PDA

View Full Version : US DHS issues GA hacking warning

Pearly White
31st Jul 2019, 14:04
Apparently GA aircraft are now vulnerable to hacking.

Cue the CASA shutdown of GA....

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/hacking-security-alert-issued-for-small-planes-20190730-p52cbs.html?btis

kaz3g
31st Jul 2019, 21:50
“The DHS alert does not apply to older small planes with mechanical control systems.”

Seems the Auster will be ok then?

machtuk
31st Jul 2019, 23:00
Never gunna happen in OZ, our ASIC system will keep us all safe!....cough cough!:-)

Capt Fathom
31st Jul 2019, 23:49
Seems the Auster will be ok then?

You'll be fine. Make sure you use a VPN. :}

Squawk7700
1st Aug 2019, 12:58
People (some of them very close to home - and I know exactly who you are!! ) are regularly trying to hack my webcams site. I’ve found some Russians that are trying regularly to get into it too.

smiling monkey
1st Aug 2019, 14:54
People (some of them very close to home - and I know exactly who you are!! ) are regularly trying to hack my webcams site. I’ve found some Russians that are trying regularly to get into it too.

It's probably the Chinese spoofing Russian IP addresses to make it appear they're from Russia. If they're smart enough to hack, they're smart enough to cover their tracks.

bankrunner
2nd Aug 2019, 01:40
The story relates to injecting false CAN bus messages (as used by Garmin, Dynon etc) into the EFIS. And it's a beatup.

A key principle in cyber security is that if you have unsupervised physical access to a target system, you effectively own it. Same applies here.

If you have ill intentions and you have unsupervised physical access to a light aircraft, there is an infinite number of awful things you could do. Doesn't matter whether that aircraft is a Tiger Moth, or an RV filled with the latest electronic toys.

Sunfish
2nd Aug 2019, 05:25
.Here’s a good idea, let’s suggest to CASA that EFIS systems be required to have an approved user login page with separate user names and passwords for each pilot. All to be controlled by a designated and CASA approved system administrator.

...Then get them to require a 30 character password with upper and lower case letters, numbers and at least 2 special characters. The password to be changed every six months.

..........then have the sessions expire every hour in flight and require a new login.

That will solve the problem!

Should I recount the joke about dealing with a case of crabs?

aroa
2nd Aug 2019, 06:29
Beware some of the ointment treatment for crabs.... can leave you very sore ..and then very bald in private places.!!

OK Sunny...lets hear thr joke .

Cloudee
2nd Aug 2019, 07:00
The story relates to injecting false CAN bus messages (as used by Garmin, Dynon etc) into the EFIS. And it's a beatup.

A key principle in cyber security is that if you have unsupervised physical access to a target system, you effectively own it. Same applies here.

If you have ill intentions and you have unsupervised physical access to a light aircraft, there is an infinite number of awful things you could do. Doesn't matter whether that aircraft is a Tiger Moth, or an RV filled with the latest electronic toys.
Well said. It’s a beat up.

gerry111
2nd Aug 2019, 08:23
Yet another example of the Fear Industry hard at work.