits-up once before, and blamed all and sundry for the collapse other than Management itself, who were to blame. Ironically the Commercial Manager from Skytrans Mk 1 went across to Westwing/Skytrans Mk 2 as CEO. Now he suddenly departs and the Engineers are made redundant. So much for being loyal to the locally employed engineers. Shame on Thurston for allowing this to happen also. And so much for ‘community spirit’. Interestingly CASA have been all over Skytrans Mk 2 much the same as they were crawling all over Skytrans Mk 1. History repeating itself??

Look Mum - no hands
27th Sep 2019, 22:05
I lived and worked in FNQ for 25 years. It is lovely how Skytrans went tits-up once before, and blamed all and sundry for the collapse other than Management itself, who were to blame. Ironically the Commercial Manager from Skytrans Mk 1 went across to Westwing/Skytrans Mk 2 as CEO. Now he suddenly departs and the Engineers are made redundant. So much for being loyal to the locally employed engineers. Shame on Thurston for allowing this to happen also. And so much for ‘community spirit’. Interestingly CASA have been all over Skytrans Mk 2 much the same as they were crawling all over Skytrans Mk 1. History repeating itself??

While I feel for the engineers who have lost their jobs, I struggle to see this as a "Community Spirit" / local issue - the work is going 200m up the road, not overseas! If outsourcing the maintenance makes the operation more sustainable, with engineering staff picked up by other AMOs, then it could be the best thing for multiple sectors of the FNQ community. (I don't really expect it will, but that's another question. Time will tell.....)

flying-spike
28th Sep 2019, 00:15
Maybe they should change the name to reflect the local fauna and the style of management?...
....IRUKANDJI AIRLINES
It expands it contracts but progress is minimal
There is is little substance
Everybody can see through it
It stings everybody who comes into contact with it

Toodogs
12th Oct 2019, 06:09
Nope. They had Dash 8-300 airframes in the past and they remain on the AOC.

Horatio Leafblower
12th Oct 2019, 23:01
I heard a rumour that a number of key staff from Corporate Air have been poached by another operator.
Skytrans or Hevilift?

TBM-Legend
13th Oct 2019, 00:41
If indeed true what does that say about Corporate Air??

whichstrip
13th Oct 2019, 01:01
What are key staff, Chief pilot leaving?

CAVOK92
7th Feb 2020, 21:01
Seems they are advertising for Rockhampton based pilots. Anyone got an idea on what the growth opportunity is?

RENURPP
7th Feb 2020, 21:51
Ok I stand to be corrected. I just looked at the definition of High Capacity. I suspect this has changed sometime in the last 5 years?. Anyway Skytrans did have a high capacity AOC 5 years ago, prior to operating the Dash8-300. ( when It only operated the 100 series Dash ). It was most definitely defined as High Capacity back then. Seems the current definition is greater than 38 seats.
Nope, Dadh 100 and the like have been low capacity for a lot longer than 5 years, at least 30 years if not always.
having said that you can operate them under a high capacity AOC

Flydawg
10th Feb 2020, 04:32
Would be interesting to know what is actually happening, as they have advertised for Rocky and Townsville bases.
Mining contracts?

apacau
10th Feb 2020, 08:58
Adani perhaps? Weren’t they planning on using ROK as a base?

Frightflyer
10th Feb 2020, 09:02
Me thinks Hevilift has that contract, but never know.