PDA

View Full Version : Airport closed

PanZa-Lead
12th Aug 2019, 09:01
Airport closed. Chaos reigns

anxiao
12th Aug 2019, 10:13
“Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon have been informed by the HK International airport authorities that all departing flights are cancelled today Monday 12th August effective immediately. The cancellation period will extend until the morning of tomorrow 13th August. This is a result of the public assembly taking place at HKIA.”

Customers are therefore advised to postpone non essential travel both today 12th and tomorrow 13th
August.

Issued 16.45 HKT 12th August

The photos of the terminal building are quite impressive if anyone can display them. The incredulous query earlier in another thread about a million headed to the airport may be close to the mark. I hope the architects designed those passenger walkways for 150% occupancy, as that is what they have now...

Starbear
12th Aug 2019, 11:18
So what’s your plan now Rupert, more appeasement?

MENELAUS
12th Aug 2019, 11:34
So what’s your plan now Rupert, more appeasement?
What’s your plan Starbear. ? Get the PLA in ?

frampton
12th Aug 2019, 11:39
Any truth in the rumour that "Cathay City" is now known as "Karma City"?

The Range
12th Aug 2019, 11:49
Is there access to Google, Facebook, etc. in HK, or is it just in China where it is not allowed?

Starbear
12th Aug 2019, 12:06
What’s your plan Starbear. ? Get the PLA in ?
sadly that is likely with or without continued appeasement.

SOPS
12th Aug 2019, 12:25
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-12/hong-kong-airport-cancels-flights-as-protests-continue/11406806

Australian coverage.

Ken Borough
12th Aug 2019, 12:50
Flight Radar 24 displays a couple of recent CX departures ex HKG: 886 to Washington and 935 to Manila.

ACMS
12th Aug 2019, 14:09
Quite a few departures got away and more going later this evening. A lot of arrivals in as well.

its not a complete shutdown.

FreemaninHK
12th Aug 2019, 14:42
Bit of a lie from Authority. Many included 888 are going out. Lots of transit pax that have no where to go.. whilst HKG originating pax can't board.. they will continue some of the schedule with the transiting pax.

bananaman2
12th Aug 2019, 15:16
Bit of a lie from Authority. Many included 888 are going out. Lots of transit pax that have no where to go.. whilst HKG originating pax can't board.. they will continue some of the schedule with the transiting pax.

not really a lie... article from the outset said departing flights 'not already checked in'. So if the check-in was/has been completed they can depart. Also if the flight was already airborne/inbound to HKG when the closure was made official, they can continue.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49317975

Also, flight radar shows some cargo flights departing that aren't passenger dependent.

Flex88
12th Aug 2019, 16:34
Glaringly obvious that none of these protesters (and now the banned/suspended CX Crew and Cabin Attendants ) had the highly successful "exposure" to Merlins Top Driven "Unconscious Bias and Inclusivity" training program crammed down many throat's..

So sad as none of this would be happening !!

#TanksAtTheBorder

Got the T-Sirt now #CXit

TOGA!
13th Aug 2019, 09:22
#TanksAtTheBorder

a couple well placed explosive charges could slow that assault!

Scoreboard
13th Aug 2019, 09:46
[QUOTE=frampton;10543125]Any truth in the rumour that "Cathay City" is now known as "Karma City"?[/QUOTE

Pretty funny if it wasnt so serious.....its is karma though....the same company that runs roughshod over its employees tears up conditions of service and even infamously ran a star chamber to sack pilots...now gets told to shut up and take it.....by someone bigger....slow clap....how does it feel cx management? Not nice is it.

Air Profit
13th Aug 2019, 14:07
Time to conclude this party is over. As someone else mentioned, there is a bigger bully than CX in town now. Hong Kong will not recover from this, at least not back to what she was. Beijing will ensure a fairly ruthless control over HK going forward, as they can't afford to let HK infect the thinking across the border. The HK Govt has officially lost control, and even now that useless harridan Carrie Lam won't resign. Reminds me of our management. No accountability. CX is finished as we know it. Most of us quietly understand that.

Apple Tree Yard
13th Aug 2019, 16:20
Highly enjoying watching our feckless leader J Coleslaw squirm in the wind. Here is the man who cravenly gave up his US citizenship in exchange for Chinese citizenship a few years ago to curry favour with the mainland authorities, now being effectively targeted by those same authorities for his moronic and unwelcome comments regarding the protestors. How's that worked out for you Mr. Coleslaw? :ok:. Now, not only is he considered persona non-grata in China, but he can't even go back "home" to the USA (foreigners to the right, have passports ready...! haha). Live by the sword, die by the sword. It's quite serendipitous to watch our incompetent and morally vacuous managers find themselves on the receiving end of the same abuse they have meted out to their staff for years. Time to pull up a comfy chair and get another bag of popcorn... This should be good. (oh, and how is your share price doing Johny and Roop...? Hmmm, lower than it was 20 years ago, another sign of a successful management). You couldn't make this up.

Paul852
13th Aug 2019, 16:35
Cathay does a U turn on staff being involved in protestsIt's a bit more subtle than that. What Cathay has said is a dismissable offence is taking part in (or expressing support for) illegal protests. As I understand it, they are still OK with staff joining legal protests (albeit that the chances of the police legitimising any protests through Notice Of No Objection in the near future seems pretty slim).

Apple Tree Yard
13th Aug 2019, 16:51
...."ok with staff joining legal protests".... Ok, if you believe that you really don't understand how things work in HK, or with our management. If you read between the lines, you can be sure what they mean is that ANY association with the protests they will use against you. Regardless, this has now reached the point of no return, and not all the kings horses or all the kings men can put Humpty HK back together again... It is over. There is no way the mainland is going to let HK become a risk to their control of greater China. If they have to crush a company or two like CX they will not hesitate. Even better for them as they can then let China Southern quietly gobble up market share. CX is finished, not least because of our proven hopeless, clueless and morally vacuous management. Fact is most of the staff really don't car anymore. The cabin crew aren't paid enough to care, and the pilots are mostly looking for other jobs anyway. Or is there anyone here that still think sunny days are coming for pilot careers at CX? :rolleyes:

mngmt mole
13th Aug 2019, 16:56
Just finished having dinner with a friend of mine, married to a cabin crew. He said that many of the cabin crew are planning to defy CX management and become even more involved, in hopes of embarrassing CX even more. As he told me, "most of them really don't care, and they are not going to be told what to think by gwailo managers when it comes to HK's future". JS and RH are toast. As a matter of fact, this airline is toast. The "black swan" event has finally happened and it will devour this airline slowly but surely. Once you get all your employees offside, there is no one left to support you when times get tough. Most of the staff don't really care anymore.

Paul852
13th Aug 2019, 16:59
Having been arrested and through the court system during Occupy I think I do have some understanding of how things work in HK. I have been on a couple of the (legal) protests so far with a friend who is a civilian police employee, and he has no problem with it.

I can't claim the same for CX Management, but I struggle to see how they could fire someone unless they did something that was either illegal, or, whilst identifying as a CX person, bad for CX's image. As a random person walking in a legal procession of several hundred thousand people I can't see that as a dismissable offence. Just on basic statistics, on the 2 million march there must have been at least 15% of CX's workforce.

mngmt mole
13th Aug 2019, 17:18
....they fired 49 people without any due process, even some that they knew were innocent of any transgression. Simply got their names wrong. Once they figured it out, refused to reinstate them anyway. Our management deserve everything coming their way.

Paul852
13th Aug 2019, 18:20
What I would ask Mrs Lam (https://smogsblog.wordpress.com/2019/08/13/what-i-would-ask-mrs-lam/)

positionalpor
13th Aug 2019, 20:02
This is the final nail into the coffin. If there were some pilots pondering to leave now the majority are “actively “ pursuing other venues. Time to leave. Sorry it has been a good ride.

Arfur Dent
13th Aug 2019, 22:38
Cathay Management (sic) have been anticipating this for decades. Merlin, with his Billions, is able to leave. I suggest the rest of you do the same ASAP.
What more incentive is there that Cathay Pacific is over……………………….There are far better options elsewhere. (ie Anywhere but this expensive ****hole)

Air Profit
14th Aug 2019, 00:36
CX management couldn't "anticipate" their way out of a wet paper bag. They are the reason this airline has failed. It's over everyone. Make your escape plans while there are still options. Won't last for long. CX management? (oxymornon).

Air Profit
14th Aug 2019, 00:42
CX is over. The Chinese have 200+ years of resentment to squeeze out of CX. There is no hope of a long term career here. Our management is corrupt, venal and incompetent. The locals hate us, the mainlanders despise us. There is nothing left now other than to witness the epic meltdown that will now engulf HK. It's over.

Air Profit
14th Aug 2019, 00:46
Btw, when you have 2,000,000+ plus young citizens of HK who have discovered their power and are willing to exercise that\, believe the HK you've always known is finished. Th\e mainland may try to crush it, but in doing so they will crush HK. There is no positive outcome to this. CX is caught up in the middle of a political and social rupture that will crush them. They have not better hope of changing that than attempting to turn back the tide. CX is finished. Doub that..?, let's discuss 12-24 months from now.

Slasher1
14th Aug 2019, 01:11
HK is the ChiComms golden goose. China is a currency manipulator with a surprisingly fragile economy. It has a fiat currency which is less stable than even other fiat currencies.

If you kill the golden goose it no longer lays eggs. So killing the golden goose just because it honks or scoffs at you isn’t a really good idea even if you are mad at it or it makes you look bad to your neighbors.

If the goose gets tired of laying golden eggs for your profit and not its your kinda screwed too.

So the trick is to keep the golden goose kinda happy but still getting your cut.

And if you want to kill the goose out of spite it’s best to wait until you have another gold laying goose working for ya.

I’m not sure to what extent the commies realize this.

cxorcist
14th Aug 2019, 01:49
HK is the ChiComms golden goose. China is a currency manipulator with a surprisingly fragile economy. It has a fiat currency which is less stable than even other fiat currencies.

If you kill the golden goose it no longer lays eggs. So killing the golden goose just because it honks or scoffs at you isn’t a really good idea even if you are mad at it or it makes you look bad to your neighbors.

If the goose gets tired of laying golden eggs for your profit and not its your kinda screwed too.

So the trick is to keep the golden goose kinda happy but still getting your cut.

And if you want to kill the goose out of spite it’s best to wait until you have another gold laying goose working for ya.

Almost completely disagree! The “Commies” care more about staying in power than they do about money. Sure, you need money to stay in power, and I agree that their economy is fragile. Yes, they manipulate their fiat currency and are still highly leveraged to exporting goods. However, they have very deep pockets, and they’d rather kill the “golden goose” than see all the other big cities in Mainland China become like HK politically and socially. I fear this may become much worse. If I thought it were going to blow over, I’d be loading up on CX stock right now, but I’m definitely not going to do that. If one needs to see how far “commies” will go to stay in power, look no further than North Korea.

OK4Wire
14th Aug 2019, 02:02
I’d be loading up on CX stock right now, but I’m definitely going to do that

I assume you mean "...not going too..."

Anyway, I agree. I have always had $9 as my line in the sand to load up, but now am rethinking that.

cxorcist
14th Aug 2019, 02:05
I assume you mean "...not going too..."

Anyway, I agree. I have always had $9 as my line in the sand to load up, but now am rethinking that.
Correct, good catch!

Air Profit
14th Aug 2019, 02:38

...umm, Golden Goose...? Slasher, HK is now only 3% of the overall Chinese economy (vs over 20%+ in the 1990's). You might want to reconsider your HK's self-importance quotient.

Less Hair
14th Aug 2019, 09:06
It has some interesting currency that is linked to the US dollar.

frampton
14th Aug 2019, 10:13
With apologies to Paul Anka.

And now, the end is near and as we face the bamboo curtain.

My friends, I’ll say it clear, I’ll state my case, although I’m hurting.

I’ve been, a trusting fool, unravelled each and every which-way,

But more, much more this, from Monday to Friday

But what is their plan, not give a jot?

For all my pains, what have I got?

When typhoons came, I took the call

Helped all I could, oh what a fool,

Their record shows, they thumbed their nose,

Sent me on my way.

ACMS
14th Aug 2019, 11:42
Once again a lot of chest beating going on here.......

Starbear
14th Aug 2019, 12:46
I can't claim the same for CX Management, but I struggle to see how they could fire someone unless they did something that was either illegal, or, whilst identifying as a CX person, bad for CX's image. As a random person walking in a legal procession of several hundred thousand people I can't see that as a dismissable offence. Just on basic statistics, on the 2 million march there must have been at least 15% of CX's workforce.Well they have just announced firing of two pilots, no details on why but definitely linked to current situation. But look what they can tell their real masters now. "See what we did sir, did you see that, did we do good?" "carry your bag sir?"

Paul852
14th Aug 2019, 13:01
Well they have just announced firing of two pilots, no details on why but definitely linked to current situation.Details why on HongKongFreePress (https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/08/14/breaking-airline-cathay-pacific-fires-two-pilots-hong-kong-protests-amid-pressure-beijing/).

Airbubba
14th Aug 2019, 18:16
They didn't have to look too hard to find the A350 SO that posted this picture on LIHKG. I'm sure the union will get his/her job back, right?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1050x848/pdkjr7d_9907aefad9d48dc2bb6f3363c0b784bd7a6793d4.jpg

Paul852
14th Aug 2019, 18:27
Union versus Chinese Communist Party? Only one winner there.

Roy De Kantzow
14th Aug 2019, 21:03
Interestingly, the desire of young Hong Kongers to be more free, may give the Chinese the very excuse they need to take control and make Hong Kong far less free.

Food for thought.

ACMS
14th Aug 2019, 23:47
Interestingly, the desire of young Hong Kongers to be more free, may give the Chinese the very excuse they need to take control and make Hong Kong far less free.

Food for thought.

Agree........

The Range
15th Aug 2019, 13:18
May be the best thing for HK would be to get its independence from China. But I think it won't be easy.

Dilbert68
15th Aug 2019, 14:09
May be the best thing for HK would be to get its independence from China. But I think it won't be easy.

Ha! That's a good one!!! The Chinese will never give up their stranglehold on Hong Kong. What's more, no foreign power will ever cross China in helping HK people achieve independence.

cxorcist
15th Aug 2019, 14:22
Ha! That's a good one!!! The Chinese will never give up their stranglehold on Hong Kong. What's more, no foreign power will ever cross China in helping HK people achieve independence.
All true, but there could become an underground movement by the people of HK that fights hard against the Chinese for generations... Whether they would gain any traction and/or international support is impossible to know.

Paul852
15th Aug 2019, 15:09
Indeed - in much the same way that the Kennedys and other Irish-Americans funded the murderous IRA for decades, HK-Americans/HK-Canadians/etc could fund a HK guerrilla movement.

cxorcist
15th Aug 2019, 18:07
Indeed - in much the same way that the Kennedys and other Irish-Americans funded the murderous IRA for decades, HK-Americans/HK-Canadians/etc could fund a HK guerrilla movement.
Well, if it gets to that point, HK and CX really will be in trouble. Sadly, both sides are of the face saving culture, so a compromise will be difficult to achieve.