PDA

View Full Version : Google have trapped me - yet again !

Telfer86
5th Aug 2019, 10:00
Hi All

Onto my second pixel , I had the first one until it "bricked" on me a few days ago. Not sure if I will be able to recover any data - my bad I didn't back up , rookie error huh ?

Despite the bricking I was happy with the pixel so purchased another one , this time a 3a - the flagship divided by two kind of model

Against my better instincts I logged into gmail on the 3a , but did this from the browser (chrome) not the app.

The issue I have is that I haven't been able to figure out how to log out of gmail from the chrome browser , did try erasing browsing history but as soon
as you went back to gmail , yes the inbox popped up for all to see

I don't work for MI5 and do not engage in immoral or unlawful behavior , but I do like to have my privacy respected the fact is other people do get
to handle my 3a , and my gmail account contains both personal & business data - which quite simply I don't want out there for all folk to see

Any other tips for people just starting out with a new android so the good folk from Palo Alto aren't tracking you relentlessly and bombarding you with
their ever so helpful suggestions and ideas

Thank you

MacBoero
5th Aug 2019, 10:33
I log into Gmail occasionally from my iPhone in the web browser. Assuming it looks much the same. Tap the icon that looks like a 3 line equal sign, top left corner. You email address should appear at the top as a drop down, tap this. Then tap "Sign out of all accounts".

jimjim1
5th Aug 2019, 15:22
I use gmail from a browser and as mentioned above signing out seems to work for me. I most often though use the browser's Private Mode (or incognito mode or whatever it's called on your browser) which is a separate browser session which does not see the main session's cookies. When all private browser windows are closed all browser data is cleared. On re-opening the private mode I have to sign in again.

I would expect (I am not an expert though) that deleting the browser cookies should also sign you out. Browser History is something specific and is unrelated to cookies. It is a list of the most recent pages (possibly all pages) that you have visited. I think I recently tried deleting all the google related cookies that I could see and that did successfully persuade the browser to forget my gmail sign in.

If you delete all the cookies you will lose all saved sign in data. Make sure that this will not excessively inconvenience you.