PDA

View Full Version : Menwith Hill?

EESDL
7th Aug 2002, 07:35
No not 'Men in Black' but Menwith Hill........
Open/insecure forum etc but has anybody a general idea what the Yanks are doing there?
Just bought a house in the area and expecting the local to be full of Yanks.........

Gainesy
7th Aug 2002, 07:57
http://www.fas.org/irp/facility/menwith.htm

Federation of American Scientists, open source; basically its a SigInt place.

tony draper
7th Aug 2002, 09:02
Got a nice cuppa tea off the ladies camped outside there once.
:rolleyes:

DeepC
7th Aug 2002, 09:07
If media is correct.... they are listening in to sensitive commercial communications for the benefit of corporate America.

Probably partially true but since 9/11 and the criticism of the US Int community they are probably working 99% on tracking threats to the US.

Very controversial installation.

EESDL
7th Aug 2002, 10:35
Thanks, guess I won't be asking too many questions then!

rivetjoint
7th Aug 2002, 11:56
It keeps a lot of local people in jobs.

solotk
7th Aug 2002, 12:53
.....and they can always guarantee never to get an engaged tone:D

DamienB
7th Aug 2002, 12:55
And provided possibly the funniest ever Mark Thomas vs MoD skit ever.

http://www.cewap.co.uk/menwithhilltours/wwwmenwithhill.com.htm

canberra
7th Aug 2002, 18:03
menwith hill monitors all uk phones/faxes emails etc on behalf of the british government. hands up all those who thought gchq did it? gchq are forbidden by law to eavesdrop in the uk so menwith hill kindly carries it out for them.

ORAC
7th Aug 2002, 19:08
Fairs fair, GCHQ supposedly does it for the USA since the NSA/CIA are forbidden to do it there. Sort of a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch your's" arrangement. :D

sangiovese.
7th Aug 2002, 19:45
Great, so now I've looked at that website link, they'll probably look in my computer! Good job I've deleted all the Frankie Vaughan.

Oh, bomb president satellite terrorist kill sheepsh@gging banana whilst I'm here:) :) :)

infsys
7th Aug 2002, 22:21
One thing is for sure, they will be watching this like hawks.

Jackonicko
7th Aug 2002, 22:58
Do self censor steeplebush, old boy, cos this is interesting enough not to want it to be Pruned!

Gratuitous offensive 'joke' coming up....

Anyone else wonder why we elected someone who can't even get the hang of a packet of rubbers?

BEagle
8th Aug 2002, 06:09
You mean that YOU'RE one of the fools that voted him in?

Semtex, kalashnikov, Saddam.....good morning spooks!

Whipping Boy's SATCO
8th Aug 2002, 06:19
Jackonicko, you have assumed a monogomous relationship?

:D

Jackonicko
8th Aug 2002, 10:46
Had very interesting pub-chat as to who the father might be (restricting ourselves to MPs) if not Blair. Favourite had to be Blunkett - probability wise, though many hoped that it would turn out to have been Boateng.

But not many people have sufficient lack of taste and sympathy to engage in such inane drivel even when pissed.....

Good job Menwith don't have a bug in the King Billy, however.....

Mad_Mark
8th Aug 2002, 12:31
If such a system exists (which it almost certainly does), do you not think that by writing posts that include possible keywords you are causing a bigger workload for the analysts? I am sure they probably have far more important things to be doing for the good of the free world at the moment than having to check posts and mails from spoofers - like snooping for extramarital relationships by members of the Royal Family.

No? Oh well.

MadMark!!! :mad:

Arkroyal
8th Aug 2002, 16:24
Fancy putting the poor blighters in Yorkshire. One county where they will be unable to find a decent pint of ale, even if they do fill EESDL's local.

Must have been Blinkett. He's the only blind man in the gevernment!

Jackonicko
8th Aug 2002, 17:22
Whoever the guilty man was, with teeth like that we can only hope (for humanitarian reasons) that oral sex wasn't on the menu......

BEagle
8th Aug 2002, 18:29
Jacko, why did you want 'STEEPLEBUSH' censored? It appears on one of the posted weirdo-links!

AK47....CIA....Diana....Aurora....Area 51....NRO....Marilyn Monroe.... Evening, Spooks.

Jackonicko
9th Aug 2002, 11:37
BEags, believe that word to be sensitive D-wise.

And just to attract attention 51 Squadron Nimrod R1, PR9 SYERS,

Who's that knocking on the door, back in a mo..........

BEagle
9th Aug 2002, 17:23
Which word? STEEPLEBUSH??

Taliban....comrades...Kruschev....Kennedy...McCarthy...Tonop ah...FTD...UFO...chemtrails...bomb...anyone know where there's some Plutonium for sale...Iraq...Iran...Israel...Italy...Iceland...I an' I tinkin' we takin' the pi$$ out of the Spooks.....

ORAC
9th Aug 2002, 19:35
A joke's a joke, but repetition kills it. And I personally wouldn't want Danny to get a pointed call about hosting someone deliberately trying to aggrevate the security forces and have to start think about appointing a moderator for the forum. Maybe it's about time to start acting a bit more maturely?

Scud-U-Like
10th Aug 2002, 01:39
Yes, the keywords gag has been well and truly milked in this forum.

In any case, it is a common misconception that 'Echelon' intercepts random strings of keywords. Context is as important as content.

P.S. Am I the only one who finds Mark Thomas not particularly funny? How often are we supposed to laugh at someone in authority being tongue-tied when unexpectedly confronted by a camera, a mic and a little London gob$hite? Phoenix Nights: now that's funny!

BEagle
10th Aug 2002, 07:06
Who the heck is Mark Thomas?

Personally I don't give a stuff whether my e-mail, fax or phone is tapped, having nothing to hide from anyone. But I do object to the 'pretend it doesn't exist' form of institutional lying, however, as well as lying politicians and greedy corporate thieves.

....oh, and just to keep Them happy, 'The material has now arrived safely, Mohammed'.

Spot 4
10th Aug 2002, 07:53
Check out:

http://www.infowar.com/civil_de/civil_060298a_j.html-ssi

It appears to be quite a plausable description. Makes you wonder if the US are really on out side or if President Tone is just a puppet being pulled by Dubya inc:

I like the bit about Englishmen never being European though, and why should we!

One thing for sure, when the car with the tinted glass and guys inside wearing their std issue shades park outside my house, they will stand out like K9 bo11ox. Come on you Secret Service.

I didnt want a PV anyway:)

solotk
10th Aug 2002, 11:34
I admit myself and Beags kicked the keywords thing to death, but it was good fun.

Reading back, you'll notice all my posts prior to this one deleted, as I believe, the point's been made, and you lot are getting tired of spook windups too :)

However, be assured in the knowledge, that spookery is alive and well. In recent times, a team of peeps who were never there, kicked the front door down of a local establishment, and seized material therein, all documented in the local press. Must admit, my intital feelings were "Took you long enough" but it got done.

However, the biggest Mosque hereabouts, has just featured in the news, for allowing copies of Al-Queada's latest recruiting message including footage of the WTC, and how wonderful it was to go on open sale.

News crews turned up and dispassionate reporting went out the window, as they got the head Imam on the ropes. The lying b*stard said he knew nothing about it, except the news peeps had filmed it being sold in the open -lol

I'm with Beags on this,I've nothing to hide, and proud of the job I do, in support of the best Armed Forces on the face of the planet, but I don't want the waters muddied, by self-serving politicians and corporate spamism

PPP

Actually, I just had a thought......... On 9/11 the preferred instrument of mass destruction was of course the aircraft. PPrune is the biggest? Pilots forum in the world, and well known. I kinda think, that this board might have gone onto the spooklist a long time ago. Still, hopefully after a few months, they took it off the "essential reading for security purposes" list, and put it on the "Essential reading with a coffee and donuts, cos we never laughed so hard" list

Any spooks care to comment? Use invisible ink if you like, I seen all the Bond Films and that :D

steamchicken
10th Aug 2002, 15:02
I was brought up about five miles from the place - only one good story, not so long ago they got some budget for a fast food concession on the site. In the best democratic traditions they strive to defend, they decided to hold a vote on exactly what. The spooks chose a Taco Bell, because in the words of my informant "until now we had to drive to Lakenheath for tacos". LAKENBLOODYHEATH! Only Americans would drive from North Yorkshire to Suffolk for vile fast food...

PICKS135
10th Aug 2002, 22:07
Anything is better than 'Harrys' fish and chips in Guiseley:p