PDA

View Full Version : BAe to bid for BFT!

EESDL
7th Aug 2002, 10:41
It is a rumour network after all.

Heard some more rumours on the subject of BAe looking to bid for the contract to replace the Tincan aspect of our once fine flying training system.........any update?

Cougar
8th Aug 2002, 02:51
I wouldn't put it past them. They run BFTS here in Oz now, and whilst the mil world seems to contract everything out nowadays to civvy contractors, why not? After all, economics seems to be the bane of most companies at present, and with the lack of RJ85's being sold now, they have to look at other ways to make some bacon.

L J R
8th Aug 2002, 19:47
I'd be interested in BAe's human resource strategy to get military experienced QFIs from the military and pay them less, while abandoning medical, housing, et al.....

Surely those QFIs who haven't left to join the Larger Luggers intend to stay Mil?

If, however, BAe intends to open RAF Station Honolulu [Noosa, San Diego, Seychelles etc] It may be a worth while prospect.

I'd like to see the BAe QFI sustainment plan and the plan to get Military instruction included [after the firsst batch dries up in 5-7 years from now]

Do they really intend to lure the right QFI with money to overcome the above shortcomings, or will our future pilots be taught formation and low flying by individuals who have 1500 hrs Cessna.

BEagle
8th Aug 2002, 20:16
If they'd got 1500 hrs Cessna they'd be off like a shot to try for an airline job!

Try 250 hours.......

Seem to remember saying all this a while ago - and got flamed for it!

Hertz Van Rental
8th Aug 2002, 21:17
Honolulu no, but Jerez maybe.......

PICKS135
8th Aug 2002, 21:56
So thats why West Freugh Closed. BAe take it over for BFT, just move a load of PA28s and all the JP's and Gnats that are on the civvy register in and Voila.
(c) Picks 135. 2002 - Just in case BAe havent thought of this.:p

moggie
9th Aug 2002, 08:28
There's a lovely big airport on the west coast of Scotland, little traffic, loads of free airspace, big hangars - called Prestwick!

Baldie Man
9th Aug 2002, 14:37
Heard a rumour amongst the instructors out in Jerez earlier this year that the airport was to be used for the Eurofighter training. Not heard anything since.

Personally I think it unlikely any mil flying would be done from an international airport in Spain. They would need loads more extra buildings too as the BAE school is chocka. Having said that - the place is practically a military camp already thanks to the management.

BM.

raytofclimb
10th Aug 2002, 15:29
As far as I know, the tincan will be replaced when the Military Flying Training System comes in. About 2007 I think. This is when we supposedly get new Hawks/Tucanos/Jetstreams (or their off-the-shelf equivalent) supplied by industry and leased by us at a huge amount on a rigid and poorly thought up contract. And who wants to stay at Valley to teach AFT?

Must stop. Cynicism overload.

Ray.