PDA

View Full Version : MAF - Missionary Aviation Fellowship - Flight Simulator in PNG

Mumbai Merlin
7th Aug 2019, 23:01
Apparently MAF in Mt. Hagen PNG has bought and installed a new 'Redbird' flight simulator for Cessna C208 Caravan. The device is to be used for C208 type ratings, IFR renewals and general orientation procedures.
Staggering the amount of money MAF seem to have available.
Six new C208 Caravan's bought last year, two still parked at Mareeba (Qld) with seemingly little regard for the cost of having such amazing assets standing around. Money in being a missionary?

Flingwing47
8th Aug 2019, 21:32
When I worked along side MAF in Wewak and West Papua ( that’s how along ago it was ) all their aircraft were donated by supporters from the USA.
In Sentani they used Grand Commanders with RPM V8 conversions and triple skinned bellies.
Why the triple skinned bellies you ask?
One way steep jungle strips in the interior - on takeoff V1 was brakes release.
Running out of strip? Gear up and slide off on the grass !!!

LeadSled
9th Aug 2019, 01:52
When I worked along side MAF in Wewak and West Irian ( that’s how along ago it was ) all their aircraft were donated by supporters from the USA.
Right on!
The amount of money (with help from the US tax system) donated to MAF is huge, I noticed a magazine article once that had MAF as the second biggest operator of the C208, after FedEx.,
Continued donations to MAF make Cessna very happy.
Tootle pip!!

Wunwing
9th Aug 2019, 05:02
I'm not sure why the aircraft in Mareeba are related to a discussion on the US tax system or the amount that MAF USA may or may not have?
I was under the impression that Indonesian MAF is funded in the USA whereas MAF on the other side of the border and in Australia is funded by Australia and NZ.? Two different organisations who cooperate but aren't really related?
Wunwing

Global Aviator
9th Aug 2019, 05:07
Always wondered how it was fair MAF competing in a commercial environment.....

RadioSaigon
9th Aug 2019, 05:08
...on takeoff V1 was brakes release.

Still is, on many strips -although “gear-up” no longer an option, with predominantly Caravans, Kodiaks, PAC’s and Twotters in use now

LeadSled
9th Aug 2019, 07:19
I'm not sure why the aircraft in Mareeba are related to a discussion on the US tax system or the amount that MAF USA may or may not have?
I was under the impression that Indonesian MAF is funded in the USA whereas MAF on the other side of the border and in Australia is funded by Australia and NZ.? Two different organisations who cooperate but aren't really related?
Wunwing
Wunwing,
Because that's where most of the money comes from, there is one MAF, with local branches to suit local politics as required,, funding is not in isolated silos.
I assume local donations to MAF donations are tax deductible, but the US tax system encourages such donations, in several different forms, to a much greater extent than AU.
Tootle pip!!

Asturias56
9th Aug 2019, 08:01
Somewhere I have a copy of the MAF guide to airstrips and procedures in W Irian/PNG from the early 1980's

it's the most frightening document I've ever read...... and they do it day in, day out for minimal wages as well...............

Flingwing47
9th Aug 2019, 13:42
Yep in 1976 I flew the then Indonesian Minister for Aviation and his group of 10 into Nalca - my favourite strip:
7500 amsl, 1200 ft long
1st 300 10%, 2nd 300 15% 3rd 300 10% and last 300 24% - 30 ft wide.
when he hopped out wide eyed I asked him what he would class the ALA as - he replied “ Goat Strip”

RadioSaigon
9th Aug 2019, 14:45
Yep in 1976 I flew the then Indonesian Minister for Aviation and his group of 10 into Nalca - my favourite strip:
7500 amsl, 1200 ft long
1st 300 10%, 2nd 300 15% 3rd 300 10% and last 300 24% - 30 ft wide.
when he hopped out wide eyed I asked him what he would class the ALA as - he replied “ Goat Strip”

Nalca still a bit of a goat-track, but probably (slightly) improved from what you remember. Koropun, Doufu, Pasema etc... some of my favs. Bugalaga over in the freeway was until relatively recently much like what you describe, but’s it’s had a little renovation recently too. They’re slowly taking all the fun outta the place -between that & the worlds must dense, obtuse, corrupt bureaucracy. Due for a little more training in some of the Dekai/South Gap strips, hopefully next week!

Asturias56
9th Aug 2019, 14:55
I seem to remember wild pigs were a problem..................... digging up the strips on a regular basis...............

RadioSaigon
9th Aug 2019, 15:50
I seem to remember wild pigs were a problem..................... digging up the strips on a regular basis...............

yup, that still happens too... along w the odd ballistic boar making a RWY crossing straight towards the prop, just after you’ve rotated! I’ve also had 1 get out of its bindings in the Pod & kick the pod door out, yet another managed to escape its crate in-flight, which had me scrambling for the fire-axe, but fortunately she got herself jammed between the fuselage and the crates occupied by her fellow travellers! Cute pig. A little lippy and she would have made a red-hot date in Paro ��

longrass
9th Aug 2019, 17:27
I assume local donations to MAF donations are tax deductible, but the US tax system encourages such donations, in several different forms, to a much greater extent than AU.
Tootle pip!!

Regardless of who you want to give your money too, regardless of whether you want to give money or not, if the concession laws in Australia were more relaxed, there would be much more money in the system to give. I can’t write of my $1k to Israel Folau through the Australian Christian Lobby, under the banner of supporting freedom of speech (which means I have to donate it out of post tax profits), but if I want to give $1k to Reproductive Rights Australia and have my money go in researching quicker and more efficient ways of discontinuing life by cutting the spinal cord of a child still in the womb, then that’s cool, and I can use their tax invoice to reduce my tax paid.

Pretty weird system if you ask me.

Despite the religious aspect, regardless of whether you believe or not, the libertarian in all of you should support the right of the people to give their pre tax dollars to people who are willing to do the work they are not.

I can employ someone to kill unborn children in the womb and I can employ someone to deliver bibles, but if I want someone else to do it on contract, I can only write off one.

Food for thought.

packapoo
9th Aug 2019, 22:42
That other mob with a religious bent funded by snecret American money (cough, cough) still flying their aircraft around in the bush while they translate the Bible into pidgin?
Just curious, sorry for straying......

Flingwing47
10th Aug 2019, 11:47
I took our engineer in there once - a lovely bloke called Mike Egan.
Mike was as wide as he was tall. When he got out all the kids went crazy and started yelling and laughing - they had neve seen a chubby bloke before.
When he asked me what they were saying, i told him him they thought he looked good to eat - they were still cannibals in those days.
He go back in the cockpit in about 2 seconds - i had never seen him move so fast before !

Johhny Utah
11th Aug 2019, 00:10
This mob?
SIL AVIATION (http://www.silaviation.org/)
Part of the Summer Institue of Linguistics:
Summer Institute of Linguistics Papua New Guinea Branch (http://www.silpng.org/)
Based at Aiyura
https://goo.gl/maps/ZQkt8iedPJHQ41s6A

Ascend Charlie
11th Aug 2019, 07:40
When he asked me what they were saying, i told him him they thought he looked good to eat - they were still cannibals in those days.

Like those lines from "Liklik Retpela Hat" (Little Red Riding Hood):
"Oh, lapun mama, yu gat bikpela tit tumas! Wanem olsem?"
"Olsem long kisim yu kaikai, Liklik Retpela Hat!"

Minosavy Masta
11th Aug 2019, 10:13
MAF SIL Catholic Missions, Hmmmmm seems to me the saying I heard back in the 60s becomes more of a truism as time goes by............The Missions went up there to do good....... and they all did very nicely thank you !!!!

Hamley
11th Aug 2019, 15:25
..Pretty weird system if you ask me...

.. people who are willing to do the work they are not...

That depends very much on your system of beliefs.

Much as the religious/political tone of your post regarding the Australian tax system doesn't make much sense in the context of this discussion, I have always been confused:

A religious organisation operating as a charter company in the NT? Maybe they deliver bibles on the side (oh great), but what does god have to do with Arnhem Land charter ops? What charitable work are they doing apart from charging passengers for charters? Do you get a discount if you go to church on Sunday? Whats the difference regarding where your money goes or how much you're charged when you book a charter with MAF as opposed to some other company? I am genuinely interested.

Their pilots and staff are great people and I want to be clear I mean no disrespect against those hard workers on the front line.

wheels_down
11th Aug 2019, 21:42
As seen countless times on current affair shows there is usually a small group at the top, out of sight, unknown, benefiting greatly from the whole charade.

It would be interesting to track the source of the $30m they just blew on Caravans. I’d imagine the trace ends somewhere in the Caribbean.

The guys are not a great paid a great deal on the front line either. They are working for the love of the Bible. Everyone stands around in a circle holding hands after a daily inspection. Meanwhile another new Caravan magically rolls up ready for another few hundred grand of pre entry ‘MAF Mods’.

packapoo
11th Aug 2019, 22:11
@Johhny, that's the one.

Wunwing
12th Aug 2019, 05:29
It always amazes me how pprune threads wander off track. We started off talking about a sim,then MAF aircraft in Mareeba and now we are on to SIL and Catholic aviation

There have been a number of claims and inferences about MAF on this forum so I contacted them. I am not employed by them and never have been although I have a number of friends who have. My interest in them as an organisation is purely an observer of how people in this mercenary world can still put their money and time where the beliefs are.

These are the facts from MAF office an hour ago.

There is NO US money in the Australian operation

They are standardising on C208s and the C208s sitting around (1 now) are in the process of being prepared for P2 operations.

Wunwing

wheels_down
12th Aug 2019, 05:50
That’s fantastic but where did the 30 mill for the last half dozen Caravans come from?

Wunwing
12th Aug 2019, 06:20
That’s fantastic but where did the 30 mill for the last half dozen Caravans come from?

I am not a conspiracy theorist and I don't think that it came from the Caribbean.

If they are standardizing on one type, I imagine someof the purchase price at least will come or has come from the disposal of the GA8s. To me going away from a mixed fleet, if it can still meet needs is just good business.

Having aircraft standing around for conversion,especially if they have to meet specific fitouts or changes for P2 rego is normal. Also normal to fly out hours on the GA8s if they have to be overhauled prior to sale?

The Australian arm of MAF has been running from just after WW2. They would have access to all kinds of legitimate funding.
Why are you suggesting their ops are anything but legitimate?

Wunwing

geeup
12th Aug 2019, 07:13
Not to many operators in PNG are willing to go to bush strips these days. Not real sure Jesus & friends are wanted at many of them but the cargo is..

MAF have always been a charter company that doesn’t pay tax etc.

Sim sounds like a waste of money but so does religion to me.

Octane
12th Aug 2019, 12:15
Flying into Nalca..
https://youtu.be/PBP16E44ifI

reefrat
13th Aug 2019, 09:25
Was supporting a helicopter supplied drill rig out of Tari a while back and I heard rather than . watched a MAF Cessna takeoff in fog with viz 10 feet.I asked the chief Okanagan pilot how the they managed when our helicopters were grounded. He explained that there were rules about viz. IFR,VFR and IFJ,,turns out IFJ is I fly with Jesus

geeup
14th Aug 2019, 01:58
Last time I read the rule book (CARs not the Bible) charging fares & freight = charter operation.

More then happy to be corrected.

LeadSled
14th Aug 2019, 02:07
Folks,
MAF is a highly respected outfit that provides services throughout many countries in the third world, particularly Africa, I don't really understand why some of the dills on pprune would want to stick it to them.
As for "charter" etc., just let us say that the further you are from Head Office, the more "appropriate" are the interpretations of the "regulations".
Indeed, there is a Chinese proverb that very roughly translates as: The sky is blue, the sun is shining and we are a long way from Beijing.
Tootle pip!!

ANCIENT
14th Aug 2019, 02:14
To bring you all up to date MAF is now one organisation through out the world. Support comes from many different country organisations.
In the past it was very territorial i.e. Australia did PNG and parts of OZ, USA did Indonesia and South America, England mainly Africa.
Now they have all combined so resources can be used more efficiently.

gulliBell
14th Aug 2019, 12:46
Yeah, MAF are nice people. They put me up in their house overnight once when I got stuck in Telefomin. Just remember, wait to say grace before you get stuck into dinner!