PDA

View Full Version : MBZs in CASA Regs

josephfeatherweight
13th Aug 2019, 01:08
I wonder if someone can assist me with a deficit in my knowledge? My OCTA currency is lacking...
I see that the abbreviation MBZ (Mandatory Broadcast Zone) appears in many current CASA regulations, yet my understanding is that we don't have MBZs in Australia anymore?
Are MBZs simply designated CTAFs that require the carriage of a radio?
Thanks.

Squawk7700
13th Aug 2019, 01:10
Replaced by CTAF(R).

josephfeatherweight
13th Aug 2019, 01:27
Thanks for the quick response - yep, had actually heard of CTAF(R)s, had forgotten that identifier.
Interesting that so many current regs that were drafted well AFTER the replacement of MBZs, still reference MBZs.
Example - MOS 139 - Aerodromes - Volume 2 - the "In Force - Latest Version" was released in Jan 2017 and makes multiple references to MBZs...

LeadSled
13th Aug 2019, 04:50
Thanks for the quick response - yep, had actually heard of CTAF(R)s, had forgotten that identifier.
Interesting that so many current regs that were drafted well AFTER the replacement of MBZs, still reference MBZs.
Example - MOS 139 - Aerodromes - Volume 2 - the "In Force - Latest Version" was released in Jan 2017 and makes multiple references to MBZs...
Jesephetc,
What you probably don't realise is that this is an efficiency measure.
Given the often circular nature of "mandatory recommended" "radio procedures" , one day somebody will suggest that MBZ's should be established to replace CTAF(R) because pilots can't handle deciding which "recommended" calls are "mandatory" , and the difficulties (as perceived by some coffee clutch in the Glass House) of determining when and where such calls should be made, so let's simplify and lay down mandatory boundaries and mandatory "mandatory" calls, all with a new list of strict liability penalties.
And, low and behold, all the publications that will NOT need to be amended.
So simple, really!!
Tootle pip!!

Left 270
13th Aug 2019, 12:34
I thought CTAF R was gone now too?

Clare Prop
13th Aug 2019, 13:58
CTAF (R) is long gone.
Radio is mandatory if the aerodrome is registered, certified or military.
CAAP 166.01

Squawk7700
13th Aug 2019, 21:15
CTAF (R) is long gone.
Radio is mandatory if the aerodrome is registered, certified or military.
CAAP 166.01

I was waiting for that to come up, to demonstrate what LS was saying !

Lead Balloon
13th Aug 2019, 21:56
It’s lucky that, as a consequence of proper change management and education processes, there’s no confusion out there...

Rule 1 is that if you’re operating an aircraft on the manoeuvring area of, or in the vicinity of, a non‑controlled aerodrome and the aircraft is fitted with serviceable VHF, you must broadcast whenever it is reasonably necessary to do so to avoid a collision, or the risk of a collision, with another aircraft. That’s CAR 1988 166C.

So if you have serviceable VHF, forget about MBZ/CTAF(R)/registered/certified/military confusion.

The only time you need to worry about the distinction between different kinds of non-controlled aerodromes is when you don’t have serviceable VHF. That’s when you go to Rule 2.

Rule 2 is that you must not operate an aircraft on the manoeuvring area of, or in the vicinity of, a non‑controlled aerodrome that is:

(i) a certified aerodrome; or

(ii) a military aerodrome; or

(iii) a registered aerodrome; or

(iv) [complicated fringe example],

unless you have serviceable VHF.

That’s CAR 1988 166E. There are exceptions to Rule 2, but don’t worry about them.

You work out the classification of the aerodrome by looking at the ERSA FAC entry for the aerodrome, top right corner of page 1. E.g. “YSRI MIL”, “YSWG CERT”, “YTEM REG” and “YJER UNCR”.

(The correct reference is the CARs 1988. The CAAP is just the interpretation of someone in CASA - the same people responsible for keeping the MOS up to date and education.)

josephfeatherweight
14th Aug 2019, 10:12
Thanks all - clear as mud! (As per most CASA regs...) :8

LeadSled
15th Aug 2019, 02:21
Thanks all - clear as mud! (As per most CASA regs...) :8
josephetc,
You'r welcome, always nice to have a satisfied customer!!
As in "CASA is satisfied".
Tootle pip!!

Roj approved
15th Aug 2019, 11:24
CASA to every GA operator,

“We’re not happy, until you’re not happy”