PDA

View Full Version : Is there still a poaching rule on crew between the gulf airlines?

aviatorgirl72
7th Aug 2002, 11:34
Can anyone tell me whether there is still a poaching rule, between the gulf airlines?

This rule is just so old fashioned and ridiculous, as why would any airline want to hold onto staff who would prefer to work elsewhere.

A300Man
7th Aug 2002, 15:56
Reciprocal rules are applied between Emirates and Qatar.

However.......

1. Several Gulf Air crew have left and have joined both EK and QR, but mainly QR;

2. EK will still NOT accept any crew who are still employed by Qatar, unless you can produce a copy of your resignation letter to Qatar Airways and proof of final "departure";

3. Until 2 weeks ago, there were NO ex-Emirates cabin crew working for Qatar. However, there is now one. (I have to admit though that this particular individual was originally with QR, joined EK, and came back to QR).

Don't know about the others, namely Saudia and Oman Air.

Gulf Air I think at the present time will take anyone from anywhere, given the mass exodus from the carrier and its current financial status. GF are retrenching though, rather than recruiting, although their website still advertises for cabin crew applicants.

Sorry can't be more help.

A300Man
7th Aug 2002, 16:15
MT,
See you are online. You know anything more about this one?

MTQatar
7th Aug 2002, 16:18
I had a Fillipino F/A on one of my QR flights who left Oman Air to join Qatar Airways, so I think this Rule only applies between EK and QR. I would also think that KU being overstaffed wouldn't have a no-poaching deal. But I don't know about SV.

Gulf Air I think at the present time will take anyone from anywhere, given the mass exodus from the carrier and its current financial status.

I though recruitment has stopped :confused: If you remember earlier GF advertised for 80 cabin crew for the A320, IIRC no one of the pilots selected actually started flying/training for GF.

aviatorgirl72
9th Aug 2002, 03:20
Thanks A300 man, would you also know, that I have heard that if you leave any of the gulf airlines, you are automatically banned for six months, from the others?

Just heard a rumour about this one? Any truth in it?

A300Man
9th Aug 2002, 04:52
No Aviator. That 6 months rule is nonsense!!

However - beware.

Should you resign from a job in certain Gulf countries, you are sometimes (don't ask me why) blacklisted from re-enetring that particular country for 6 months. This is entirely dependent on the size and influence that your employer/sponsor has.

This is particularly common if you require to apply for a visa to enter the country (some nationalities as you know don't need visas).

Qatar was one such country which until recently applied this rule. However, with the recent relaxation on visas and events such as the summer festivals, visas are being given out like sweets!!!!!

If you join another gulf airline and are required to layover in your former country (I know that this is unlikely on short gulf sectors but there are some short nightstops now) during the first 6 months period, I have heard of instances of the immigration people becoming nasty in these circumstances, despite the fact that your details should all be in order on the GD and you are carrying your passport.

Depends a lot on the guy who is on the desk at the time. But I do know that this has happened recently to some crew who have switched airlines and countries.

Just make sure that your rostering department know the score and that any standbys you are pulled on are not scheduled layovers.

aviatorgirl72
9th Aug 2002, 11:42
Many thanks A300 I thought that this was pretty much the deal.

I would like to have your e-mail address, as I have a few more questions to ask you, but not on the forum.

Dont worry it's not a come on. Thanks!